You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What's up with the scrunchies?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
What's up with the scrunchies?
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »
We've been shopping for competition dresses for the girls. Nothing super-fancy, since they're just doing basic skills. All the Mondor dresses seem to come with a matching scrunchie. Did this start in the 80s and just never die? Do people actually wear them?! Is this why figure skating has limited acceptance in the mainstream universe?!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What's up with the scrunchies?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
I always thought it was for teenagers whose mom's didn't have time to do up their hair, or were just low level tests  that it was 'who cares'.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
Most people I know use them as bun wraps.
You don't have to use them, but it's a lot easier than having to search for something else to jazz up the hair.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:58:05 PM »
Scrunchies will never go completely out of style in figure skating and gymnastics. Yes, skaters of all ages wear them for tests/competitions. I also see a lot of the mesh hair ties - I make and sell figure skating dresses and all my dresses come with a scrunchie or hair tie. I also sell scrunchies and hair ties at competitions and you would not believe how many I sell because someone forgot their scrunchie or lost the hair tie or they never had one and "coach says we need a hair accessory!".

I think it's one of those "acceptable within the sport" things.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
When I was testing ice dance, I had some silk flowers on a band for pony tail holders. They looked nice. And I picked up some silk flowers on a barrette too. I'm it's just for testing, but it keeps the hair back and looks a little different than a scrunchy.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
OK, I can get down with using them as a bun wrap. My kids think it's awesome, so I'm clearly going to have to use them one way or another. I just had some major flashbacks, having lived through the scrunchie mania in its heydey.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
For DD, I sew the scrunchie on the narrow side and then add something to the top of it that coordinates with her dress - like an applique or layered fabric flower, and then I gem it. Works well to keep her bun in place, doesn't have the typical gathered fabric 80's look, and adds something extra to her hair. She loves when we use the gemstone hair twists for extra sparkle. It's funny, because she is a true tomboy in all other senses except when it comes to skating - then she's as girly as it gets (except no pink - EVER).

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 01:17:57 AM »
There's a handful of girls at my rink who wear very fancy (sparkly) scrunchies to practice. With their Chloe noel outfits. Lol

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
My dd may be one of those girls, littlerain, because I think she skates at the same rink as you (I noticed from a video you posted) - LOL! She likes everything with gems.

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
My kids are probably going to have bejeweled scrunchies, because I want to practice with the hotfix before I stone one daughter's dress, and since the scrunchie is the same fabric.... (I will practice on random fabric first!)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
This is neither here nor there (in other words, OFF TOPIC) but when my oldest DD skated, I saw a young girl with stones all over her hair.  I thought they were those screw-type hairpins, but I couldn't see any hardware, just stones.  I finally had to give in to my curiosity and ask the girl's mother how the stones stayed in place.  She used false eyelash glue to attach the stones to the girl's hair directly!  I tried it (on my poor DD, lol) and it wasn't as cool after skating because it was a pain to get the glue out and we lost a few stones down the bathtub drain.  Still, I really liked the look!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »

My dd may be one of those girls, littlerain, because I think she skates at the same rink as you (I noticed from a video you posted) - LOL! She likes everything with gems.

Oh! Are you in the northwest suburbs of Chicago? I go to a few rinks but you must be right! I wish I had some sparkly skating gear as a kid! Haha

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »
This is neither here nor there (in other words, OFF TOPIC) but when my oldest DD skated, I saw a young girl with stones all over her hair.  I thought they were those screw-type hairpins, but I couldn't see any hardware, just stones.  I finally had to give in to my curiosity and ask the girl's mother how the stones stayed in place.  She used false eyelash glue to attach the stones to the girl's hair directly!  I tried it (on my poor DD, lol) and it wasn't as cool after skating because it was a pain to get the glue out and we lost a few stones down the bathtub drain.  Still, I really liked the look!

I've done a couple Bollywood style dresses for clients and each time included matching stones to be glued to the forehead with eyelash glue. Really completed the look! I suppose eyelash glue is less of a pain to get off skin then hair though....

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 11:58:29 PM »
I only recently met a hairtie that actually tied my hair up for more than 30 minutes. Or break as I wrap it around. I have really thick and long hair. Consequently our the years I have made dozens scrunchies from remnant fabrics. They match some of the clothing I've made.

Now that I think of it, I haven't worn them outside the house for some years.... I tend to pull my hair off my face with a slide (barette). Even then I find there are only a few hairslides that will actually hold my hair.
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
What's up with the scrunchies?
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 10:14:35 AM »
Scrunchies *are* really great for holding hair. And I always liked that they didn't "dent" my curls. It was a bummer that they and the banana clip went out of style! :-)

And since you're dying to know, my kids love the scrunchies that came with their dresses. They'll definitely be used. And bejeweled!

Offline CaraSkates

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 10:29:56 AM »
Scrunchies *are* really great for holding hair. And I always liked that they didn't "dent" my curls. It was a bummer that they and the banana clip went out of style! :-)

And since you're dying to know, my kids love the scrunchies that came with their dresses. They'll definitely be used. And bejeweled!

While scrunchies don't currently go with my competition dress (I took an already sparkly crystal hair barrette and sparkled it even more), I love them for holding my hair back while washing my face - so much easier and doesn't put a "bump" in my straightened hair!

It's a nice, quick way to add a touch of the dress color to the skater's hair. Glad your girls are excited about them!

Offline KillianL

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 11:31:25 PM »
I use scrunchies - big thick ones - almost daily.  They help control flyaways and give the illusion of girth to my ponytail or bun of very fine hair.  I like the look and could care less whether or not it's fashion-forward.  Functional is what counts in my book!

I didn't own a single scrunchie in the 80's - but had banana clips aplenty that never stayed put.  And those crappy rubber bands with a big bead/marble-like thing on them.  And barrettes with obnoxious bows.  Here's hoping none of these "gems" come back in style!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »
LOL, I have super-curly hair that was basically made for those damn banana clips! Teenage me looked like I had a lion's mane with one of those things in! If they came back, I would be all set!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
Hilarious thread!

Offline berker

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 03:23:53 PM »
I recently found a modern alternative to the outdated scrunchie! It is called a bundazzle, and it is a really cool hair bun cover! My daughter loves it and wears it all the time to figure skating and dance.  They come in all different colors, and you don't have to stress yourself out with bobby pins, because it has a built in elastic.  The website is www.bundazzle.com.   I highly recommend them! :-) :-) :-)