You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: compression socks?  (Read 6888 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
compression socks?
« on: November 02, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
I looked in vain to see if this subject has been discussed previously.  If so, I couldn't find it.  An earlier thread here mentioned all sorts socks as well as going sockless but I don't recall mention of the compression socks used by runners and also individuals with medical conditions such as poor circulation, blood clots, varicose veins, etc.  I looked at some this afternoon in my local sporting goods store and discovered several things:  1. these socks are expen$$ive!  ~$40.00/pair; 2. one needs to measure the diameter of one's calf before letting go of those aforementioned hard earned dollars; 3. while not thick, these socks are a bit thicker than the synthetic trouser socks I've been using to date which makes me wonder if, like thick socks, these will prove to be a disadvantage in skate boots.  4. they appear to come in different amounts of compression expressed in milligrams of mercury--kinda like a weather report(!)

However, several questions remain unanswered.  Can anyone report whether compression socks are a good idea for figure skaters?  Do these socks improve leg performance by improving blood flow and/or warmth?  Do they wick away sweat or retain it?  How bulky are they in reality?  Are there any down sides (besides the cost)?  I noticed that the packaging on one brand which I looked at indicated that if one experienced tingling of the foot to remove the socks immediately but didn't explain the reasoning for that statement.  This leads me to wonder how much compression is too much? I'm talking about compression socks which one can purchase "over the counter" without a Doctor's prescription.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: compression socks?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 04:50:17 PM »
The purpose of these types of socks are to improve circulation in order to prevent clots or stroke.  I cannot see how that would translate into improved performance for an ice skater unless it was a placebo effect.  To me that would be akin to saying aspirin would improve performance. They do need to be measured and put on correctly.  Personally I would not spend my money on these.  If you really need them your healthcare provider (not just physicians btw) can prescribe them for you and insurance would likely cover at least part of the cost. This is just my medical opinion so if there is reputable literature supporting the use for performance improvement I would love to see it.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:22:58 PM »
It sounds like many runners use them not necessarily during, but *after* running, to stimulate circulation and reduce lactic acid build-up resulting in less soreness.  I don't know anything about them, but if you typically get sore after skating, maybe they are worth a shot at changing into after taking off your skates rather than wearing during your skating?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 06:53:28 PM »
I would imagine that the tingling of the foot statement means that if your foot is tingling the socks are too tight and you are cutting off circulation or maybe cutting off a nerve impulse (like when your leg "falls alseep" when you have been sitting too long or in the wrong position.

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 07:27:01 PM »
It sounds like many runners use them not necessarily during, but *after* running, to stimulate circulation and reduce lactic acid build-up resulting in less soreness.  I don't know anything about them, but if you typically get sore after skating, maybe they are worth a shot at changing into after taking off your skates rather than wearing during your skating?

My legs are seldom sore from skating, but if I skate more than 4 or 5 days in a row my legs tend to feel "stale".  I'm tempted to think that your comment about increased blood flow during the recovery period, apres-skate, might be the benefit that runners seem to get from such socks as well as other compression garments.  Having said that, I see runners wearing these funny looking socks during their runs.  Perhaps the idea there is to keep bare legs reasonably warm and mud-free in cooler months.  Foot warmth during skating is rarely a problem for me.  My feet get sweaty during the course of a typical freestyle or public session.  A related observation is that some members of the pro-cycling peleton don compression suits after a hard stage with the notion that they will recover in time for the next day's stage.  After posting my initial questions I found several articles about the pros and cons of compression garments.  This one is representative:  http://www.runnersworld.com/running-apparel/compression-gear-hype-helpful 

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 115
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »
Lots of elderly people with poor circulation are advised by their doctors to use compression socks and/or pants, so they are available cheap in ordinary drugstores and medical supply stores. E.g., search at target.com:

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=compression+socks&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_compression+socks

http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=compression&category=0%7CAll%7Cmatchallpartial%7Call+categories&lnk=snav_sbox_compression

$8 for compression socks, and still cheaper on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=%2B%22compression+socks%22&_sop=15

where they start at $1.59 (in the U.S.), including shipping.

Perhaps that is cheap enough for you to try, even if the medical study results aren't particularly encouraging.

What I don't get, for the standard usage in treating poor circulation, is how surrounding a leg with pressure can increase blood flow. Why don't they act a little like tourniquets, and have the opposite effect?

Do they actually increase blood flow, or do they merely massage the muscles so as to help extract the metabolic waste products? If the latter is true, do they need leg motion to work?

In the case of ice skating, I would worry that the pressure would actually cut circulation and make your feet colder, but until you try it, you can't really know.

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »
I think compression socks are used more for edema/swelling of the legs and ankles.  The compression is graduated, so I imagine, as far as circulation goes, it help the blood go back up.

I stand all day at work and a lot of us wear them to prevent varicose veins and other things.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »
I bought a pair of trouser socks at Catherine's (women's clothing store) a few months ago. They were dark brown, which I didn't like, but I needed them for skating so I figured, "whatever."  They were plus-sized and didn't bind my calf at the top, so I liked the fit and feel.  They just looked weird against my white skates, but they were covered by my pants leg so it wasn't a big deal.

I went back to the store last month and bought a half-dozen pair of (light colored) trouser socks that have turned out to be compression socks.  They fit tightly but I've noticed that my calves aren't as tired after coaching several hours.  I'm not crazy about them - they're a little too long, so they bunch up at the top.  However, I like the compression benefits.  They fit snugly all along the foot/calf and it's a very even pressure.  Be careful pulling them on - they'll tear easily.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
I bought a pair of trouser socks at Catherine's (women's clothing store) a few months ago. They were dark brown, which I didn't like, but I needed them for skating so I figured, "whatever."  They were plus-sized and didn't bind my calf at the top, so I liked the fit and feel.  They just looked weird against my white skates, but they were covered by my pants leg so it wasn't a big deal.

I went back to the store last month and bought a half-dozen pair of (light colored) trouser socks that have turned out to be compression socks.  They fit tightly but I've noticed that my calves aren't as tired after coaching several hours.  I'm not crazy about them - they're a little too long, so they bunch up at the top.  However, I like the compression benefits.  They fit snugly all along the foot/calf and it's a very even pressure.  Be careful pulling them on - they'll tear easily.

My sister (who's a Physicians Assistant at a hospital and on her feet all day) got me turned onto compression socks, and then I had my first varicose vein so my Dr strongly encouraged them.  I don't wear them exclusively, but am working up to it.  I do like them when I skate and travel (airplane!).  You can even find relatively cute ones at Brightlife Direct! I wear the 20-30 (as suggested by sister and Dr) and they're sturdy NoFear!  They have many that don't even look like compression socks  8).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
I didn't think about them for travel.  I'll try that on my next airline trip.  Thanks!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 02:32:26 PM »
I didn't think about them for travel.  I'll try that on my next airline trip.  Thanks!

It'll change your life!  Ok, no, not really, but it will improve it.  They're awesome on long car rides as well.....

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
I'm an OR nurse--I wear compression socks every day at work, but have never heard of wearing them while skating. I don't think they would make that much of a difference since I only skate for an hour at a time (thanks, lungs), but I can definately tell a difference after a 10-hour shift.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)