You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rating a Rink  (Read 1809 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Rating a Rink
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:14:37 PM »
I visited a rink over the weekend that I had never been to before.  DH is a good sport: he usually humors me by offering to stop at any rink we notice so I can check it out.  I make an effort to visit a new rink every time I take a trip, as long as I don't inconvenience my family too much. 

While I was there, I wondered how others "rate" a rink.

Flooring and rink maintenance is first.
The rubber flooring was older, but serviceable with very few open seams or gaps.  No silly exposed wood or concrete in the walking areas.  I didn't skate, but I usually check the hockey boxes to see if the sessions are supervised well or if they're trashed.  This rink had a harness over the ice, which was an unexpected (good) surprise!

I always, always, always check out the bathrooms.  Broken or filthy bathrooms usually means poor maintenance elsewhere in the rink.  Old but serviceable bathrooms are usually in rinks where they make the most of what they have: I have no problem with that.
This rink was fine: old-fashioned wooden stalls with working locks and fixtures that were clean and working.

Estimate the balance between public, hockey and figure skating. 
This rink was good: they had a lot of public sessions after school and on weekends.  They had short freestyles every weekday morning and afternoon; hockey was almost every evening.

I also look at what type of programs they offer for figure skaters. 
This weekend's rink used the ISI LTS with a Production team program, power and stroking classes.
They had a really nice tribute wall with all of their Senior / Gold level USFSA skaters displayed and credited.

Then, I check out the rentals.
Hard blue storm trooper boots with zip buckles.  One set of grandparents had to ask for help to get them closed.  In the rink's favor, the skates were clean and shiny, so I assume the blades were in decent shape.

"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Rating a Rink
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »
Don't forget:
a. food
b. lockers
c. seating
d. ice monitors
e. the quality of the ice especially where the zamboni goes in and out.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 05:27:36 AM »
Don't forget:
a. food
b. lockers
c. seating
d. ice monitors
e. the quality of the ice especially where the zamboni goes in and out.

add warmth of rink to that list. I like warm rinks where I don't need to be dressed like the abominable snowman when I first step out. There's no reason why rinks can't be kept frozen and the air kept warm.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »
I just got back to the rink after 3 weeks and they have lockers for the first time. This affects my entire wardrobe as now i don't have to buy jackets with pockets for my wallet since I can now put it in  a locker. Woo hoo!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/