You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: More on padded shorts  (Read 13743 times)

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
Re: More on padded shorts
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 02:33:16 AM »
Ooh, thanks for sharing!  Looks good.  Why did you decide to grade it the way you did on the interior?  Is that for fit, or to spread the impact? How are you going to test it?!

The interior shaping is pretty much so it keys into my butt crack (can I say that here? LOL, guess I already did).   The previous model didn't have that and it tended to shift around a bit.  This one is significantly better.

I suppose I could put it on my helmet foam drop test rig, but I suspect it's too different of a impact load, that the numbers would be pretty much irrelevent.   So,  I intend to use empirical field testing  ;D   I am in no rush for this phase of development  ;)     Honestly I have no idea how well it'll work in practice.    But I can't imagine it would not help at least some.

BTW if anyone was wondering, the colours were random i.e. all the same hardness.

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
I've been telling myself that I need to get some padding for a while, and this thread (plus some old ones I dug up) have been very helpful. I'm just wondering, do the Skating Safe pads REALLY stick to bare skin? What about the Akton gel sheets? Basically, I need something for my butt, but I know from experience that I won't wear it if it's a big inconvenience or looks super bulky (I still have some old diaper-style Krash Pads from the 90s in my skate bag that I put on occasionally... they work, but I pretty much never want to wear them because they're bulky). So I've been thinking of getting a couple 5x7 Skating Safe gel pads, or a sheet of Akton padding and cutting my own, and sticking them down in my leggings. I don't wear tights, though, so do they really, truly stick to your skin? 95% of my falls are from my feet just going straight up, out from under me, and I go smack down on the bone/area that you sit on (never quite adjusted to the shorter blades I got a year ago, haha  >:( ). Those falls are HARD and HURT, I'm tired of it and am totally ready to order some gel pads. Just wondering if they'll stay put on my lower buttcheeks/upper legs, without sliding down the legs or shifting all around. My coach keeps saying that gel pads are heavy, but as long as they stay put and aren't pulling my pants down, I don't really care about that. I've also thought about ordering a pair of Skating Safe hip pads and using them on my butt, but then they'd be shaped correctly if I ever started working on anything where I wanted them on my hips.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
How I use skating safe pads.

1. I wear a close fitting pair of capri tights under my skating clothes
2. I stick the skating safe pads under the capris next to the skin
3, Friction, pressure and a semi-sticky surface keep the pads in place
4. if the capris are a little loose around the knee, I roll them under so the knee pad is in a little pocket.

Trust me, once those pads are in place, they do not move unless I want to move them for an adjustment.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 09:20:46 PM »
Thanks! I'm sold. Just ordered a sheet of 6.4mm Akton gel padding from Medco Sports Medicine Supply. With tax and shipping, a 10x13.5 pad came to $42--which is what ONE Skating Safe pad costs. At that price, it can't hurt to try! I figure I'll just cut the sheet in half, which will give me two nice 5x7ish pads to stick wherever I want.

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
How  are we all finding our DIY pad arrangements?  I've got a piece of akton in an old mesh bag safety pinned to my inner leggings to protect my sacrum/tailbone. I havent fallen on it, so cant comment on that. It's a bit big for the bag, so needs careful placing not to rumple up. It is heavy, so although not hugely obvious, my bottom is less pert with it. i havent got around to using the other pieces of akton for my hips, partly because the pads are so heavy from the point of view of dragging my leggings down. I dont notice the weight otherwise
I did buy a kindle case recently, which came with a white spun kind of foam as part of the packaging. It is the size& thickness of a kindle paperwhite, and very light. The table thump test is good. Am contemplating stuffing it down my leggings.
What has everyone else's experience been?

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
How  are we all finding our DIY pad arrangements?

Have sat down on it a couple of times whilst working on shoot-the-duck, and felt no pain whatsoever.   LOL, not that that's a anywhere near a full test.

I did buy a kindle case recently, which came with a white spun kind of foam as part of the packaging. It is the size& thickness of a kindle paperwhite, and very light. The table thump test is good.

I'm intrigued as to what sort of foam this is, any chance of a close up picture?

Offline beginner skater

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2015, 08:36:34 AM »
it's a slightly superior packing foam, but good at dissipating the impact of a table thump. I did take a piccie, but it's too large to attach, and my tech skills arent enough for me to know how to proceed

Offline Backtotheice

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 08:07:45 AM »
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for all the info! I just ordered the Vigilante Tech shorts and never would have found them without this thread. I will let you know how they work out!

Offline Ethereal Ice

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 13
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for all the info! I just ordered the Vigilante Tech shorts and never would have found them without this thread. I will let you know how they work out!

This thread has some interesting info for sure. I wear a Waxel pad over my tailbone and I wear control type panties (Yummy Tummy) that keep it snugly in place. The pads wear out over time but they are cheap ($10 for an inch thick one) and are the easiest to use, just slip them in and out, don't even need to go to the restroom to do it, really.