You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Can you tell a skate's width just by measurements?  (Read 4420 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
Can you tell a skate's width just by measurements?
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
I have the interior measurements (2" at heel, 3" inside with the tongue pulled down) for a pair of size 8 ladies' skates.

Is there a way to tell if they are wide, narrow or regular width just by those measurements?

(These are being sold online and I can't see them in person.)
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
Re: Can you tell a skate's width just by measurements?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:55:41 AM »
If you're wondering if the skates will fit,  I'd just take a tracing of my foot  (have somwone draw around it while you're standing on a piece of paper and measure the drawing.  If your foot is bigger than the measurements, then it's a pretty good bet that the skate won't fit.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:37:52 AM »
I can't answer the question - but I'm sure it depends in part on the brand of skate, just like normal shoes. (And, for that matter, you might fit one brand's narrow but another brand's wide. Even the length of a size 8 varies substantially by brand, as it does for normal shoes. And you might need to know whether a size 8 is a child size 8 or an adult size 8.) In addition, it was potentially affected by possible customizations, such as a mixed width or custom fit orders.

Because I've had a lot of trouble with skate fit, I would personally hesitate to buy by mail - especially from a non-expert.

But it's your choice.

If you could talk the seller into temporally removing the insole, scanning it (a lot of printers now have built in scanners) with a ruler in the same scan, and sending you the scanned image, you could then print it, zooming it up until it matches the ruler scale, and see how it fits around your foot. Do for both feet, of course.

That isn't the whole story, as feet are three dimensional. But it is a start.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
Thank you, blue111moon and Query. Those are some good ideas.

Because I've had a lot of trouble with skate fit, I would personally hesitate to buy by mail - especially from a non-expert.

But it's your choice.

I normally wouldn't, but these are just meant to be a basic pair for recreational skating once a week (not actually for me, for someone else).  :)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »
I would just ask for the insole measurements -- not necessarily a scanned image

One thing about insoles, though. Jackson uses the same insole for many sizes (like sizes 5,6,7). I'm wearing a size 5, and I know that the insole can fold slightly inside the boot so it's not a good measure of fit.

Is the seller sure there are no identifying marks on the boot? It might be on the inside of the boot.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:02:43 PM »
sampaguita-- I saw the inside of the boot in a picture (albeit a fuzzy one). All the size said was 8...so I'm not sure.

That's a good idea about the insole.

Here's a link to the skates.
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Womens-Size-8-Ice-Skates-MK-blades-FREE-Shipping-/171163431169?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

They don't look wide to me--I have super wide (mens' D, and I'm a girl) skates, and they don't seem wide based on that. But I don't know.

I wish I knew the brand--the seller doesn't know, but says they have MK blades. I would guess that someone gave them to her to sell? ???

Thanks for your help! You've been really helpful with my many questions! ;D

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:57:17 PM »
If you look at the picture with the size on it, it's a recreational boot made in Taiwan, ROC (China). In all likelihood, they only make skates in one width.

My guess is that this is either a narrow or a medium, but it's definitely not a wide. It's kinda weird that the blades are MK but the boots are recreational. I wonder what MK blade this is -- I'm not familiar with their recreational line.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »
Thanks for your input, sampaguita!

That is weird...maybe it's not the same MK?

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 08:12:54 AM »
Well, the blades are rivetted on, not screwed so they can't be too high end.   Looks like a purely recreational skate to me and probably comparable to the skates you'd buy in a place like Dick's Sporting Goods.  I doubt they sold for much more than $50 to $75 dollars new. 

But for the occasional skater, they'd probably be okay.  I know the ones I started group lessons in decades ago were a lot worse and they got me up through waltz jumps and salchows.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »
I'm thinking that too. But they might be okay if they just were used for forward/backward skating...not sure. Thanks for your input!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
I think the boots you've linked to might be an old Risport or maybe Riedell rec model, with what look like MK Select or MK Star rec-level blades rivetted on.  Nearly 10 years ago, I bought my DD a used pair of Risports with Selects rivetted, and if my memory serves me properly (no guarantee there!), they looked very similar to these ones.  The boots I bought my DD were made with black soles; Risport hadn't yet moved to the beige PVC they use now.  I remember the boots had only 3 hooks; adult sizes at the time had 4.  The boots you've linked have 5 hooks.  I haven't seen 5-hook figure boots around for a very long time, so I suspect the ones you've linked are now quite old.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
aussieskater-- That would be great if they were Risports/Riedells. It would make sense that they're pretty old.
If they are just an older recreational model, I think they'd be worth it (how new they are doesn't really matter at all). From looking a bit more on eBay, I saw a pair of "Hyde" skates (never heard of them) with MK blades apparently riveted on.

Do you think they'd be a reasonable idea then?

Thanks for your help!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:19:36 PM »
Waltzjump - I'm only going on my memory of what my DD's skates looked like a decade ago, so I coud very easily be wrong! In any event, if they're as old as I suspect they might be, I don't think they're worth what the seller is asking for them, even if they are Risport or Riedell.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
It does seem kind of risky. I wonder if it would be better to just get a brand new pair of recreational skates (Riedell or Jackson)? They'd cost more, but most definitely last longer....

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »
Beginner riedells are better than these skates, imho. You can also find them used, which can bring down the price significantly.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 04:37:16 PM »
I'm kind of thinking that, too. My sister has recreational Soft Series Riedells that were only $60--and they're very nice and good quality.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
It's a little hard to tell from the pictures, but they look a little broken down, because there is a bit of a bend in the place that skates break down. I'd personally stay away from them (especially since I'm a guy, but even if I weren't).

If you really want to save money, go to the biggest Salvation army or similar store in your area. You may get lucky and pick something up that almost fits for $5-$10. Then you can stretch or fill it to size. But look carefully for signs of breakdown. Another thing to look for is the distance between the toe pick and the furthest forward point on the blade that the steel can touch a level surface. Will be around a couple inches on most new skate blades, though many beginner skate bladess have more. Much less than that, and it would be hard for a beginner to skate.

But lets be clear. There are few things more important than getting skates that fit well. You make a mistake there and you pay for it in pain, and possible future medical bills.

Sometimes you are better off buying the real thing.

A lot of young figure skaters sell their used boots cheap and in good condition because they have outgrown them. You might ask around your rink whether there are local places people do that. Some rinks, skating clubs or coaches keep a file of people wanting to sell. Sometimes you can get very good skates that way.

I love to economize, but I wouldn't buy junky skates. But again, just my take.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
Thanks for your help, Query.
I decided not to get these ones. It seemed much too risky, not knowing what brand they were or if they were too cheap, too old or whatever.

Offline xoxo_tw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 08:39:45 AM »
I always get lost from most size charts,

I currently use a size 9B,  the ball width is 9" on the skate,   If I measure around my ball of the foot it is 10.25"    It feels a little tight first few minutes I wear them. after some skating it goes away,... 

I tried a more proper fitted boot before, but then my foot was floting from side to side, atleast that problem stopped now.