You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lots of Rhinestone questions!  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
Lots of Rhinestone questions!
« on: January 04, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
So I have never stoned a dress before. I have a couple that I got very inexpensively when skate-mart had the 60% off going out of business sale last month. They are simple black dresses that I will use for testing. But I want to bling them up a little bit, for the practice of gluing stones (and also, what is a skating dress without a few rhinestones!).

First dilemma, what pattern to make and what colors to use? One has a simple V neck and back so I will just follow the neckline. But I don't want to use Crystal color because I want it a little more subtle. I was considering Amethyst, Tanzanite, Jet AB (or Hematite) or Black Diamond AB. Any opinions? The other is a turtleneck. I was thinking of just inventing a v neck pattern for the top and a few scattered on the body.

Second dilemma, the Bead Factory has a sale on the old style Preciosa stones and the are really cheap - like 2 gross of 30ss Jet Hematite for $12.90 versus almost $26 for the new style. I have read the old Preciosa were not as sparkly as either Swarovski or the new Preciosa VIVA12 stones. But for a testing dress it's probably fine?? Opinions welcomed. Any experience with the old style Preciosa stones? What is the difference because the Chaton Rose and Extra Chaton Rose? http://www.beadsfactory.com/preciosa-elements/sale.html  (the Non-hot fix ones)

Way to many pretty colors and choices and price points to choose from!

Thanks for any help with this!

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Lots of Rhinestone questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
I haven't used the old Preciosa stones, but I prefer their Viva12 over Swarovski for when I need a color stone without an AB coating. Otherwise I use Swarovski for clear or anything AB coated. That isn't very helpful in terms of choosing which old Preciosa to order, sorry. If they have it for a reasonable amount, I really love black diamond on dark colors and use it often. It doesn't stand out against the fabric like a clear crystal does, but it doesn't get lost like a jet or hematite sometimes can.

One pattern that can be interesting when going along a neckline of a dark colored dress when I'm not going to use more then a few gross is to have them in a line starting with the biggest stone and working to a smaller stone every 1 to 1-1/2 inches. I'll attach a link to a picture to show you what I mean. This is how I stoned the neckline of my daughter's test dress which starts with Magma in 30ss and then black diamond in 20s and then 16ss. It has a sort of contemporary look to it.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.739054292903563.1073741849.541379789337682&type=1&l=241a4bec5a

Have fun!! Stoning is my favorite part of designing and sewing costumes.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:52:20 PM »
I haven't used the old Preciosa stones, but I prefer their Viva12 over Swarovski for when I need a color stone without an AB coating. Otherwise I use Swarovski for clear or anything AB coated. That isn't very helpful in terms of choosing which old Preciosa to order, sorry. If they have it for a reasonable amount, I really love black diamond on dark colors and use it often. It doesn't stand out against the fabric like a clear crystal does, but it doesn't get lost like a jet or hematite sometimes can.

One pattern that can be interesting when going along a neckline of a dark colored dress when I'm not going to use more then a few gross is to have them in a line starting with the biggest stone and working to a smaller stone every 1 to 1-1/2 inches. I'll attach a link to a picture to show you what I mean. This is how I stoned the neckline of my daughter's test dress which starts with Magma in 30ss and then black diamond in 20s and then 16ss. It has a sort of contemporary look to it.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.739054292903563.1073741849.541379789337682&type=1&l=241a4bec5a

Have fun!! Stoning is my favorite part of designing and sewing costumes.

That's a really nice dress design.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »
Thank you, AgnesNitt! My teen and I created that one together. She picked the colors and features and I made it.

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:44:50 PM »
That is a very pretty design - great ideas - thanks!