You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Harlick to Riedell?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline shariskate

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 89
Harlick to Riedell?
« on: October 10, 2013, 07:41:40 PM »
Hello there....adult skater here of many years.  Took about ten off to have children and am not getting back into skating about 4 times a week.  My current level is Adult Silver....I do single jumps, and hope to get back to working on an axle in the near future.  I've always used Harlick (stock) Finalists.  It's a pretty stiff boot.  My only real complaints with it has been the tongue twisting and some bruising of the leg, but a Bunga pad seems to take care of that.  I lace very tight, so it could be my own fault, not the boots.  Maybe the added thickness of the Bunga pad cause the tongue to not fit properly and twist too?  But that's not why I am writing...

For the first time in about 13 years I am deciding on a new boot.  Stay with the Harlick because it's what I am used to?  Or try the Riedell 2010LS that he had me try on, which felt like a slipper.  He can't get my actual size in that for another 3 weeks, but it sure felt comfy.  13 years ago I wouldn't have even tried a Riedell on.  They had a reputation of being a recreational skate, but they seem to be everywhere now. 

Has anybody gone from a very stiff Harlick boot to the Riedell?  How is the adjustment.  I notice the back is much lower than the Harlick too, wonder if that would be hard to get used to....I love that the Riedell has the tongue hook and it doesn't seem like it would go anywhere.  I've also read a few places that the Riedell's break down quickly though.

so looking for any advice....stay with the tried and true and add a tongue hook, or try something new and comfy?

Shari

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Harlick to Riedell?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:01:32 PM »
I'd go with what is feeling comfortable.  Since you have experience with boots, you will know how they are supposed to feel.

I am at your level and went from Riedells 875 to Harlicks Competitor Plus stiffness customs. I had Riedells for 4 months and it was  a nightmare boot, even though it felt very comfortable and easy to break in.  The last is very different and they felt long with a lot of room in the toes.  Harlicks fit like a glove.    After over a year of use, they are still great and not even a hint of creasing.  I got the tongue hook and it helps with keeping the tongue in place.  I think there is going to be some twisting anyway, due to the asymmetry of the ankle.

Offline shariskate

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 89
Re: Harlick to Riedell?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
I did decide to go with the same Harlick boot.  Yes, they do fit like a glove, and that is what I love about them.  So you helped me decide :)
He tried to talk me into the High Tester which is one boot stiffness down.....he said as we age (I'm 44, boy that made me feel old), our skin becomes thinner and may not be able to stand up to the task of breaking in such a stiff pair of boots.  But I didn't want to sacrifice any support that I was already used to.....
Friday night I had the boots heat molded and punched out.  Blade mounted and waterproofed this weekend (got a new blade too!), so i pick them up tomorrow and begin my 30 hours of breaking them in before a permanent blade mount......