You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade suggestions please  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
Blade suggestions please
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »
I currently have Ultima Matrix Legacy blades but the local sharpener doesn't have the equipment to sharpen them so I'm thinking about replacing them and I'm looking for recommendations.
Previously I had MK Pros which were fine however I prefer the 8" rocker, and also the extra height of the matrix blades. I also like the lighter blade, so don't want Coronation Aces.
Any thoughts please?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: Blade suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »
Ultima makes standard model blades too, so you could stick with the legacy if you like it.  My guess is the rig your sharpener has can't fit the matrix chassis.  But it can probably handle any non-matrix ultima blade.

But if you don't want to go with Ultima, check out the Eclipse line (Mist or Infinity have 8' rockers), or Wilson Pattern 99 or Gold seal.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
Ultima makes standard model blades too, so you could stick with the legacy if you like it.  My guess is the rig your sharpener has can't fit the matrix chassis.  But it can probably handle any non-matrix ultima blade.

But if you don't want to go with Ultima, check out the Eclipse line (Mist or Infinity have 8' rockers), or Wilson Pattern 99 or Gold seal.

Yes - it's because of the matrix chassis.

I really like the stainless steel blades and see the Ultima Elite blade has E-X-T / extra hard edges - sorry for the ignorance but does this mean stainless steel?

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:10 PM »

I really like the stainless steel blades and see the Ultima Elite blade has E-X-T / extra hard edges - sorry for the ignorance but does this mean stainless steel?

Not necessarily. Heat-treated high carbon steels, and specialty tool steels are very hard and durable, but will rust easily if not cared for.

I wish the manufacturers would be more specific about the materials used, but then again, I can understand why they don't.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »

I'm with Bill_S on this one.  You're not ignorant.  We're kept in the dark by the blade manufacturers...proprietary information and all that I guess.....

Ultima has a blurb on their website about it:  http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/ContentPage.aspx?SitePageId=w8omNN1tpKI9ZU7rBF5bmg1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

I don't think they're going to be made of stainless steel though; all the stainless blades available are housed in a chassis like the matrix (paramount and revolution).  Your skate tech might have pretty good knowledge on this, and since s/he's going to be doing the sharpening anyway, I presume, I would check with them. 

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
all the stainless blades available are housed in a chassis like the matrix (paramount and revolution).

This is not true.  Skate Science blades are all stainless steel, no chassis.  I don't think there are currently any others on the market though.

Offline Loops

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
This is not true.  Skate Science blades are all stainless steel, no chassis.  I don't think there are currently any others on the market though.

Really?!  I've been on their website recently and totally missed that.  For some reason I thought that stainless runners had to be housed in the chassis....but I couldn't figure out why. 

Skate Science could be another blade to look at.  They don't specify their rocker length...only say that it's "elongated".  One of the young men in my club skates in their dance model and is very happy with them.  I always thought the stainless were loud, like hockey skates, but his aren't and he hits some impressive edges.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
I have emailed Skate Science to ask about the materials and rocker of their Axel Express blade.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »
Just FYI, there are many variations of stainless steel. I've been told it's in the thousands.

The steel used in skates may be A2 stainless steel, which can be easily molded. It's the commonest, and probably the cheapest. I think it's also called 18/8 steel.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:06 PM »
A2 stainless, better known as 18/8, is really common in fasteners (nuts, bolts. There's an easy test for someone who is curious about its use in their skate blades. It's non-magnetic. Try sticking a magnet to it.

If the magnet sticks, it isn't 18/8.

As Agnes states, there are a host of stainless steels, each with its own mix of properties.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 02:29:48 AM »
I have emailed Skate Science to ask about the materials and rocker of their Axel Express blade.

Please do share whatever you learn!!!

I did note on their page last night, when I went back for a re-read, that they use a special blend of stainless that is blended and manufactured expressly for them in Sweden.  Overall, they make an interesting case on their site, but I just don't know that many who have them.  Would love to hear more "from the trenches"......

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 08:32:54 AM »

Let us know if he answered back because I asked him the same question thru email and he never wrote back. After I wrote to him twice and no response I just gave up.

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »
Well, so far no response to my questions either, but I'll provide an update if I do hear anything.