You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Rink Management Tasks  (Read 2371 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Rink Management Tasks
« on: January 01, 2016, 01:14:52 PM »
We all have reminders that we set so that we get chores and tasks done on time.  Managing a facility like a rink is like wrestling an octopus: you never know what tentacle is going to get loose and smack you in the face.  For those who don't know, I travel and try to drop in on a new rink during each trip

The discussion about the timing of rink schedules being posted reminded me that there are always things I notice at a rink that the managers overlook.  Simple things, like cleaning the air vents in bathrooms, putting brooms and mops away out of the public's view, and taking down old flyers.  Oh, and of course, posting the next-month's schedule a week before it takes effect.

What other things could facility managers do on a regular basis?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Rink Management Tasks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:04:28 PM »
Fix the doors in the bathrooms. There's a door in my rink's ladies that has been broken since I started skating there in 2009.

Go through the boots and replace laces, remove boots that have missing hooks, eyelets, or have loose blades.

A well trained desk staff.

I don't know what it is about some rinks, but they don't have anything about any coaches on the website.

oh, and most important, all rinks should have a mobile website. ODG, not having one is stupid, stupid, stupid. People out shopping or something and decide to go skating and most rinks sites are totally unusable on mobile.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:46 PM »
The same kinds of basic that apply to any facility:

Keep bathrooms clean. You might be surprised how many customers are turned off by smelly or poorly working bathrooms.

Keep floors clean, so you can do exercises without bringing your own mat. (Personally, I don't worry that much. I've done a lot of camping, kayaking, etc., which involve playing in dirt and mud. But lots of people are picky.)

Maintain rental equipment in good condition. E.g., sharp blades, reasonable stiffness. Make them available at least 30 minutes prior to session.

Make sure someone checks that people go on the ice with properly tied skates. I believe that failure to do this is the most common cause of people doing poorly, and of a large fraction of injuries.

Have a phone number. Have someone answer it. :) Same with email.

I agree that web pages should be viewable on mobile devices. Keep the web page simple - just basic HTML. Remember that some screens are very, very small, so don't try to force a specific layout. Don't assume helper software, or specific platforms. Make sure everything is bookmarkable, including session schedules. You don't need a separate mobile site - this should all apply to your regular page. (And I agree that timely posting of schedule changes is crucial.)

Most of all, keep to published on-line and paper schedules. I hate going to a promised session, and discovering that someone rented the time spot. I hate discovering that the session ends earlier than promised. I hate telling a customer that these promises have been broken. A lot of other things can be forgiven, but there is almost nothing that annoys and angers customers more than breaking your promises to them.

These are all quite basic. Except for the rental equipment, and properly tied skates, everything I've mentioned should be expected of any good business or facility open to the public. Yet, I know of no rink that meets them all.

P.S. I know that not all these have to be done by the managers, so it goes a little outside the parameters the o.p. set. For example, someone else can check and clean the bathrooms. But good managers need to make sure they are all done, on a routine basis.

P.P.S. Have any of you ever wondered how facilities that costs millions of dollars to build, and have operating budgets of a million or more dollars/year, can make such basic errors? So have I.

Offline LunarSkater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 213
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »
Back to the bathrooms (I get the feeling it's a common issue). Make sure all the ladies' stalls have sanitary napkin disposal containers. Only two of them exist in the public bathroom at my rink and it's annoying. And make sure they're emptied regularly.

Have an organized pro shop.

Replace missing or broken signs (or print out new notices when the old ones get faded from being taped on the wall/hockey glass/front door/whatever for so long).

Concession stand: Start the coffee first thing if coffee is a thing at your rink. Make sure the napkin dispensers actually have napkins. Make sure the trash cans are visible to the patrons. (A sort-of pipe dream: try and stock at least a handful of healthier snack options in addition to the usual fare.)

Post the monthly schedules in a way that everyone can look at them and know what event is happening when and on what rink (if more than one in the facility). This means public sessions, figure skating, hockey, private rentals, etc. Because sport-specific ones are nice, but a general one is fantastic.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:52:22 AM »
Things rink guards should do:

Keep ice tourists out of the center.

Point out to people that their laces are dragging on the ice or tied wrong.

Keep people from carrying kids on the ice.

Help people up.

Keep hockey boys under control..... if possible.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 06:09:04 AM »
Things rink guards should do:

Keep ice tourists out of the center.

Point out to people that their laces are dragging on the ice or tied wrong.

Keep people from carrying kids on the ice.

Help people up.

Keep hockey boys under control..... if possible.

Agree.  But actually having rink guards would be a great first step!  :o