You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Hello, I'm a skater's grandmother!  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Crabcakes

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Hello, I'm a skater's grandmother!
« on: November 23, 2010, 06:52:25 PM »
I was looking for something my granddaughters could do to help relieve stress from a rough family situation, and took them ice skating. (Not me- I watched). They LOVED it and did well! However, there is NO one to give us advice. I gleaned what I know from parents and grandparents at the rink. The girls are in Basic 3 and 5 and loving it!

I just read someone talking about over/under lacing. I always laced by granddaughter's skates in what seemed to me, an intuitive way. I did them over. Then when we bought new skates, the sales man laced them from the bottom up. Does it make a great difference?

Learning as I go! Thanks!

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Hello, I'm a skater's grandmother!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
Bless you- skating will be a great escape for the girls :)

Talk to the coaches. They know everything you could ever need to know. Snag them coming off the ice.

Have the skater decide how she likes to lace them. I pull mine tight on the foot, cross & tie them at the instep, then lace up all four hooks, going over/under on the hooks. It's pretty individual for each skater. At their levels, it's not a big deal, it's just important that the laces are snug and unlikely to loosen.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:10:10 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums!

As long as the skates are tied tightly, over/under the hooks doesn't matter. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Crabcakes

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:39 AM »
Thanks! There is a lot to learn. Once they started, the coaches CAN be helpful, but some of them are a bit stand-offish. Nothing gives me more pleasure than watching them learn and practice!  I wish *I* could get out there with them. At the rink where the girls skate, the EMTs are there EVERY time we are... I do not want to be one of their victims, er, patients! But it looks so wonderful.

I used to skate on a duck pond with twigs and duck poo, so the rink looks fabulous to me, even though a lot of patrons complain about the ice maintenance!