You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Mental Conditioning....  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Mental Conditioning....
« on: July 04, 2015, 02:01:31 AM »
So it's off-ice season, and I need to satiate my skating cravings.  I'm looking at these two books, and wondering if anyone out there has read either or both (or recommend any others!).  What are your thoughts?  Is either one worthwhile?  How much overlap is there between the two?

Thanks!

Mind-Body Conditioning for Competitive Figure skaters:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1606790110?colid=25KWN8RJ6X5YJ&coliid=I2ETY5SQ3K9A9T&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

The Inner Champion:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0966394968/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=25KWN8RJ6X5YJ&coliid=IXRBKZUQPCUMU

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Mental Conditioning....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »
I've read the inner champion and while some of it is written for a younger age group than me (ie not adult), it's well written and explains the concepts well. And I've actually found a few tit bits of advice which help.

The key one for me is that it explains that the adrenaline from being nervous is the same adrenaline from being excited, but your brain is just processing the chemical differently. If you can change your mindset to accept that the buzz is excitement and not fear then you can control yourself while performing. I can now be heard at competition saying I'm not nervous, I'm excited or reminding myself that I don't get nervous for the Christmas show so why is competing any different. It's all a show after all. This has really helped me get my nerves in check, so I'm really glad I read the book.
I figure if you can take one piece of information away from it, then it's worthwhile.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:11:51 PM »
I know I have the second book and I'm pretty sure I have the first one, too.  Compared to how much money you're going to spend on lessons, ice time, costume and skates, the cost of the books is a drop in the bucket.  I agree that if you get even one take away from each one of them, it will be worth it.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »
I have the first one and I've been thinking about getting the second.  The first has a lot of practical exercises that I haven't really tried yet (nor have I looked at the DVD that came with it), but I've read it and I thought it was pretty good.