You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: isi test registration  (Read 3260 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
isi test registration
« on: October 22, 2010, 07:46:52 AM »
Yikes,
Coach forgot to register dd's tests.  So now she has to compete at a lower level since deadline is passed.  Won't people say we sandbagged?  She could really cream the others.  I really don't need that reputation.  What do you think?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: isi test registration
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 08:18:19 AM »
We can skate up at most comps; can you do that there?

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 08:39:14 AM »
It says highest level passed.  I would have to find out later in the day when it opens.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Yikes,
Coach forgot to register dd's tests.  So now she has to compete at a lower level since deadline is passed.  Won't people say we sandbagged?  She could really cream the others.  I really don't need that reputation.  What do you think?
If it's an in-house competition, the office should have the test on file, even if it wasn't registered with the ISI.
Your coach can contact the ISI to register the tests, explaining that it was an error.

You have to read the competition announcement to see if they allow skaters to skate a level higher than their highest registered test.  Or ask the competition chairperson.

Honestly - your coach should be doing this legwork, not you.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
If it's an in-house competition, the office should have the test on file, even if it wasn't registered with the ISI.
Your coach can contact the ISI to register the tests, explaining that it was an error.

You have to read the competition announcement to see if they allow skaters to skate a level higher than their highest registered test.  Or ask the competition chairperson.

Honestly - your coach should be doing this legwork, not you.

thanks, I feel a little better knowing that I did not drop the ball, but I still think I should have followed up.  It is not in house and she is usfs, so everyone kind of forgets isi rules.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
Rink was fine with it.  Apparently it happens a lot.  She will be registered and then entered in the event!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:42:31 AM »
The last ISI competition I did the registration form came with the "register your test" forms.  You could send it in yourself, or the competition chair would do it.

Apparently no one ever remembers to register the test.  It's a USFS rink, so the comp chair also would test you through all the ISI levels to get you to the right Freestyle level to compete in.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
The rinks don't register the lower-level tests with the ISI unless it's needed for a out-of-rink competition.  There used to be a small fee of $5/test - a bargain compared to USFSA tests - so the rinks would give the skater the option of not registering the test with the ISI or paying the fee.  The skater also had to become an ISI member to have the tests registered with the ISI, so that was an additional expense.

Once a skater started testing at the higher USFSA levels (above level 7), where outside examiners or video reviews are needed, then the tests were always formally registered. 

Looks like the per-test fee was eliminated, but skaters obviously still have to be members:
http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=programs_test_registration_and_rule_revision

In this case, it seems like the OP's rink doesn't handle a lot of ISI tests, so it was just overlooked.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com