You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Transition period from boots and blades.  (Read 5025 times)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 3
  • live, breathe, eat figure skating
Transition period from boots and blades.
« on: April 03, 2014, 06:38:35 PM »
Ok so I don't know how you guys manage it. I'm in that transitional period where I've ordered my boots and blade and I'm just here PATIENTLY waiting for them to arrive. My current boots are so bad that trying to skate in them is just doing damage to my ankles rather than to just have fun skating or get some practice in. I finally got my blades today thanks to a great person on this forum. But the wait for the pro-shop to deliver the boots is just agonizing. Supposedly they would be in by Saturday. So lets see.... Any of you guys want to share your transitional period. This is my first transition.

Mod note: Topic moved to the Pro Shop (aka: equipment discussions) forum.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Transition period from boots and blades.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Maybe you will get lucky.. with my last pair I was able to do pretty much "everything" right away - I had no major problems, and breaking them in was a breeze. I didn't change boot brands (just model) and I used identical blades to my old skates, so it wasn't a huge change.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
My next transition ought to be interesting--I'm going from too long to (hopefully) the correct length, possibly even putting the rocker under the ball of my foot rather than my toes. I'm excited, yet worried. Can't wait for them to get here.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »
Have patience with yourself when you get out there with the new boots and blades - from the changes you describe, they're going to feel totally different. 'Totally different' means that even things you know well might feel difficult ...but only for a short time. Hoping you will double your potential and the simple joy of working.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »

My next transition ought to be interesting--I'm going from too long to (hopefully) the correct length, possibly even putting the rocker under the ball of my foot rather than my toes. I'm excited, yet worried. Can't wait for them to get here.

That does sound exciting it'll feel different for you then. I hope it's for the best. Good luck!! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 08:03:34 PM »

Have patience with yourself when you get out there with the new boots and blades - from the changes you describe, they're going to feel totally different. 'Totally different' means that even things you know well might feel difficult ...but only for a short time. Hoping you will double your potential and the simple joy of working.

I don't think they will feel very different except for the fact that I'll have much more ankle support and the blades are better. Same rocker size but better blade. However, like you said I have to have patience to learn to work the difference in blade feel and boot fit. Thank you so much. :)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »

Maybe you will get lucky.. with my last pair I was able to do pretty much "everything" right away - I had no major problems, and breaking them in was a breeze. I didn't change boot brands (just model) and I used identical blades to my old skates, so it wasn't a huge change.

From what to what blade did you go from Sarah? I'm going from eclipse astra to coronation ace.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
I went from Phantom profile Paramounts with only about 6 months of use on them to a new version of the same.   I was worried I would have more trouble transitioning to my new boots than I did so I didn't want to just pull the blades off my old boots - I realize now that I easily could have used my old blades, but now I basically have an extra pair of blades that can go on my next pair of boots.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »

I went from Phantom profile Paramounts with only about 6 months of use on them to a new version of the same.   I was worried I would have more trouble transitioning to my new boots than I did so I didn't want to just pull the blades off my old boots - I realize now that I easily could have used my old blades, but now I basically have an extra pair of blades that can go on my next pair of boots.

Oh ok I thought it was a different blade. Lol. What blade did you have before the phantom paramounts? I would love paramounts but of course not made in my size uuuuggghhhhh.

Offline so_jesslovescats

• Pinkie Pie on skates
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »
This is my first transition as well! My coach made me stop skating in till we could get something sorted out and it's been DRIVING ME MAD. I have actually been injured skating on damaged blades (they basically would not sharpen and the falls they caused were spectacular). I start skating again this sunday so here is hoping this transition goes smooth!
Special Olympics figure skater
Lover of skating,the color pink and cats

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
What blade did you have before the phantom paramounts? I would love paramounts but of course not made in my size uuuuggghhhhh.

Phantom Specials :)

I love my Paramounts - they hold their edges forever, which is primarily why I switched, and that transition went just fine - the new blades felt a little "weird" for a few sessions, then I stopped thinking about it.   I used to have sharpen my skates about every 6 weeks, and now I am on the ice a lot more and I just went a little over 5 months without a sharpening (I had them done in October, before I tested my Gold moves in November) and then again just a few weeks ago and they weren't even "that bad" yet... normally I wait until I am really needing them done, but we have a workshop coming up soon and I wanted them sharp for that.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »

This is my first transition as well! My coach made me stop skating in till we could get something sorted out and it's been DRIVING ME MAD. I have actually been injured skating on damaged blades (they basically would not sharpen and the falls they caused were spectacular). I start skating again this sunday so here is hoping this transition goes smooth!

Glad you got better equipment. Good luck on your transition.

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »

I love my Paramounts - they hold their edges forever, which is primarily why I switched, and that transition went just fine - the new blades felt a little "weird" for a few sessions, then I stopped thinking about it.   I used to have sharpen my skates about every 6 weeks, and now I am on the ice a lot more and I just went a little over 5 months without a sharpening (I had them done in October, before I tested my Gold moves in November) and then again just a few weeks ago and they weren't even "that bad" yet... normally I wait until I am really needing them done, but we have a workshop coming up soon and I wanted them sharp for that.

Wow the blade life on that is amazing I am sooooo jelly right now. LOL!  I assume you must save a lot money on that. Yay for stainless!!!!

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »

They don't make custom sizes right?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »
I don't know if they do - but you could always email Rob and ask.  I don't see why they couldn't - the component parts are cut by CNC. 

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 11:02:41 PM »

I don't know if they do - but you could always email Rob and ask.  I don't see why they couldn't - the component parts are cut by CNC.

Sorry dumb question. But how do I get rob's email?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
It's on their website :)

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 11:39:39 AM »

Sorry dumb question. But how do I get rob's email?

Thank youuu

Offline TropicalSk8ter

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 09:38:51 PM »

It's on their website :)

Hey Sarah, in case you wanted to know I wasn't able to speak with rob I spoke with Harlene she said she's one of the owners  of paramount. She told me that they didn't produce them bigger than a size 11 and wasn't able to order customs at the moment. What she did say was that they where in the end-stages of making them available to the regular line up as early as a month from now. She didn't tell me to what size is the biggest they'll make. I'm assuming size 12. She also told me that they were coming out soon with a new line up of blades called the paramount traditional series. She said to copy pattern99 and goldseal  which I thought they had already copies of this so I really don't know what she's talking about. Well that's all she told me. What do you think?