You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Good Skating Sports  (Read 1430 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Good Skating Sports
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »
Sportsmanship is a subject that's near and dear to my heart.  I was lucky enough to compete with a lot of good skaters who were also good sports in defeat as well as success.  My major local competitor died quite young and I still miss her very much, often remembering the good times we had, regardless of whose name was on the top of the list or what a crummy practice one of us had on any given day.

Without giving out identifying information, share stories of sportsmanship, both small and large.
It's important to recognize the good over the bad - so no rink rants, please.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Good Skating Sports
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »
I was at a competition recently where one Basic Skills skater received a pretty bouquet of flowers from her parents.  Her friend's mother saw the bouquet and said "Oh, I didn't think about that."  The skater plucked three stems from her bouquet and handed it to the other skater saying, "Now we match!"

Very sweet and generous.  I hope that they both realize what a nice gesture that was for them and for those watching. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »
Public sessions: I always feel simple words of encouragement to new skaters are great sportsmanship. Or if you see a first-timer obviously struggling & might need help, go show him or her some basics really quick with lots of smile. JMHO :P

In general: reminding people NOT to use hard guards for storage or other imoprtant basics if you see something wrong. It's so much better to hear it before learning it the hard way. Again some may not appreciate it, but it's still a noble thing to do.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:44:37 PM »
My mum's coach

After Adult LTS is public session time, she's off the clock & her turn to skate for herself, but offers to be available for anyone who needs help for another 30mins. You show up to skate school practice all coaches are off duty (except those teaching private lessons), and she skates over to talk & give pointers - again it's off the clock and her time to skate for herself but she still takes the time to help out!