You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New skates - stay with new or can you switch?  (Read 2189 times)

Offline MinnesotaJenn

• Can't wait to learn more!
  • Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
  • Adult skating - loving it!!!
New skates - stay with new or can you switch?
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:01:16 AM »
Hi,
I'm close to breaking in my first new pair of "good skates".  I can tell they will be great and have a much stiffer boot which I need.  I am testing on Friday in my current skates but excited to start using my new ones!

Is it important that I stick with the proces and only use the new skates after Friday or can I switch between the new and old skates?

I am moving from Riedell Emerald to Riedell Motion (Astra blades).

Thank you!!! :WS:

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
Re: New skates - stay with new or can you switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:11:26 PM »
Whenever I buy new skates, I switch back and forth only while I'm breaking in the new skates.  Once the new skates are broken in, I stick with them exclusively, since each pair has subtle differences in skating feel, even if they are nominally the same brand and model for both boot and blade.  If the old pair still has life left, just keep them as a backup.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
Everyone is different in this category.  Some people switch until the new ones are broken in and others just go right into the new pair - never looking back!

My experience is that my old skates usually like feel I am skating in old paper towels (or bedroom slippers) - after I have skated in the new skates - even once.

Offline dkd

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 19
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »
I always just wear the new skates so I'll get used to them, although I do know a few skaters that they hurt so bad that they had to switch halfway through a session. I'd say wear them as long as you can and take short breaks in between so you get used to them. I agree with icedancer about skating in old skates. It's a weird feeling.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:47:03 AM »
Personally I switch boots while I'm breaking in the new ones but I also don't make the transition when I've got a test or competition coming up. Given that you've asked whether to start transitioning with a test in a week's time, I would say no. Don't jeopodise the test by wearing unfamiliar boots.

I'm currently trying to break in new boots, but as I've competitions got the next month the new boots will have to wait until after the last competition.

This has nothing to do with switching back and forth between boots as I do that anyway as I have one pair for dance and one for free, it's all to do with breaking elements by unfamiliar body movements to make the new boots work.

Offline amandascw

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
  • Freeskate 3
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 06:09:12 PM »
I would try the new skates for a session and see how they feel. If they feel really great right of the bat, than you could probably use them but if they feel like they need some break in time, I'd stick with the old ones. Im no expert, but this is how I prefer to do it. Good luck!
sk8 obsessed