You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What do you guys think about icemen  (Read 4473 times)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
What do you guys think about icemen
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:11 PM »
Hey everyone, SO I was on Facebook and I follow US figure skating and they posted something about new series program called icemen this year, it's the first year of the series. This is their link. http://usfsa.org/Programs.asp?id=529

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: What do you guys think about icemen
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
Thank you for posting this - I remember when this idea was brought forward - there are so few male skaters that I think it is a great idea so that the boys don't feel so isolated or wonder why they are attracted to a sport that attracts so many girls.

I see that one of the Icemen competitions will be held in my area this year - I look forward to seeing and perhaps judging some of those competitions - it is rather disheartening to see the boys not participate in non-qualifying competitions (because there are so few competitors at the same level) or be lumped in with the girls and then become totally disheartened when they don't place well.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:02:02 AM »

Thank you for posting this - I remember when this idea was brought forward - there are so few male skaters that I think it is a great idea so that the boys don't feel so isolated or wonder why they are attracted to a sport that attracts so many girls.

I see that one of the Icemen competitions will be held in my area this year - I look forward to seeing and perhaps judging some of those competitions - it is rather disheartening to see the boys not participate in non-qualifying competitions (because there are so few competitors at the same level) or be lumped in with the girls and then become totally disheartened when they don't place well.

Yes I agree. And I also like that they have a competition level for people who haven't tested yet, such as myself lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:51 PM »
I think it's great. I looked for it on Facebook, but it's not there as a page.  Is it social media too?

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 08:25:29 PM »
Us figure skating posted it on fb

Ripping the ice all day!

Offline LKnomad

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:59:05 PM »
I plan to prep my son (and hopefully his friend) for the 2015 year. I noticed that USFSA posted it to FB the day after it closed for entries. The boys never had a chance to even know if it was something they wanted to do. I had never heard of it. I wanted my son to participate in the conference calls as well but he is ISI right now and has not tested for his pre pre yet so I cannot even register him. The coach is waiting until he is close to his axel before testing and he just started learning it so we are not ready. Still he was interested in the conference calls...Too bad. Next year.

Offline PocketNinja

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
I thought the Icemen series started last year? I went to a comp. in South Florida last September and the announcement mentioned that it was an Icemen event. There were a lot more guys around then the year before...

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »
The calls started three years ago I think. The series of events started I think two years ago. We did the calls the first two years but most of what they talked about  was the same information that is given to all skaters. What to eat, how to control nerves and so on.