You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Need Help with Sizing Skates  (Read 2213 times)

Offline skatersmom29

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
Need Help with Sizing Skates
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »
Hi everyone.

I need help sizing my daughter's skates and choosing which one to look at next.  The nearest pro shop is 3 hours away, so going just for a fitting check isn't possible.

She's currently in a 7.5C Jackson Competitor.  She's beginning single jumps, but I'm also looking at long term investment.

I recently took her to the podiatrist and, while I had her in a 7.5 Ladies Shoe, I was told to get her size 9 Ladies Shoe because so that her metatarsal bone is supported in the right place.  The shoes are a little long in the toe box, though.

I know walking shoes and skates are different, but I wanted to make sure she's supported properly.

I've measured her foot at the longest/widest points as 4" wide and 9.5" long from toe to heel.  From her bunion (yes she has bunions already at 12) to the heel is approx. 6.5"

She's getting new orthotics fitted and she does wear them in her boots.

I was curious about Edea Overtures vs. Jackson Competitor or Elite.  I look at the sizing charts and I'm a bit confused as each chart seems a bit different.  For some reason, I've always ended up getting larger boots than shoes so I don't trust my interpretations 100%.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Need Help with Sizing Skates
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 12:45:46 AM »
I know it's a long drive to get fitted properly but considering you've had your daughter to the podiatrist (probably for a reason) and were given some instructions for shoes, I'd make the drive.  They can put her in a few different brands and see which support her properly.

If you really can't make the drive, check out the sizing guide at kinzie's closet and measure her feet.  The chart has it by mm I believe.  They also have charts for several brands.  But I'd only do this if getting to a skate shop wasn't possible.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 02:21:09 AM »
I'm in the same situation as you regarding skate shops, my closest is 5 hours away, the better one is closer to 8; the tech I trust the most is out of the country.  It's a real conundrum and pain in the bum. We have young kids so choose to make a family trip out of it and play the tourist. I agree with what Amy above says- start with the Kinzies closet size charts and do all those measurements.  That's a great start.  However it's no replacement for advice from a seasoned expert.

Here's how I handle skate buying, take what you will from it.  First, I make sure I'm going to the most knowledgeable and trusted skate tech, even if it's further than the closest.  My logic is, if I have to make a weekend of it anyway, I want to have the best resources available. I did this by asking around the rink and on forums (I'm in France, so had the added joy of language issues).  Then, I called ahead and made an appointment and also explained my skating level, personal fitting issues (again, to the best of my ability), and particular boot models I was interested in.  They asked me my size, and when I did arrive had a nice pile of boots for me to try on.  I was able to hit the ground running once I got to the store.

If she's got "weird" feet, and many of us do, you may be in a situation that requires semi- or even full customs.  You definitely want a skate tech's help with that.  There is one woman on these forums who has skates that are not only split width, but also split length.  There are a lot of possibilities out there without needing to go the full custom route/pricetag.

Good luck with this.  Buying skates is hard enough without these extra challenges.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 04:21:44 AM »
At age 12, won't she grow out of things quickly?

Previous posters are correct about using a good fitter.  But if that is impossible you could look into sending plaster casts of her feet to the factory.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 12:04:49 PM »
Here's how I handle skate buying, take what you will from it.  First, I make sure I'm going to the most knowledgeable and trusted skate tech, even if it's further than the closest.

Us too, I drive 3-1/2 hours away because my daughter has difficult feet. I know lots of girls who can go into any pro shop, buy something off the shelf and have that meet their needs. My daughter doesn't have those kind of feet, so we go to the tech who can take good care of her. I figure those feet have to carry her through her entire life so I need to do whatever is in my power to keep them as healthy as possible. You may not always have to travel so far after working with him the first time. We were able to order her last boots via the phone and then just met up with him for the final fitting.