You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: ISI Adult Championship 2014  (Read 8875 times)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Total GOE: 11
  • Ice is Nice
    • Allocca Biotechnology, LLC
ISI Adult Championship 2014
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
Re: ISI Adult Championship 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
See you in NJ!!!

Gotta get to work on those programs!!! :o
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »
I wonder how much competition there will be in the age bracket of around 65 in Freestyle 1-4

John :)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
Gotta love how the logo says New York, when it's actually in NJ.  SuperBowl did the same thing.  (OMG, have I been living in NJ long enough now to have a chip on my shoulder about that?)

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »
There is also the NY Giant who are in NJ.

I can't figure it out.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:28 PM »
As far as I can recall (native New Yorker here), the Giants used to play at Yankee Stadium and the Jets at the old Shea Stadium.  Both the Yankees and the Mets were tired of the pounding the fields would take when a football game was played and so, when the contract expired, they kicked football out.  So, they ended up in NJ.

At least that's the story we were told in the Daily News.

I thought the Super Bowl was in Brooklyn.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:32:43 AM »
Both teams have the words "New York" in their legal corporate titles, which is why they continue to be called the "NY Jets" and "NY Giants."  In this case, the ISI is off-base in trying to pass off Montclair, NJ as a suburb of NYC, ROFLOL!

As far as I can recall (native New Yorker here), the Giants used to play at Yankee Stadium and the Jets at the old Shea Stadium.  Both the Yankees and the Mets were tired of the pounding the fields would take when a football game was played and so, when the contract expired, they kicked football out.  So, they ended up in NJ.

At least that's the story we were told in the Daily News.
One of my most-favorite parts of being a native NY'er are the urban myths and Leon Hess (Jets owner) was a larger-than-life target for these overblown myths.  Having been a "Hessian," I know it was because he was very blunt and outspoken.  That said, Leon Myth #37 was that, after a Jets game at Shea he complained about the filthy bathrooms and the management company gave him static, so he moved the Jets to NJ.  Someone in the know told me it was actually because he got a better lease offer from NJ and it was more convenient.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:11:46 AM »
When the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA and broke everyone's heart in Brooklyn, they became known as the LA Dodges. Why didn't the Giants and the Jets change their names to NJ Giants and NJ Jets?

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
In this case, the ISI is off-base in trying to pass off Montclair, NJ as a suburb of NYC, ROFLOL!

Well really, it sort of is!  (Direct train line into Manhattan and lots of commuters...)  But I wouldn't advertise the event as being in NYC.  That's just deceptive.  Though I suppose to someone coming from out of town Montclair is close enough to make a side trip to the city appealing.

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
When the Brooklyn Dodgers moved to LA and broke everyone's heart in Brooklyn, they became known as the LA Dodges. Why didn't the Giants and the Jets change their names to NJ Giants and NJ Jets?

Because they didn't cross the Mississippi River   ;D

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 01:09:07 PM »

The Brooklyn Dodgers wasn't the team's legal name; it was a nickname that everyone used instead of the incorporated "Brooklyn Base Ball Club."  The name change to LA Dodgers was part of the contract with Los Angeles and to be honest, they had already changed their name many times before, so one more change didn't matter.  Very few of their Brooklyn fans were going to attend games regularly, so they were starting from scratch for attendance and loyalty.  Created quite the rift with the Brooklyn fans: to this day some still curse O'Malley.

In the Jets' and Giants' situation, the move to NJ was less drastic in terms of distance; they had to retain the NY-based fans to make a profit.  The owners couldn't rename the beloved teams or they'd lose the fans.  Maybe they learned from the Dodgers not to tick off the fan base.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 01:10:26 PM »
Well really, it sort of is!  (Direct train line into Manhattan and lots of commuters...)  But I wouldn't advertise the event as being in NYC.  That's just deceptive.  Though I suppose to someone coming from out of town Montclair is close enough to make a side trip to the city appealing.

Hoboken/Jersey City are more like NYC suburbs, Montclair is a bedroom community for commuters  The commute time and distance make a huge difference. 

For the record, I love Montclair.  I skated at Clary Arena for years and Inside Edge's ISI competition was the first one for all my dds.  DH and I looks at homes in Montclair, but the commute was no better than what we already were doing.

I agree about the NYC promotion being deceptive, although the ISI often incorporates non-skating activities, like group trips and tickets.  Maybe they have plans to do something like that, but if you're going, don't fly into JFK; it's a looong ride to Montclair. (Not you, personally. I know you are local.)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
Hoboken/Jersey City are more like NYC suburbs, Montclair is a bedroom community for commuters  The commute time and distance make a huge difference.

For the record, I love Montclair.  I skated at Clary Arena for years and Inside Edge's ISI competition was the first one for all my dds.  DH and I looks at homes in Montclair, but the commute was no better than what we already were doing.

I agree about the NYC promotion being deceptive, although the ISI often incorporates non-skating activities, like group trips and tickets.  Maybe they have plans to do something like that, but if you're going, don't fly into JFK; it's a looong ride to Montclair. (Not you, personally. I know you are local.)

OK, good point.  :) 

I'm actually *very* local... if anyone wants local recommendations (hotels, restaurants, stuff to do, etc.) in the area let me know!

Offline johnallocca

• Pinwheel Pro
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:13:31 AM »
I still say, if it is in NY, call it NY. If it is in NJ, call it NJ. Period.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
Thought I'd bump this thread back up… just a reminder that if you want to compete the registration deadline is Sept 1.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
LOL John, I agree.  I saw New York and thought why is it in NJ then?
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:44 PM »
Competition schedule has now been posted!

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?content=adult_schedule_db

(Nova and Vega are the two rinks at Floyd Hall Arena.)

I'm not sure I understand how they decide on the groupings… I'm in a group of three for solo compulsories and for stroking, but on my own for my actual program?  Not complaining, just trying to understand the system...

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Competition schedule has now been posted!

http://www.skateisi.com/site/Sub.Cfm?content=adult_schedule_db

(Nova and Vega are the two rinks at Floyd Hall Arena.)

I'm not sure I understand how they decide on the groupings… I'm in a group of three for solo compulsories and for stroking, but on my own for my actual program?  Not complaining, just trying to understand the system...

Yeah, I don't understand either. Maybe it's ok for you compete against the older ladies in compulsory but not in freestyle?
I'm in the warm up group before you for compulsory & freestyle. I'm in FS1. I've got to change my dress after compulsory for my artistic program that comes next but I'll try to be there to cheer for you in your events.
Anyone else from here competing?

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
Yeah, I don't understand either. Maybe it's ok for you compete against the older ladies in compulsory but not in freestyle?
I'm in the warm up group before you for compulsory & freestyle. I'm in FS1. I've got to change my dress after compulsory for my artistic program that comes next but I'll try to be there to cheer for you in your events.
Anyone else from here competing?

I'll try to be there to cheer for you too!  I think there's at least one other person on the forum coming.  Interestingly, there seem to be very few people from local NJ rinks coming.  Since I'm *very* local, I think I'm actually going to have an embarrassingly large cheering section.  My friends are all very amused that I'm doing this and want to be supportive.  (OK, I think they just want to see me in a dress with their own eyes!)  I'll tell them they have to cheer for everyone.   ;)

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »
I'll try to be there to cheer for you too!  I think there's at least one other person on the forum coming.  Interestingly, there seem to be very few people from local NJ rinks coming.  Since I'm *very* local, I think I'm actually going to have an embarrassingly large cheering section.  My friends are all very amused that I'm doing this and want to be supportive.  (OK, I think they just want to see me in a dress with their own eyes!)  I'll tell them they have to cheer for everyone.   ;)

That sounds like me! You would only catch me in a dress at weddings or funerals & the pantyhose would make me miserable, so I don't even do that anymore. But I like wearing skating dresses & tights. Skating tights are way more comfy than pantyhose & the rink is cold so you're not sweating under the fancy outfit. ( I live in FL, we sweat year round down here. That's one of the reasons the ice rink is the best place to be!)
Some of my family members are coming to watch & afterward we're going to do the tourist thing in NYC. Since you're local maybe you can give me some advice on using the public transportation to get to NYC. We're staying at a hotel in Fairfield & will have a rental car. We're trying to get to the Central Park area on Sunday. Apparently a lot of the train stations don't have parking & they don't all operate on the weekend? Trying to figure it out was giving me a headache.  :-\

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
That sounds like me! You would only catch me in a dress at weddings or funerals & the pantyhose would make me miserable, so I don't even do that anymore. But I like wearing skating dresses & tights. Skating tights are way more comfy than pantyhose & the rink is cold so you're not sweating under the fancy outfit. ( I live in FL, we sweat year round down here. That's one of the reasons the ice rink is the best place to be!)
Some of my family members are coming to watch & afterward we're going to do the tourist thing in NYC. Since you're local maybe you can give me some advice on using the public transportation to get to NYC. We're staying at a hotel in Fairfield & will have a rental car. We're trying to get to the Central Park area on Sunday. Apparently a lot of the train stations don't have parking & they don't all operate on the weekend? Trying to figure it out was giving me a headache.  :-\

Unfortunately the Montclair-Boonton line doesn't run as far as campus on weekends.  (Go figure… not like there's a bunch of college kids there who might want to go into the city for the weekend…)  I'm pretty sure it runs as far as the Bay Street station, which does have a parking deck.  That might be a good bet.  You could also check the two main bus services- NJ Transit and Decamp bus lines.  I don't think Decamp has anything in the immediate Fairfield area, but there's a line (#66) that runs through Montclair to Port Authority.  NJ Transit has a fairly major stop at Willowbrook Mall in Wayne (on rt 46 not far from Fairfield) that should have routes to NYC.  If you're comfortable with city driving you could drive in- Rt 46 goes right to Rt 3 near campus, which takes you to the Lincoln Tunnel.  Go at the wrong time and you'll hit theater traffic, though.

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 08:33:55 PM »
Unfortunately the Montclair-Boonton line doesn't run as far as campus on weekends.  (Go figure… not like there's a bunch of college kids there who might want to go into the city for the weekend…)  I'm pretty sure it runs as far as the Bay Street station, which does have a parking deck.  That might be a good bet.  You could also check the two main bus services- NJ Transit and Decamp bus lines.  I don't think Decamp has anything in the immediate Fairfield area, but there's a line (#66) that runs through Montclair to Port Authority.  NJ Transit has a fairly major stop at Willowbrook Mall in Wayne (on rt 46 not far from Fairfield) that should have routes to NYC.  If you're comfortable with city driving you could drive in- Rt 46 goes right to Rt 3 near campus, which takes you to the Lincoln Tunnel.  Go at the wrong time and you'll hit theater traffic, though.

Thank you!
We don't want to attempt driving & parking in NYC. From either Willowbrook mall or Bay Street station looks pretty good. Just trying to keep it simple for the group we'll have.
I couldn't believe it when I saw that they didn't run all the lines on the weekends. I though no way does everyone just stay home/ on campus for the weekend.

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
It used to be primarily a commuter campus, so there really wasn't anyone around on weekends.  That's changing, though- a lot more dorms.  Don't know if it's enough to support extending the train line on weekends, though.

From either Penn Station (NYC; don't get confused as there is also a Penn Station in Newark!) or Port Authority you should be able to take the subway up to Central Park, or cab if you'd rather.  81st St station lets you out in the basement entrance of the American Museum of Natural History.   :)

Offline cbskater

• Axelicious!
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:12 PM »
It used to be primarily a commuter campus, so there really wasn't anyone around on weekends.  That's changing, though- a lot more dorms.  Don't know if it's enough to support extending the train line on weekends, though.

From either Penn Station (NYC; don't get confused as there is also a Penn Station in Newark!) or Port Authority you should be able to take the subway up to Central Park, or cab if you'd rather.  81st St station lets you out in the basement entrance of the American Museum of Natural History.   :)

Oh cool, thanks! That museum is on our "must-see" list.