You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Keeping warm in a skirt  (Read 1515 times)

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
Keeping warm in a skirt
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
This Saturday during my dance test, I realized how much I enjoy skating in a skirt/dress. However, I didn't enjoy how cold I was! I wear Chloe Noel nude tights, and they aren't super warm. My rink is quite cold in the winter, especially in the morning, and my legs were very cold and my feet felt chillier than usual. I normally wear fleece skating leggings and dress socks, but I think the skirt and tights look a bit better for when I'm doing ice dance. Does anyone have any tips to keep warm in a skirt and tights?

Offline icepixie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 16
    • My skating entries at Dreamwidth
Re: Keeping warm in a skirt
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:09:40 PM »
Nothing is as good as pants, but Mondor's thickest tights are the closest thing possible.  I've made it through tests at that rink in them without too much shivering.

They're ribbed and don't look great up close, but from the boards you can't really tell.  Beware that they're thick enough that they might alter the fit of your boot if you get the footed ones.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
When I was wearing dresses year round, I wore a pair of footed tights under a pair of footless. As long as I was moving and not socializing, I stayed warm. Now I wear pants in the winter and dresses in the summer.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
Some people wear two pairs of tights.  I like the one footed pair plus one footless pair - that is a good idea!

And when you are testing it is quite common to be standing around waiting and getting cold - your feet - that is a hard one - maybe boot covers until right before you get on the ice??

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
Wear a pair of capri tights under your long tights.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Nothing is as good as pants, but Mondor's thickest tights are the closest thing possible.  I've made it through tests at that rink in them without too much shivering.

They're ribbed and don't look great up close, but from the boards you can't really tell.  Beware that they're thick enough that they might alter the fit of your boot if you get the footed ones.

I pretty much only practice in fleece leggings once it gets to be October but I have a pair of those I wear when I need to practice in a dress before competition. I wear my normal footed tights with a footless pair of thick Mondors over top and I make it through two hours in a super cold rink.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »
I know these suggestions are all super-obvious, but, just in case you haven't thought of any  of them:

1. I don't know about skirts and tights, but keeping other parts of you warm will help.
2. Heat the boots up thouroughly, inside and out, with a hair drier, before you put them on.
3. Replace the manufacturer's insoles with ones made from closed cell carpet foam, cut (in 3 dimensions) to match the appropriate shape. Make sure you skate on these at other sessions, to make sure they provide the right support and fit everywhere. Closed cell carpet foam is a very good thermal insulator, much better than leather and other typical insole materials. But! For some people it may be too warm.
4. This is probably too obvious to mention, but while you are waiting around, can you wear gloves, a hat, and perhaps a (long ?) coat, that you hand to your coach just before testing? (But not so warm as to make you sweat, as that is counter-productive.)
5. Many rinks have heaters or heating ducts in the air over or near the ice, that help keep down the relative humidity and fog. Can you stay near one?
6. If you sweat during warm-up, wipe it off with a small towel.
7. :) Eat lots and lots in the weeks before the test, so you have lots of body fat?   ::>) 

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
I don't think anyone else has mentioned this,  but in the winter I wear thigh high leg warmers.  The type I get cover basically your whole boot all the way to your thigh and are easily removed over your skate when you are ready to preform or test. You will always have extra length of warmer, so for safety I create a single fold that starts at the top of my boot, you do not want bags of leg warmer hanging around your boots.

In the warmer months I still wear leg warmers with my tights but I just wear the knee high kind,  that again cover my boot.  You do not have to fold those  just pull them down over the heel,  they will cover all but your toes.  I do this because they protect my boots and keep my feet warm.  I wear them with fleece leggings,  under yoga pants and with my skirts and tights. I even carry an extra black pair in my bag because I get way too cold without them.

The kind you want that will easily go over your boot is kind of ruffled and bell shaped at the bottom.  If you get the kind that is completely straight it can be hard to get it to stay over the boot. I buy mine on Amazon or ebay.

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
Thanks so much for all the ideas! I definitely like Query's #7 :) I'll keep some of these in mind for the next time I skate in a skirt.