You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bronze-Level Program Length  (Read 8767 times)

Offline sk8lady

• Silver Streak
  • On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 102
  • I'm sideways!
Re: Bronze-Level Program Length
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
Just remember that the music player wherever you are competing may run at a slightly different speed than the one you are used to. If your time limit is 1:40 and you cut to exactly 1:50, you're not allowing for this variation and you may run over. I never run music that runs over more than a few seconds in case this is an issue.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
Just to clarify, the time limit for the Adult Bronze competition program is 1:50, not 1:40 +/1 10 seconds.  There is no minimum time limit.  The Bronze max time used to be 1:40, but a lot of skaters felt rushed, so the time limit was changed to 1:50 last year.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2013, 12:43:16 AM »
Just to clarify, the time limit for the Adult Bronze competition program is 1:50, not 1:40 +/1 10 seconds.  There is no minimum time limit.  The Bronze max time used to be 1:40, but a lot of skaters felt rushed, so the time limit was changed to 1:50 last year.

Bumping up this useful thread. I am using the bronze FS test program music for silver, and don't feel the need to cut it longer - everything fits in there. The rulebook says Duration: Ladies and Men — Not to exceed 2:10 to music of the skater’s choice.  There is no minimum duration requirement, so 1:46 should work just fine, right? :D

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
Bumping up this useful thread. I am using the bronze FS test program music for silver, and don't feel the need to cut it longer - everything fits in there. The rulebook says Duration: Ladies and Men — Not to exceed 2:10 to music of the skater’s choice.  There is no minimum duration requirement, so 1:46 should work just fine, right? :D

I noticed in competition (being the timekeeper) that most bronze programs were about 1.46 (so you can finish late for the music but still not get a time deduction). For silver that increased to about 2.05. Those extra 20secs are an awful lot of skating so you've got more time for longer transitions between elements (demonstrating your skating skills) and also can have a longer step sequence (ie more curvy / more turns). And it also gives longer for combination spins.

However, I think the requirements for a good competition program versus a good test program are such that you can probably get away with the shorter music for testing purposes.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 09:30:07 PM »
I noticed in competition (being the timekeeper) that most bronze programs were about 1.46 (so you can finish late for the music but still not get a time deduction). For silver that increased to about 2.05. Those extra 20secs are an awful lot of skating so you've got more time for longer transitions between elements (demonstrating your skating skills) and also can have a longer step sequence (ie more curvy / more turns). And it also gives longer for combination spins.

However, I think the requirements for a good competition program versus a good test program are such that you can probably get away with the shorter music for testing purposes.

My silver program is 2:09 - for testing, I had enough extra time to do two combination spins (in case I bombed one of them!). For competition, I have 3/4 ice spirals, 3/4 ice footwork, 5 jumps (one 3-jump and one 2-jump) and two spins (one plain position, one combo with 5). I have enough time for all of that but not extra. I think you'd probably be fine for the test (unless you want an extra spin) but you might want it longer if you plan to compete - so you don't feel rushed!

Offline Nate

• BladeLock
  • Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 22
  • #AdultSkate
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 04:54:28 AM »
Of course, I'm not trying to skirt the rules. I'm just having problems with music cutting. A lady has done it for me, and I told her I needed a 1:40 piece. So she stopped the music right in the middle of a phrase, and it sounds absolutely ridiculous, unnatural. And it only lasts 1:37. So now that I know that 1:50 are allowed, I'm trying to cut the piece myself. So now I have 1:51, but that's what the computer says. I don't think it's more than 1:50.
Send me the music you have so far and I'll see if I can help you.  I'm well versed in Adobe Audition.  I can buy the track myself if necessary, but I need to know how you cut it so I can get an idea of what you were shooting for...

Also, this is the main problem with the -10 but no +10 seconds that some people seem to not have thought of.  Think of the people who have to cut the music!