You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ultima Aspire XP Blades  (Read 6130 times)

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 9
Ultima Aspire XP Blades
« on: December 19, 2016, 12:16:12 AM »
Hi.  Wanted some opinions on the Ultima Aspire XP Blade.  I'm learning waltz jumps and mazurkas right now and I'm about to start Freeskate 1.  I don't plan to ever do any advanced jumps such as double jumps.  I just want a good quality blade that will be versatile enough to handle spins, single jumps, edges.  I've read that some people think this blade is too cheap in terms of its quality but others seem to think it's okay.  I'm an adult skater and this is just a hobby for me so I'm not going to be skating more than 10 hours a week on it.  I don't want to spend money on a blade that's a higher quality than I need.  Any thoughts? 

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Re: Ultima Aspire XP Blades
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »
My current skates (Jackson Freestyles), now slightly more than two years old, came from Jackson with Ultima Aspire XP blades already mounted.  During initial fitting, my fitter checked them for warping and tweaked the toe-in a nudge.  Since then I have put a little under 400 hours on these blades with six sharpenings and have no complaints.  One can always spend more money but unless we're talking about an elite skater I think people for the most part waste money on expensive equipment.  I'm sure if I swapped blades with an elite skater that guy would be able to extract every ounce of potential out of my equipment.  I know I couldn't do the same with his gear!  Bottom line: Ultima Aspire XP blades are of reasonable quality and probably more than adequate for most recreational skaters, including jumpers, spinners and dancers.  Ask yourself if you really need that BMW or if a Chevy will get you to your destination just as well.  If this sounds like advise from someone's grumpy old dad, well--that's because it is!

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks, lutefisk.  That's exactly what I wanted to hear.  When this is just a hobby that I don't have a lot of time to devote to, I didn't want to overpay for something that I just don't need.  The Chevy BMW comparison is a great example! 

Also, I am shopping for new skates and I was actually thinking about getting the Jackson Freestyle but I also was considering the Jackson Competitor that comes with this blade.  I believe this skate is approx. $50 more than the Freestyle at most places.  Do you like your Freestyle boots?  What level are you in right now?  I'm finishing up Pre-Freeskate now and am about to enter the Freeskate level.  Do you recommend your boots for that level or do you wish that you had gotten the Competitor?  Thank you for your help!

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »

Also, I am shopping for new skates and I was actually thinking about getting the Jackson Freestyle but I also was considering the Jackson Competitor that comes with this blade.  I believe this skate is approx. $50 more than the Freestyle at most places.  Do you like your Freestyle boots?  What level are you in right now?  I'm finishing up Pre-Freeskate now and am about to enter the Freeskate level.  Do you recommend your boots for that level or do you wish that you had gotten the Competitor?  Thank you for your help!

I've passed ISI's Free-Style 1 and Ice dance 3--you can see how those levels compare with USFSA's levels by going here and scrolling around:

http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=testing_requirements#10

I've also tested and passed the Canasta Tango with USFSA (got a "retry" on the Dutch Waltz--kinda like flunking gym class but that's the truth!)  Anyway, men don't have as many boot choices from Jackson as women.  I don't think the Competitor (a step up in stiffness from the Freestyle was available for men, at least not when I ordered my boots).  Either that or my fitter didn't think I needed anything beyond the Freestyle boot/Aspire blade combo.  I do recall him saying that he'd rather see me have to upgrade boots in a couple years  rather than me being "over booted".  I told him he was the doctor and so Freestyles are what I got.  They still seem fine.  I have no plans for spending money on boots in the  immediate future.  You could put the $50 bucks towards a private lesson...

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:01:23 PM »
Thanks for the info.  It sounds like you're close to the same level I'm at, with the exception of the ice dance.  I haven't done any of that yet.  But it's good to know that the Freestyle boots will hold up to dancing as well as freestyle moves.  While the idea of having a pair of boots last a long time is nice, I definitely don't want to get over booted.  So I'm leaning towards getting the Jackson Freestyle with the Aspire XP blade.  Thanks for all your help!!!

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
I have Jackson Freestyle boots with Aspire blades built-in. For jumping, at our level, they are good enough. I can't spin, but that has more to do with me than the blade, I think!

The Competitor is stiffer, but stiff doesn't always mean better. Boot fit also depends on your weight. I'm petite, at <100 lbs, and the Freestyles are perfect once they're broken in.

Offline kateskate

• Axelicious!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
Thanks for the info, sampaguita.  I'm still shopping for skates but the Jackson Freestyle is something I'm definitely interested in.  It's good to hear that you like this style and that it's appropriate for our level.