You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: It's blade time.....  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
It's blade time.....
« on: April 15, 2016, 03:00:56 AM »
Hello folks....I'm on my last season with my Vision Synchros.   I'd love your input to help me make a smart choice. The VS's are OK, but I definitely am not a fan of the "angled drag pick".  At the beginning I liked how I spun on them (but was coming off a 30ish year old flatter than the ice itself MK Prof).  I've narrowed the next choices down to the MK Prof or the Ultima Gold Seal Clone.

Why those two models:  My biggest priority is a cross cut toe pick, which narrows my choices (I get hollered at for leaving "ginormous craters in the ice" for simple pivots and 1/2 jumps....these dancers haven't seen real holes in the ice, but whatev's).

I always skated on Profs before.  Got my 1A and 2S in them back in the day.  Doing Solo dance now (which over here is pattern dances, but also free-style without the jumps) so really this is probably the most reasonable choice. (NB- does Ultima do a Prof clone?  The Legacy????)

Why Gold Seals (Ultima Supreme's).....well, I'm all grown up now and don't outgrow blades every year anymore.  I'm a good spinner and really want to try the spin rocker plus side honing, which as I understand it is like a grown up Professional.  I'm curious about the 8' rocker.  They look like fun.  Plus my much trusted US skate tech really likes the Ultima line...and they're reasonably priced over here, too.

My biggest concern, and probably the dealbreaker is that we have new sharpeners at the rink.  One does a crappy job (so far) and the other is OK.  This latter is very conscientious though and has a daughter who competes in Division one at the level above me (I'm pre silver on my patterns, silver/pregold for solo) so he's acutely aware, constantly asks for feedback, and wants to do a good job.  He's the only one doing my skates.  If our rig can handle it, I'd even consider the matrix models to yet further cut down on the frequency of sharpening.....

What are y'alls thoughts/ experiences?

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: It's blade time.....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »
My kiddo went from the MK Pro to the Gold Seal a couple of months ago which was probably the hardest adjustment she has made yet. Initially she felt really clumsy and everything was a mess for a couple of weeks. Now She feels more stable on jumps, she went from barely making it around to 8-12 fast revs for her backspin (that took God awful long to achieve), and I think she seems faster on everything and more in control. Her skating in general has really pushed forward, but we changed up everything all at once - new skates, new blades, new rinks, new coaches so her improvements are more then just the blade.

Our tech made it very clear that NOBODY was to sharpen these other then him because GS's notoriously get wrecked by sharpeners because of the side honing. He is far from us so I've been know to use somebody else in a jam but now that isn't an option.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:20:28 PM »
The GS clones don't have side-honing in the same way as the original GS do, so that might make it less of an issue.... there's more "flat" blade to grab on to with the blade holder.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »
The GS clones don't have side-honing in the same way as the original GS do, so that might make it less of an issue.... there's more "flat" blade to grab on to with the blade holder.

Sarahspins.....does this mean they're easier (=less technical) to sharpen?  Do you know by chance if the Supremes are side honed as well?  That's not mentioned anywhere, and I haven't emailed them yet about it.  Not sure what difference that makes to the sharpening.

And haha Dressmakingmomma!  I wish the GS/clones would be magic like that.  Especially with my backspin.  I'm having trouble getting it back.  I suspect that the improvements had more to do with her coaching change than the equipment alone. Congrats to your daughter- I bet she's feeling terrific with all those improvements (and hopefully they're not being overshadowed by newer, as yet unmet challenges).

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 03:35:40 PM »
Yep, I suspect the new coaches as well. She is feeling good - and they are training her harder then ever. She is putting in less hours yet coming off the ice so sore - but happy. Good luck on your decision, I agonize each time we have to get new skates.