You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Discussion: is two foot spin necessary  (Read 11258 times)

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: Discussion: is two foot spin necessary
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 03:39:22 AM »
Waltz jump and bunny hop are there to build skills for the axel.

http://xan-boni.blogspot.com/2010/04/jumps.html

Exactly.  And a two foot spin builds for things as well, such as all the other spins that follow it.  I wasn't implying that a waltz jump had anything to do with spinning.  Just that it was another beginner move that is used to build on for other things and of course it's important.

Offline Pippy514

• Coach and Former Professional Figure Skater with Disney On Ice
  • Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 10:01:13 AM »
In case this helps anyone out... 2 foot spins can be tricky because there is so much that needs to be learned and mastered from timing, arms, feet and keeping still in your upper body.  The best advice I can give as a coach, is to understand what your feet are doing in this spin first.  For counter clockwise spinners, this means your left foot is spinning on the "sweet spot" of the blade.  Your right foot is spinning towards mid-back of blade or towards your heel and is lightly grazing the ice without much pressure at all.  The right foot is only going along for the ride while your left foot bears most of the weight and is on sweet spot of blade.  Your weight should be over your left foot for the spin.  Many coaches teach you to stay centered between both feet and that is also correct, but if you put too much pressure on your right foot, you will feel like you aren't going very fast.  The left arm can also throw you off on this spin as well for counter clockwise spinners.  If your left shoulder goes to the left at the start of spin, it can throw you off slightly.  So I teach my skaters to keep it straight out in front at shoulder level for start of spin.  It stays in front until your right arm and foot come around and then in to meet left arm and foot.  Then we pull arms in while staying very very still in core and keep our head nice and still.  We also focus on feeling our ribcage lift up as we bring arms in while keeping shoulders pressed down to keep us really still.  Keep practicing.  Once you are ready to move up and work on 1 foot spins, you won't be doing 2 foot spins anymore and you can do a happy dance!   :D

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2016, 02:16:24 AM »
Pippy514, that's helpful advice! My coach also taught me to keep the arms in front, and it has helped, but I still have a problem with the rotations. The left foot always drags me down, and though I can raise it, I can't make the required 6 revs.

Offline Jf12

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2016, 05:23:34 PM »
Doing a two foot spin properly and well is a lot harder than a 1-foot spin.  Advanced skaters do cross foot spins, for example, with weight distributed equally between both feet.  Anyway, I wouldn't get frustrated if it doesn't look great right away - it doesn't mean it's not important.