You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Something more classy for lessons?  (Read 3907 times)

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
Something more classy for lessons?
« on: September 02, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
I thought of reviving last season's thread re: practice wear, but the figured this is different.

I'm searching for ideas in what to wear to lessons that will: look good on an extremely slender tall guy, have enough stretch and movement for skating, and be warm enough without sweating.
I usually wear a light fleece vest which often comes off as I warm up, but some rinks just BITE when the weather gets cold. For now let's pretend I'm skating in a normal arena. I'm 6 ft tall, 142 lbs. 37 chest, 31 waist, 37 hips, 34 inseam, really long arms...
When I see videos of myself I think "gad, everything is baggy and shapeless". You can't buy normal clothes that are fitted in a taller size, everything is pretty much "potato sack" cut, they haven't yet invented darts for menswear I guess.
I really like black. Ideas? Photos? Links?  Any help appreciated.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Something more classy for lessons?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:23 PM »
Well, I've been skating lately with a male skater (6' 2", unknown weight, but slim, former male ballerina) and he skates in fitted running tights. Of course you'd probably have to wear a dance belt with that to keep from shocking the mothers.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:45:13 PM »
Ask around the local rink? moms with skating sons sometimes sew their skating pants.
Or bring a pair of sample skating pants to a local seamstress?

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:15:21 PM »
Most of the guys I know from skating get their gear at Lululemon.  Love their clothing.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »
http://shoprainbo.com/mondor-mens-skating-pants.html

Works well for me... I am more normal sized, and never get cold.  Also, as a scientist, I am no arbiter of "classy"

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:29 PM »
Well, I've been skating lately with a male skater (6' 2", unknown weight, but slim, former male ballerina) and he skates in fitted running tights. Of course you'd probably have to wear a dance belt with that to keep from shocking the mothers.

If you don't want to go all the way to a dance belt, compression shorts work too.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
The male skaters I know use running wear.  New Balance seems popular from the logos I see - but that could just be because they have a local factory outlet.  Other than that, I've seen some use older competition pants with any trim removed.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
Okay people, thanks for the ideas. I've ordered a pair of the Mondor mens pants. My only concern is nobody stocks them, so hopefully the online sizes correspond to reality. Called Rainbo and their size chart says I need a small acording to weight and an XL according to height. I went with medium... :-\  Now if only they sold nice jackets for men.....

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 12:39:35 PM »
Well, the Mondor pants arrived and they seem to fit well and are comfortable to skate in. Now if only I could scrounge up a nice light fitted jacket.... :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 01:18:17 PM »
Try the Champion section at Target.  They have a nice variety of hoodless, fitted jackets.

I just wish Champion would bring back the old fleece pants they made about five years ago.  They were medium-weight with elastic hems and double-piping down the legs.  Very stylish.  I have two pairs left and they are so much nicer than anything else I've seen for coaching.  I need something a little heavier and loose-fitting than leggings, with a bit of fitting to keep them looking nice.  Mine are on their last wearings and I haven't found a substitute.  The sweats are either too short or too baggy, the lycra-enhanced ones are too clingy, and the thin leggings are too cold.  (Just call me Goldilocks)  I've taken to wearing stretch chinos for non-freestyle/moves lessons, just to feel a little dressed up.  I save the fleece pants for the other lesson days.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Elsa

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 4
  • skating CW in a CCW world
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 06:26:07 AM »
Well, the Mondor pants arrived and they seem to fit well and are comfortable to skate in. Now if only I could scrounge up a nice light fitted jacket.... :)

Could you take some of your loose fitting jackets in to a tailor/seamstress? I have a lot of my things taken in/taken up by a seamstress at my dry cleaner, and she's quite reasonably priced.  I rarely get a good fit off the rack, and it's so nice to finally have clothes that fit correctly.

Offline ONskater74

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
Thanks Elsa,
I really don't have any light jackets suitable, other than old work coats. Outerwear for men is not fitted at all it seems. Everything has about a foot of ease, and they hang like potato sacks. I'm tall so my torso is long, and narrow in the shoulders. baggy and shapeless seems to be perenially "in" so manufacturers don't even attempt to make a garment that fits closely. Also jackets seem to have a dozen pockets here and there which make it hard to just alter easily. That and serged seams...
Big and Boxy, that describes men's fashion design ad nauseum. It must be what women prefer men to look like, or they would stop buying it for their man....

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
Have you tried a running jacket? They seem to be more fitted. There are a couple of young guy skaters at my new rink. They wear a more fitted fleece or nylon/Lycra style jacket similar to some of these http://www.rei.com/search?search=Running+Jackets&origin=MSN_Apparel&cat=4500008&hist=search%2CRunning+Jackets%5Ecat%2C4500008%3AMen%27s&version=V8

Kind of pricey, but you may be able to find cheaper versions at your local running or athletic store.