You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Premium Skate Drying/Storage Wall Racks  (Read 6708 times)

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Premium Skate Drying/Storage Wall Racks
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:11:50 PM »
For sale are three different wall-hanging racks for holding teenage/adult figure skates. These will reduce the chances of getting rusty blades, allow gentle air circulation to dry boots, and attractively showcase your skates.

I made a drying/storage rack for myself several years ago because my skates stored in soakers over summer months developed substantial rust. In addition, they were kept on the floor where I was always concerned about kicking them and injuring myself. My skate rack solved both problems, and performed beyond my expecations.

I decided to make a few more for other skaters. I have for sale a walnut rack with maple pegs, a cherry rack with cherry pegs, and a very attractive rack made from curly maple with cherry accents.

First, the curly maple rack...

Here's another angle showing how the curly maple catches light in different ways depending upon the direction and quality of light. The way it catches light is similar to how silk fabric shimmers...

This rack is finished with a near-gloss, high-build finish to showcase the shimmering nature of curly maple.

The bottom pegs on all racks are protected from abrasion from sharp blades by a split piece of clear tubing. It can be easily removed if desired.

Price for the curly maple rack is $120 + $15 shipping. It's more expensive because of the extra labor to add the cherry accents.

Here is the walnut rack with maple pegs. Walnut is a darker color than most other woods, and should contrast very nicely with a pair of white skates against it. It probably would be a poor choice for black skates. Sorry, guys! The finish is a hand-rubbed oil-finish, low gloss, in the classic tradition for walnut. Because of the distinctive open pores of this wood species, it works best with a low sheen.

Price for the walnut rack is $100 + $15 shipping.

Last, here's a cherry rack with cherry pegs. Consider it unisex because it would work equally well with either white or black skate colors. The finish is satin - somewhere between the near-gloss of the maple and the hand-rubbed oil finish of walnut. It's appropriate for this wood, and very attractive. Price is $100 + $15 shipping.

You will have to mount the racks securely to the wall using wall studs for strength. I created installation instructions at:

http://www.afterness.com/skating/images/skate_rack_mount_instructions.pdf

They should be mounted to something very secure and immobile (not a door, flimsy bookcase, etc.) to be safe.

Here's a photo of my own skate rack showing how they work. I have this mounted to the side of a heavy steel filing cabinet in my home office.

If you want to purchase one of these racks, reply to this thread or send a private message here. I prefer PayPal, but I'm open to other options.
Bill Schneider

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Premium Skate Drying/Storage Wall Racks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:02:24 PM »
Bill these will make beautiful gifts!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 04:40:17 PM »
I'm a little early for the Christmas rush I guess!  ;)

I'm also sure the cost is a factor for many. I can guarantee that I didn't use any cheap offshore labor in the making of these! Just cheap Ohio labor - my own. I started right after last Christmas making these three racks. But it was extremely part-time work because of my day-job and a very cold basement shop.

I created a web page showing pictures of the steps in their making here: http://www.afterness.com/skating/skate_racks2.html

I forgot to mention that these are 14-1/2 inches in diameter, making them even larger than the rack that I made for myself. I figure that if they are "premium" racks, they should showcase the skates proudly.

I'm unsure about their use with unconventional skate blades. That can be determined with some measurements if someone has unusual blades. Since my rink is closed, I'm not exactly surrounded by examples to experiment with.

Bill Schneider

Offline AlbaNY

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 128
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 05:37:47 AM »
I know this post is years and years old, but the walnut isn’t marked sold…. It’s beautiful and such a nice solution to nicely storing skates.  I’m interested.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »
It's still here and available. If you want it, just send a PM and we can work out the details.

The shipping cost listed was for domestic shipping. I'm not sure about the wisdom of trying to ship this overseas right now, but I believe that you visit the states regularly.
Bill Schneider

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
The walnut rack is sold.
Bill Schneider

Offline AlbaNY

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 128
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 08:12:21 AM »
I haven't finished unpacking and putting away all our stuff from the move, but yesterday I installed the rack.  It's great!  I like how the soles of my boots go with the walnut.   :)
Thank you Bill!

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
That looks great! I like the walnut and sole combination too.

Thanks for posting the picture of it! Enjoy!
Bill Schneider