You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: I need new skates. Help?!  (Read 5343 times)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
I need new skates. Help?!
« on: August 12, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »
Back in January, in the middle of a public session in painful ill-fitting rentals, one of my sweet girls looked up at me and said "Oh mama, thank you for skating with me! I love skating with you!" And that was all I needed to push me down the hall to the pro shop, where I bought a pair of Jackson soft skates (the kind that look like skates, not ski boots). They felt so much better than the rentals! Yay!

Then in April I decided to start taking lessons, and quickly realized I love to skate and really want to improve. The more I skated (and read about skating), the more I realized my impulse purchase was not all that great. I could live with the soft skates themselves for a while longer if it weren't for the fact that they  do not fit. The kid in the pro shop clearly knew nothing and sold me a pair of skates the same size as my street shoes, and since they felt better than the torture rentals, I thought they were fine. After a few months of not-too-heavy (1-2x a week) skating, they're clearly too big. My heel is slipping. I tried Agnes Nitt's insole trick and it helps some but I'm still slipping and it definitely is not a permanent fix. The skates are holding me back at this point because I just don't feel secure on the ice because of the slipping. Edges seem impossible.

I need and want new skates and just don't know how to approach it. I would prefer not to spend a ton of money, because I know I'm also going to have to but my girls new skates soon, too. But I have pretty major bunions on both feet (44-year-old me would like to go back and tell 14-year-old me she's never going to be a ballerina and pointe shoes are not worth the pain!) and I imagine those will affect the fit. I'm not taking lessons right now over the summer but plan to start back in September. My skating goals are pretty modest. I like the idea of learning to do at least a waltz jump, but right now crossovers are scary to me and probably the most advanced thing I can do is a two-foot turn if I'm moving verrrrrrry sloooooowly, so I don't even know if that's ever going to happen.

So basically, I feel totally clueless about how to get fitted and how much boot I really need, and how much I should expect to spend. Where do I begin?!

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: I need new skates. Help?!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
There's a pretty good summary of what boots are good for what level here:  https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skates.html

That can give you an idea of which skates you might want to look at.  Then I guess it's a matter of figuring out which brand fits your foot best.  (Or take the opposite approach… figure out which brand works for you, then get the right level skate within that brand.)  Is there a pro shop near you where you could try things on?

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
I'm no expert but my suggestion would be to ask the coaches at your rink for the names of decent local boot fitters/pro shops and then go try on different boots.  You already know from your current experience that heel slippage is to be avoided and you know that you want a wide enough toe box to limit pain from your preexisting bunions.  Boots tend to be a love/hate kinda relationship.  They need to be tight enough to prevent foot movement but not so tight as to be painful--a difficult end to achieve.   Additionally, while you want good support you probably don't want a boot which is too stiff for you skill level.  A good fitter can advise you on that aspect.

I've been in Jackson freestyles (I'm a low skill level skater; ISI FS-1) for about two and half years and my boots are just now showing the signs of break down (creases in the leather around the ankles).  My boots are fine for my skating level and if I had been a little more attentive during fitting I would have made sure that I was fitted to suit my left foot (which apparently is slightly smaller than my right).  The moral to my story is that it's easier to have the boot which is slightly too snug bumped out than it is to get rid of the slop in the boot that's slightly too loose, so if you have a slight size difference get boots which suit the smaller foot.  That's about all I can say about this subject.  No doubt others with more experience will offer you more insight.  Good Luck!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Usual caveat for the Kinzie's Closet list: our Canadian members report that the recommendations for SkateCanada levels are off the mark, so use the US skating levels to assess the boot strength.

If you are tall or overweight, a more-stiff boot is okay.  For a low-level adult, the Jackson Marquis/Classique or Riedell 121 models are good, the Jackson Freestyle or Riedell 133's are stiffer.  All can be ordered as a set with stock blades. 

Lately, I lean towards an upgraded blade for committed low-level adults like the John Wilson Coronation Ace, MK Professional or Eclipse Myst if it's an option.  It costs extra, but the shorter rocker radius seems to help with spins.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »
I don't take lessons, I watch and learn from my daughter because I'm not planning on being serious. I got Artiste's (stiffness is 25, a little better than Softskates) and they are not supportive enough since I have taught myself forward crossovers (I weight about 145-150).

The Classique has a 45 rating I believe, and the plastic sole for ease of care. The Freestyle (40) is what my daughter has and we waterproofed the soles with sno-seal (easy to do). If you get a heat mold-able boot I suggest doing the heat molding sooner rather than later. You will notice there is a break in time for stiffer skates. Their is $100 price difference between Classique and freestyle - something to consider if your budget is tight.

If your foot is narrow, maybe check out the Reidell's (their online catalog has recommendations for skates/levels). http://ice.riedellskates.com/products/boots/

I wouldn't go crazy high in stiffness if you do not plan on jumping just yet. Otherwise I can see the skates being more painful than supportive if they don't start to break in.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:47:59 PM »
Thanks for the mention Twinskaters. I know you'll enjoy skating.  I did a post on 'selecting your first boots'.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2013/10/buying-your-first-figure-skating-boots.html
It duplicates some of what others have mentioned above, the only new thing I have to say is the following

Here's the thing about your first pair of boots, it helps to think of them as 'throwaways'. There doesn't seem to be an aftermarket for used adult beginner skates, so you probably can't sell them. Enjoy them, and when you feel you want to move on to new boots, move on.  Don't let badly fitting boots destroy your feet because 'the boots still have wear in them'. If you're skating at a higher level than your boots can support, time for new ones. Don't end up with an injury because the boot can't support your ankle on a landing or the blade breaks. Boots are your most important tool from both a safety and health perspective.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the mention Twinskaters. I know you'll enjoy skating.  I did a post on 'selecting your first boots'.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2013/10/buying-your-first-figure-skating-boots.html
It duplicates some of what others have mentioned above, the only new thing I have to say is the following

Thanks! Of course the new bit you added didn't show up in the quote, but that actually sums up my current thinking: yes, someone whose feet fit in these could wear them for a good long while now, but they sure aren't working for me so I am fine with having tossed out the 70 or 80 bucks. It got me skating and is less than I'd have spent on rentals. Well, actually, I never would've taken lessons in rentals, so there's that. :) Maybe I can get 15-20 bucks for them on my local Facebook selling group, and I have some of the girls' old skates to sell, too. And if not, c'est la vie.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I looked at Kinzie's chart and probably will end up with one of their choices. I'm not particularly tall or heavy, so I guess I can go by their recommendations and it's more the fitting that I'm concerned about, because of the bunions and the obviously wrong size I'm wearing now. I'll be up at the rink Friday with my girls so I will ask their coach where he would suggest I go for that, and take it from there.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
Forgot to update this. The girls' coach recommended a fitter, who is also the sharpener he and everyone else recommends, so I will head over there. I was slightly disappointed to find he's only in the shop after 4pm during the week, so I guess I will have to bring the kids with me. They will need new skates soon enough, but haven't outgrown their current skates, so for them it'll be a boring trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »
Finding a good skater is worth his weight in gold.  Skates have a way of feeling bigger once they start to break in.  Use him for your and your daughter's skates.  Because her body is growing, she also needs a really good fit.   As for your skates, one day you are probably going to go with custom skates.  You are not going to outgrow your skates.  I weigh about what you do and jump & spin like a mad woman.  My custom Harlicks are used for 2 years, skating about 7 hours a week, and are just now getting super comfy (not broken down).   The Edea skates may also be for your foot, I'm not sure.  They mold to your foot, is what I hear.   As far as making a deal with the devil for ballet, we skaters do the same thing.  The landing leg often gets worn out.  For me, I have foot tendon issues (cysts on tendons, plantar issues).   My friend is a swimmer, and she broke her fingers alot . . . swimming!  Be thankful, ballet dancers can do anything.  Probably why you find skating fun & easy.   Ballet dancers take to skating like a bulldog to a pork chop.   Youtube "Bellita."

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »
Go "interview" this fitter! S/he might change your and your kids lives!  I have a bunion on my right foot.  Probably nothing like your ballet bunions though.  Remember, that even in stock boots, you can get the front stretched/punched out.  This is something I routinely have to do, since split widths weren't an option when I was young, and in Europe don't seem to be an option now (but I'm researching so I'm prepared for the next pair of skates.....). 

A good fitter will also be able to make recommendations for stiffness.  Even after all these years the ballet is going to help tremendously with your skating (the best skaters in my club were also those who spent their off-ice days at the barre....I second the "Bellita" comment- her axels are GORGEOUS).  If you're getting good knee bend, don't be afraid to go with something a little stiffer than Kinzies recommends.  If your fitter doesn't ask you do do this- then when you have a pair of boots on, keeping your heels on the ground, see how far forward you can bend your knees.  If you get them over your toes, you're good.  If you can't they're probably too stiff, and well, if you're worried about creasing the boots in the shop, then they're not stiff enough.

As for the Edeas, if they fit, then that's fantastic!  But my US fitter (who is very good), told me that he won't sell them (or Risports) because they only come in one width.  He continued on saying that their claim to fit any foot translates in to them putting some skaters into boots that are too long, so they can get extra width.  I'm not saying "don't go there", more like "proceed with awareness."  I tried Edea's on, and they were good in the front, but too wide on my narrow heels.  Fronts can be punched, but heels can't be narrowed.....

Have fun getting your skates!!!  Neverdull's right that someday you may land in customs, but probably at this stage the closest you'd come is a split width.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:33:16 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I am laughing at the thought of finding skating easy, though. Fun, yes! Easy? Not by a longshot! But I do think the ballet background helps in some small way.

I thought I would make it to the fitter early this week but afternoons have been kind of crazy since school started. Hoping to make it tomorrow or Friday, and if not maybe I will just try and go over the weekend. My group lessons start back up next Wednesday and I would love to have this sorted (even if I don't have the skates) by then.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
@twinskaters are you going to Dante?
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 05:45:35 PM »
@twinskaters are you going to Dante?

Yes, that's my plan. Thought I was going to make it today but kiddie homework took forever and I lost motivation to drag them back out. And tomorrow we are probably going to the beach after school. It's really annoying that he's only there after 4pm!

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 06:32:59 PM »
Oh wow!  That is difficult.  How late does he stay?  Although I'm not sure end of day is the best time to have a fitting because feet swell.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
Oh wow!  That is difficult.  How late does he stay?  Although I'm not sure end of day is the best time to have a fitting because feet swell.

The store closes at 7 during the week, so I assume he's there to close. I don't think I can really get around the feet swelling issue, or at least I doubt it'll be much different at 4 and at 7. On the weekends I think they said he gets there at 1. Totally inconvenient! I could see when the infamous (at least to you and I after your earlier thread) Tim is in Syosset, but coach preferred Dante.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »
I guess you can try a bit longer.  Hopefully you can make it in.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
We made it over there today. OMG Dante is great. I feel seriously lucky to live 15 minutes away. As it turns out, my skates are definitely a bit too big, and if I wasn't planning on advancing beyond where I am I probably would have gotten the same skates in a smaller size. But since I am hoping to become more of a skater, he said go ahead and keep these, and come back to him when I'm more advanced and need more skate. I can live with that advice, especially because he could easily have sold me some damn expensive boots and I wouldn't have argued. So I'm going to work on the basics and when I am ready, as he said, the games will begin. :)

For my girls, one of them is fine and still has room in her boots, so we aren't changing those. One of them just started complaining yesterday and she has outgrown them. She left with a pair of Jackson Mystiques, which he said she will have a hard time breaking down at her weight and level/frequency of skating.

As a bonus, daddy left there with a pair of hockey skates. Going to start breaking them in tonight and all go skate tomorrow.

I will be honest, I was a little bummed not to get new skates, but it's actually pretty motivating! :)

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »
Oh wow, well good for all of you!  Why don't you wear thicker socks with your too big skates?  I think control is really difficult if you feet are moving in your boots.  Might help?

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 01:14:45 AM »
I stuffed some extra insoles in there already. Might as well try some thicker socks. Maybe I will do that tomorrow when we skate to break in the kid's and Dad's new skates.