You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Edea vs Risport  (Read 14574 times)

Offline Steffi

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Edea vs Risport
« on: April 10, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »
Hey, thanks for reading! Any input is much appreciated  :love:

So I live in Malaysia, and here not a lot of people can afford skating since it costs a lot plus there's like 3 rinks in the whole country and only one of them is Olympic sized so only one skate shop for figure skating :'( :'( :'(

The first pair of boots I think were a bit too large or something Risport excellence 265, they hurt my feet a lot. I really don't know if it's the size problem or my wide feet, it's like V shaped foot lol. I neede to take them off like every 30 minutes and it's becoming a big problem.

So now I need to change skates..... Edea or Risport? Also because I'm very indecisive  :nvm:
Can I have some suggestions?
Thanks

Online tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: Edea vs Risport
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
If you have a combo of wide toe width and a relatively narrower heel width, take a look at Jackson.  They model their boots (at least their freestyle line) with that particular target combo.

Offline Loops

• Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:22:09 PM »
Edea have a wider last, so might be more comfortable. The heel fit is very important though, it must be snug. It's easier to have the front of your boots punched out than have the heel squeezed. Have you tried getting the boots widened in the front? If your current skates are heat moldable, you'll need to go to the skate shop for that, as its done with heat now and takes about 10 minutes or so.  Cobblers will use a press, which doesn't work on the newer boot technology. I had to have mine punched out, and do some different lacing, and my skates are comfortable now.

Here's how they're laced: http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=6703.msg81003#msg81003
The first post in that thread has a link to info on different lacing techniques to alleviate different problems.

Fwiw your situation sounds extreme, but non custom skates rarely fit correctly without some punching out here and there. Perhaps some of the above can get you through while you're looking for new boots.

Good luck!

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:14:41 PM »
Your foot shape sounds like you would fit GAM skates (Canadian brand) well. Edeas may be a little better for you but they still have a pretty similar shape to Risports. I'm not an expert though, so don't take this to heart too much. Good luck!
sk8 obsessed

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:43:19 PM »
If you have a combo of wide toe width and a relatively narrower heel width, take a look at Jackson.  They model their boots (at least their freestyle line) with that particular target combo.

Terrible advice in my experience.  I had two pairs of Jacksons which were both too wide in the heel.  My current Risport RF2 are just about right.  They are cleverly designed to lock the heel in place.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
If your current skates are heat moldable, you'll need to go to the skate shop for that, as its done with heat now and takes about 10 minutes or so.

You can do it at home (at your own risk, if you have the right boots).  Jackson has an instructional video on YouTube.

Online tstop4me

• Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 09:35:36 PM »
Terrible advice in my experience.  I had two pairs of Jacksons which were both too wide in the heel.  My current Risport RF2 are just about right.  They are cleverly designed to lock the heel in place.

What model and vintage Jacksons did you have?  If you look at the Jackson videos on their website

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/ContentPage.aspx?SitePageId=1Gm3i0Fx27Tbgd6kv9UKGg1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E,

there is a segment on "Elite Boot Series".  They explain that they design the boots specifically for a roomier toe while maintaining a snug heel fit.  The stock models are shaped on a split last with the heel one size narrower than the toe.  If you need more than one size differential between toe and heel, they are available on special order.  The toe is also boxy, rather than pointed [in fact, my skate tech tells me many young girls avoid them because they look too klunky].  I have a narrow heel relative to my toe width.  I used to skate on Riedell Royals and was fitted to a 9N to get a snug heel fit, but the toes were a bit cramped (even after adjustment).  My coach recommended I look at Jackson.  I got the Elite suede a yr+ ago and was fitted to an 8W.  No heel slippage and no toe cramping, out of the box ... didn't even need heat molding.  The heel is also contoured to provide a slight clamping action.  Of course, results will vary with individual feet. 

Offline Steffi

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 07:39:54 AM »
Thanks for the input

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »
I had Elite Suedes from about 3 years ago and Freestyles from about 5 years ago.  Both too wide in the heel for me.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:17:53 AM »
Edea boots are heat moldable with a hairdryer. You heat up the area you want to mold rather then stick the whole boot in the oven (that would wreck them - never put them in an oven). They are actually pretty easy to manipulate and one of the reasons I like Edea so much. I feel like when something isn't working well for my daughter, I can remedy it most times. I have squeezed the heels in, opened the toebox (I ordered a boot widener tool) and punched out small areas using the end of a screwdriver.

Edea uses a split width shoe last, so the heels are always one size smaller then the toebox. If you order a C then that means the heel is a B. My daughter previously wore customs with an AA heel and an EE toebox before and now she is very comfortable in an Edea D width boot with the heels squeezed and the toebox slightly widened.