You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: AAAHHHHH - DD outgrew her skates again - in FOUR months!!!  (Read 3478 times)

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
AAAHHHHH - DD outgrew her skates again - in FOUR months!!!
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:08 AM »
And they were just starting to feel comfortable   :-\  We weren't expecting to have to shell out again so soon. They are being stretched and should get us another six weeks before we have to order, at least that gives me time to figure out where to come up with the money. But it's not just the money - it's also the thought of heating, retying, rubbing feet, etc. which makes lessons so much less productive. Oh well - order new skates or quit and she doesn't want to quit. This rapid growing during adolescence is gonna break our bank!

*oops, edited for spelling.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
Re: AAAHHHHH - DD outgrew her skates again - in FOUR months!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
Bummer!  I'm pretty sure my parents could commiserate with you.  Four months seems kind of short though- you must have gotten nailed by a growth spurt. 

I guess the good thing is that you know where to go and what to do.  Really wish you didn't have to revisit that so quickly though.

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
The good news is the skates are probably in good shape and you can resell them to somebody in the same boat, but a foot size behind you!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
This rapid growing during adolescence is gonna break our bank!
Just think how much you are contributing to keeping the economy bubbling along  ;D I have 5 daughters, so I understand your pain.   Thankfully mine are grown and on their own now. Its funny to hear them complain about how quickly their kids outgrow clothes etc.

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:52:10 AM »
Somebody will get a great deal since they are just barely broken in. We, unfortunately, will be ordering skates sooner rather then later because the stretching didn't give her enough room. AND since she's grown a full size, the coro ace blade we bought isn't going to fit. AAarrg  >:(. Off to the skate shop we go on Monday - cross your fingers that a used pair of perfectly fitting skates arrives at the store sometime this weekend.  :WS:

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:54:32 AM »
Maybe look at growth insoles?  I've seen it done in Harlicks, but I'm sure it'd work in other skates.  They basically buy you a 1/2 size I think...

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »
Growth insoles are typically used in skates that are sized too large (often by a whole size) to begin with - they take up extra room in the boot so they fit "smaller" initially, while being removable later on.  Most coaches don't actually recommend them - there are all kinds of issues created by skating in a skate that is too long.  It is always preferable to skate in boots that fit.

Also, don't be so certain that her old blades won't work on the new boots - even if you have "slightly" more than the 1/4" gap behind the blade at the heel, they might still be usable, but you'd need to have your fitter or skate technician check it. 

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »
I can't solve the central problem - that her feet are still growing. Solutions to that are way too drastic.

But

1. Try removing the insoles altogether. They may be lightly glued in, which means you have to pull harder. That makes a lot of extra space inside the boot.

If there is anything rough or pointy on the bottom of the boot, you will at least need to insert something thick enough to prevent imprint or injury on the bottom of the foot. Trace the old insole onto a piece of thick paper or cardboard, then cut to the same shape.

You may need to add tape or Moleskin (or other adhesive foam) in spots to the underside of your substitute insoles to provide any support she needs under her arches.

2. Make sure she heats the boots under a bathroom hand drier or with a hair drier just before putting them on, so they conform better. That's a big deal.

3. Also consider thinner socks, or wearing none inside the boots, though not everyone is comfy and healthy barefoot. Plus, barefoot may make the boots stink, and reduce resell value - but it may let her keep the boots a little longer.

4. If I were you, I would get boots that are a little too big next time (1/2 size, maybe almost a full size), and add an extra pair of insoles from a dollar store for now (re-cut to fit, as above) to take up the space. After all, by the time the ordered boots come, she will already have grown a sizable fraction of a half size again.

5.  Ask coaches and other skaters whether they know anyone who just outgrew boots about your DD's size. Maybe someone's used boots will be good for her. Not super-likely, but you might get lucky.

6. Now, if only she was a world class skater who could get free boots and blades from the manufacturers, or a skate coach who could get discounts. Tell her to win Nationals before the next time she needs skates!  ::>)  (Too bad she will need several pairs of boots before Nationals.)

Good luck.

Offline DressmakingMomma

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
6. Now, if only she was a world class skater who could get free boots and blades from the manufacturers, or a skate coach who could get discounts. Tell her to win Nationals before the next time she needs skates!  ::>)  (Too bad she will need several pairs of boots before Nationals.)

Good luck.

That's Funny!

We bit the bullet today and ordered DD a pair of Harlick Competitors. She never felt comfortable with the stiffness of the premieres even though they fit well (for a short time anyway) and I feel like it may have been holding up her progress. It's more money, but coaching and ice time is also expensive, not to mention the frustration of having trouble with things that used to be easier. Her skates are on the stretcher one more time tonight in hopes of getting by until the new ones come. I sure wish Jackson would offer wide sizes in their freestyle boot for kids who don't have standard feet - there just aren't good options for the poor girls with duck feet unless you spend a ridiculous amount of money.