You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Beating the "System"  (Read 2601 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Beating the "System"
« on: March 01, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
My health savings account will allow my doctor to prescribe fitness classes  to correct specific issues (high blood pressure, obesity etc). My ortho told me to 'keep on skating' so I said "would you prescribe that so I can deduct my skating off my HSA?"
So he's going to fill out the paperwork, and I assume the diagnosis that skating will 'fix' will be my clinically imbalanced weak left leg. How you put that in doctor talk that has a code I'll be interested to see.
Whether my HSA will buy off on it, I don't know.
Stickin' it to the man!

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Beating the "System"
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 10:01:42 AM »
You/your doctor may need to provide some kind of verification that indicates that you are more than just messing around on the ice once in a while. I really don't see that being a problem in your case since you have a good record of frequent and regular attendance and lessons as well. Send them a picture of Frowny Russian coach  ;D

Also, I came across your updated/illustrated version of the 6 stages of adult skating on your blog. Laughed so hard I nearly made myself sick. Absolutely made my day.

Offline sk8time

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »
I'm going to keep this in mind - after suffering a knee hyperextension, the most successful exercise for making it feel better and regain strength was actually moves and ice dance (definitely not jumps/spins!).

I like the idea of tapping the health savings account...  :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 05:27:18 PM »
A few years ago my HSA agreed to let me charge off my fitness classes after I submitted the appropriate paperwork.
Everything went fine for 3 months then bang! not acceptable.  >:(
So it appears to depend on who gets your paper that day.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 05:28:16 PM »
[quote author=jbruced link=topic=5693.msg64725#msg64725 date=1393686102

Also, I came across your upted/illustrated version of the 6 stages of adult skating on your blog. Laughed so hard I nearly made myself sick. Absolutely made my day.
[/quote]

Oh, and thanks! Big Huggs!

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
A few years ago my HSA agreed to let me charge off my fitness classes after I submitted the appropriate paperwork.
Everything went fine for 3 months then bang! not acceptable.  >:(
So it appears to depend on who gets your paper that day.
You would think they would realize that fitness leads to lower medical costs in the long run and would actively participate helping people achieve a lifestyle that promotes health and fitness.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Your doctor could use the ICD-9 diagnosis code of 718.86 (Hyperextension knee joint).  Perhaps the CPT codes for Physical Medicine/Therapy/Occupational Therapy of: 97005-97006 of Athletic Training Evaluation and Re-Evaluation might help.  Good luck.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
way to go!
I worked for a firm once that would subsidize fitness memberships.  I told them I skate for fitness does that count and they said sure!  Really why can't skating be considered part of a fitness program.

For your case it is great for legs, core.mmchances are you have a professional helping you.  It's great.

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 09:45:22 PM »
Just wanted to add that you'll need to get your doctor to use that diagnosis code BEFORE October (I know, it's still March) because the code will no longer be valid after that.  The CPT code will still be okay.  Remind him/her to also use the regular E&M code for the regular office visit (99211-99215 depending on the length of the visit).  Then possibly the 97005-97006 will be approved and your doctor will be reimbursed.  It really depends on the riders of your health plan contract.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/