You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating dress fit-having an awful time!!!  (Read 1784 times)

Offline so_jesslovescats

• Pinkie Pie on skates
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 8
Skating dress fit-having an awful time!!!
« on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »
I am a XL and have a EXTRA long torso so all my freaking dresses look like this:

IT's ISN'T long enough and you can tell. The skirt starts at my bottom rib(about two inches below I think) and not my hips it's my test dress and it looks so ill fitting. Any tips or solutions for getting the dresses to fit? It sucks because of medications I have to be on I am a XL.
Any ideas? Is custom the way I'm going to have to go?
Special Olympics figure skater
Lover of skating,the color pink and cats

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Skating dress fit-having an awful time!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »
I don't know if you'll have to go custom or not, but I don't think it's as bad as you seem to feel.
The fit in the picture seems okay as if the dress was made with a dropped waist, but a longer skirt might balance the dress a bit better. Many times you can order a dress but specify a longer skirt without much of an extra charge.

The other option would be to go with a separate leotard and skirt. That way you could get a leotard to fit, and the skirts are available in a wide variety of sizes as well.

I  need to make my own dresses because I'm built funny. Imagine a 5'6" woman from the hips up, with the legs of a 5' woman. And because I lift weights I have a tank like quality. Plus 50 extra pounds. Sigh. None of us are perfect.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline so_jesslovescats

• Pinkie Pie on skates
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »
Agnes' I feel you! I wear petite pants on the bottom because I have small legs and than a giant torso that would fit on a 5'9 person and be just fine..... I have the same issue with bathing suits either two low in the chest area or to high in the hips.
Special Olympics figure skater
Lover of skating,the color pink and cats

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »
I don't know if you'll have to go custom or not, but I don't think it's as bad as you seem to feel.
The fit in the picture seems okay as if the dress was made with a dropped waist, but a longer skirt might balance the dress a bit better. Many times you can order a dress but specify a longer skirt without much of an extra charge.

The other option would be to go with a separate leotard and skirt. That way you could get a leotard to fit, and the skirts are available in a wide variety of sizes as well.

I  need to make my own dresses because I'm built funny. Imagine a 5'6" woman from the hips up, with the legs of a 5' woman. And because I lift weights I have a tank like quality. Plus 50 extra pounds. Sigh. None of us are perfect.

I like that suggestion Agnes - separates sounds like a great option - you want to be comfortable in what you are wearing. Like you say no one is perfect - I hate trying to fit skirts/dresses - I have a small waist but really wide hips, the more I work at fixing weakness in my glutes and build up muscle, the worse it gets. For business clothes I end up with skirts around my ribs because they refuse to sit over my hips and stay on the waist.

But also there is nothing to say that if you don't find anything comfortable in the dress/skirt range that you can't get a top/pant combo, I seem to recall Olympic skaters in exactly that combo.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »
Skatewear, like dancewear, tends to fit on the smaller side - if you are bigger, or even just taller than average, sizing can be very problematic.  Custom may be the only way to go if you can't find an off the rack dress that you feel comfortable and confident in.