You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Editing Music for Skating  (Read 7524 times)

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
Re: Editing Music for Skating
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
This comes from one of the Ontario Sections of Skate Canada, and I've had similar language from other Sections:

1. General
i) Each compact disc shall be a standard CD-R compact disc and enclosed in a single transparent plastic CD case. (DO NOT
use CD-RW)
ii) Music on CD must be in CD Audio format (cda file). (NOT mp3; .acc or DVD)
iii) For quality it is recommended to burn only music files that are in wav format.

Be careful of using various formats.  Some players may not play them; I've had little girls in tears at comps because their coaches used a file that wouldn't play on the equipment provided.  Don't use a label: this can jam in some players.  Write on the CD with a CD marker, or use lightscribe technology.

Some comps specify all of the above parameters ... for a reason ... plus, of course, the critical back-up disc. Because music equipment can be random in quality, going for the most "safe" option is important.
Correct.  MP3 is a lossy format, so you don't want to save any of your music in that format.  I mean, you can copy the wav file out and transcode the copy to MP3 if you want to email it to someone or something (extra step to make sure you don't mistakenly replace it :P), but there is a loss in quality between burning WAV and MP3 files.  WAV is better.

WAV is to Music what AVI is to video and BMP is to images.  The files are huge, but the quality is carbon copy.

Now, the fact that you can hardly find the music you want in AVI format is a different discussion :P