You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Women's street shoe size compared to Riedell boot size  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
Women's street shoe size compared to Riedell boot size
« on: June 17, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
If you wear Riedell boots, can you share what your boot size is compared to street shoe size? I am looking to order a pair of 255 Motion boots. I've measured and measured and come up with a 9 wide according to the Riedell charts. But I wear a 9.5 or 10 street shoe. I've heard that Riedells fit about 1.5 to 2 sizes smaller than street shoe size so I am wondering if this is correct. I don't have access to an expert fitter but I am going to talk to the guy at our pro shop.  But I just wanted to get an idea of other people's experience with this.

Thanks!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Women's street shoe size compared to Riedell boot size
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:42 PM »
I wear size 6B in street shoes.  I've had 2 pairs of Riedell boots and both times was measured at 5A/AA.  Hope that helps!

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:58:25 PM »
I wear a 9.5/10 in street shoes. I've been in Riedells for over 10yrs now and wear 7.5/8 depending on the boot. Regular width in street shoes, B/A in Riedell.

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:15 PM »
I wear a 6.5/7 women's street shoe. My skates are 5.5 C/B, Bronze Star. My first pair of Riedells, Emeralds, I think, were a 5 W, which was too wide for me. I have a disappearing heel.

Offline cittiecat

• Freeskate 2
  • Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 5
    • Cittie Tells. . . not just skating
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:10:02 PM »
I have Riedell Diamonds in 8w and my street shoes are usually 9.5 to a 10.

These are the measurements for my boot: length up to 10 3/8" and a width up to 9 1/4”

These are my foot measurements:
Length:
Left 9 7/8
Right 10
Width
Left 9 1/2
Right 9 5/8

You'll note I ended up going with a boot a little longer than my longest foot, but the width by numbers looks a little snug. In actual fit I only needed to have the pinkie toe area punch out a hair in the right booth, otherwise the fit was very comfortable. All this to say I think the length is extremely critical but the width has a little leeway, which makes sense because your lacing can have some impact on width.

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 01:24:41 AM »
I wear a 10 regular width in street shoes, my Riedell skates are a 9.5A and they fit perfectly. I ordered my Reidells off eBay, they are an older model 355 Silver Star. I was very nervous ordering my first pair of "real" skates off eBay but they seemed to be just my size and they were only $100 with MK Silver Star blades attached and had never been skated in. I figured they would be a fabulous deal if they fit and if they did not, $100 was not the worst thing. I was gong to try to resell them if they didn't fit.

Prior to ordering them I went to Kenzie's Closet and checked out the Riedell size chart. That chart was very accurate for me, I measured my foot length  just over 10" and my width 9-9 1/8" which fell within the 9.5A range. When I first got them I thought they were too small, both width and length. I switched my socks to thin trouser socks and then they felt ok, snug but not horrible, I could wiggle my toes a bit. It took about ten skates to break then in and now they feel like an extension of my foot, absolutely perfect. Once I broke them in I did notice that the ankles were just a tad loose and the boot was doing some creasing where the flex notch would be. I solved that problem by wearing Bunga pads on my ankles and switched my lacing technique to the one recommended by Edea and that solved both problems.

I adore my Riedells. it seems like I read quite a bit of criticism about them, I rarely meet another Riedell skater, most people at our rink wear Harlicks or Edea. I got extremely lucky with what I paid for mine, I would have paid way more for good quality skates that fit beautifully like these do, I truly love wearing them.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »

I adore my Riedells. it seems like I read quite a bit of criticism about them.....

Aww. This comment makes me sad. Back in the day I wore Riedells.  I do not have a Riedell foot, and this was before the availability of split widths.  But despite the inevitable fitting issues I will say that I loved my skates. They're still solid and in great shape despite their age.....>30 yrs. I'd still be using them if they fit. But they were stretched to an inch of their life all those years ago.  I would totally get another pair of Riedells if I could get some that fit my feet. They aren't available in continental Europe so it's a non starter.

Fwiw, these skates are a 7.5AA. I wore then, and still do a 9 shoe. I won't discuss width because that's where my problems lie.....super narrow heel (the AA part), but wider ball (C in Jackson's). This might not be worth much if they've at all changed their sizing since the 80s....

Good luck with the great skate hunt!!

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 07:44:29 PM »
Aww. This comment makes me sad. Back in the day I wore Riedells.  I do not have a Riedell foot, and this was before the availability of split widths.  But despite the inevitable fitting issues I will say that I loved my skates. They're still solid and in great shape despite their age.....>30 yrs. I'd still be using them if they fit. But they were stretched to an inch of their life all those years ago.  I would totally get another pair of Riedells if I could get some that fit my feet. They aren't available in continental Europe so it's a non starter.

Fwiw, these skates are a 7.5AA. I wore then, and still do a 9 shoe. I won't discuss width because that's where my problems lie.....super narrow heel (the AA part), but wider ball (C in Jackson's). This might not be worth much if they've at all changed their sizing since the 80s....

Good luck with the great skate hunt!!

Yeah, I dunno why I feel like I see more negatives about Riedell experiences than positives on forums, and in person too. They sell Riedell at our rink and a few of my skating friends have worn them in the past without success. There is never a consensus as to what is wrong with them, they all had different issues  (too narrow, too wide, unable to accommodate split width etc. )

I think I may have a "Riedell foot". My toes are gently tapered, my foot is on the narrow side but not excessively so, and my heel/ball  proportion is not dramatically different, no major differences in width. My husband jokes that I have "the perfect foot" and I have actually had stangers approach me when wearing sandles telling me my feet were pretty  (I do not wear nail polish and have never had a pedicure, so I assume they were talking about the shape). Thank goodness those strangers were women, if a creepy guy told me that, I would have to use my Riedell feet to run away.

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 210
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »
I definitely don't have a Reidell foot, but I really like the ones I have. I like the construction of them and the feel while I'm wearing them.

My street size is a 6/6.5. I wear 6s in sneakers.  My left foot is also slightly smaller than my right which makes fit interesting sometimes. My skates are currently a 5A. The length is good on me, but I'm going split width next time to a 5BA because I have a wider ball and it's a tad too compressed right now.

Did you measure yourself or did someone assist you? It's harder to get an accurate measurement when you do it by yourself.