You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Learning To Learn (Efficiently)  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Learning To Learn (Efficiently)
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 01:21:28 AM »
"Practice makes perfect, and 'overlearning' locks it in"

I am definitely capable of practicing the wrong thing repetitively and learning to do that wrong thing again and again.

I.E., sometimes practice makes imperfect forever.  :)

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »
"Practice makes perfect, and 'overlearning' locks it in"

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170130111017.htm

The section about "going through the motions" (the equivalent of "program walk-throughs" on the floor, which many of us do before competition) is worth reading, too.  I think we overestimate the amount of practice that needs to involve the actual physical moves and underestimate the value of the mental practice.  By doing a walk-through of my program either on the floor or on the ice (on the ice at a new rink so I can take in the visual cues), I get a chance to practice the *thought* process during my program, i.e., what I'm supposed to be focusing on as I perform each element and connecting move in my program.  For me, this has often yielded even better program run-throughs than the ones that follow actual practice of the elements themselves.  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130723081352.htm

Offline riley876

• BladeLock
  • AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 26
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:19 AM »
Brain study: Motor cortex contributes to word comprehension

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170215101444.htm

Occurs to me if word comprehension is handled partly by the motor cortex, then actually using (or hearing) certain words might affect motor actions.   i.e. if you SAY it, it might make it easier to DO it.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 02:01:49 AM »
I had an interesting experience this week. Coach was trying to teach me some new choreography. I wasn't able to get it. He kept saying do it again, it didn't improve. I come up after a night's sleep, it works fine.
I've always known I need to sleep on it to get a motor skill. But I find that it's not always as well known as it should be.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
I've found that writing things down on paper helps with learning.  I don't memorize well as a result of a childhood car accident, so when I need to force facts/figures/formulas into my head, I write them down 10x.  I do the same with skating students - have them draw the Waltz 8 and their back outside edge continues past the midline axis of the figure.  Ditto for dance/footwork patterns.  Somehow, typing it on my ipad doesn't work as well, for me.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com