You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Dress lining  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
Dress lining
« on: May 17, 2014, 12:48:53 PM »
I'm working on the mockup of a competition dress, and debating what I want to use for a lining.  The mockup fabric is a bit on the thinner side, and as I'd like to ultimately use it for a practice dress (if not horrifying), I need to throw some lining in the body of the leotard.  Ideally, something that may help control a few lumps and bumps, if you know what I mean.  Thoughts?

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Dress lining
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
Swimsuit lining is probably your best bet.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
Powermesh is best for smoothing "lumps and bumps".

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »
For a practice dress, swimsuit lining should be just fine.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 12:51:25 AM »
Out of curiousity, where do you guys get these specialty fabrics like powermesh and swimsuit lining?  Online (care to share?) or a local brick and mortar?

I'm unfamiliar with powermesh and have never worked with it, so while SarahSpins is probably right with her answer, it might also be a good time to experiment with the powermesh.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 01:26:56 AM »
I buy my lining at a brick & mortar store though you could probably find it online. A cursory look online yielded this: http://www.fehrtrade.com/article/748/where-to-buy-exercise-fabric-a-global-list which may be helpful to you given your location.

Offline Loops

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 02:39:13 AM »
Thanks RachelPlotkin!  I usually buy my fabrics when I come stateside (or rotate shipping to me through various family units).  But that's a brilliant resource.  Prices here are double and selection is nowhere near what it is in the US.  Spandex/Supplex etc are especially hard to find.  Site is bookmarked and I will be exploring all those places!

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 03:17:21 AM »
When I want something a little sturdier than swimsuit lining, I use flesh color lycra spandex.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
I buy my lining at a brick & mortar store though you could probably find it online. A cursory look online yielded this: http://www.fehrtrade.com/article/748/where-to-buy-exercise-fabric-a-global-list which may be helpful to you given your location.

I think my hubby may hide my credit card now.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 04:20:16 PM »
Thanks RachelPlotkin!  I usually buy my fabrics when I come stateside (or rotate shipping to me through various family units).  But that's a brilliant resource.  Prices here are double and selection is nowhere near what it is in the US.  Spandex/Supplex etc are especially hard to find.  Site is bookmarked and I will be exploring all those places!
Ermm, I'm guessing you probably already know this, but just in case... the stretchy stuff is only called spandex in North America. ;) It is usually called Lycra (UK + a few other countries) or elastane (most of europe: though slighly different spelling of the word according to each language).

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:53:13 AM »
Ermm, I'm guessing you probably already know this, but just in case... the stretchy stuff is only called spandex in North America. ;) It is usually called Lycra (UK + a few other countries) or elastane (most of europe: though slighly different spelling of the word according to each language).

Adding to taka's comments, I just search for 4 way stretch. Quite often while they will say they've got Lycra/Spandex/Elastane in the material, if it's 2 way it's not great for making skating dresses from.

Offline Loops

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 05:53:10 AM »
Thanks Taka and Fsk8r...it does help to know the alternate terminologies- I usually search for lycra,  elastane is new for me though.  In France, if a store actually carries it, these things are categorized usually under "Stretch" [you have to say it in your head with a heavy french accent ;-)]

But it's the more technical materials that I have trouble with too- I presume for vocab reasons as much as anything else.  I wouldn't even begin to know how to search for "powermesh" in french!

You two have some good UK resources for this kind of material?  I collect bookmarks for fabric stores ;-)

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 08:25:03 AM »
Thanks Taka and Fsk8r...it does help to know the alternate terminologies- I usually search for lycra,  elastane is new for me though.  In France, if a store actually carries it, these things are categorized usually under "Stretch" [you have to say it in your head with a heavy french accent ;-)]

But it's the more technical materials that I have trouble with too- I presume for vocab reasons as much as anything else.  I wouldn't even begin to know how to search for "powermesh" in french!

You two have some good UK resources for this kind of material?  I collect bookmarks for fabric stores ;-)
If you're looking online, I would expect the powermesh to be in the "stretch" category.
I think there are some good resources in the UK, but as I don't make dresses (and don't know how to use a sewing machine), I'm not up with where they are. I've just picked up the lingo in talking with the dressmakers. I can ask if you're either wanting a good online resource or planning a trip over (there has to be a shop in London!)

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
For U.S. readers:  I use flesh color lycra spandex from JoAnn fabrics.  I believe if you look at the printed info on the end of the bolt of fabric, it actually calls it 'swimsuit lining'.   It's probably online on their website too but I've not tried that.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:57:47 PM »
The seamstress that makes my dresses lines them with a fabric called "jet set". It's heavier and stretches nicely. Keeps me a bit warmer too.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »
Note sure how helpful this is, but for non-competition dresses, if you don't want to go the extra mile for sewing a lining, there are these: http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/undergarments/page1?SID=577057608&Shop=Style.

Some have convertible tights, plus can be used under multiple items.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 12:48:54 AM »
Ended up using powermesh (Jo-Ann's had it in stock) and I liked the effect.  But while it helped with lumps and bumps, it didn't quite handle the "OMG this is going to get indecent very quickly" issues.  Oops, my bad.  That front panel needs a bit more tweaking to avoid horrifying those around me.  :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »
Note sure how helpful this is, but for non-competition dresses, if you don't want to go the extra mile for sewing a lining, there are these: http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/undergarments/page1?SID=577057608&Shop=Style.

Some have convertible tights, plus can be used under multiple items.

Just want to mention that dance wear in general doesn't so much as run 'small' but runs 'micro-small'. I've bought a leotard that was XL Adult and it was so short that it didn't even cover my boobs. It was more like for a 10 year old.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:41:51 PM »
Just want to mention that dance wear in general doesn't so much as run 'small' but runs 'micro-small'. I've bought a leotard that was XL Adult and it was so short that it didn't even cover my boobs. It was more like for a 10 year old.

Which is why most of my stuff is custom or self made. I have a couple of off the rack dresses, but I prefer the ones my seamstress makes.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)