You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: How to Ice Monitor?!  (Read 2516 times)

Offline momomizu

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 9
  • Cosplay
How to Ice Monitor?!
« on: June 09, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
So, I've been the ice monitor for the past 3 weeks at my rink. I check in the skaters with their barcode number, then checck them off on a list when they get on the ice. I play their music while keeping Pros from bumping skaters more than once.(the rule is that a skater can be bumped by any Pro one time only in any session. The line should go "lesson, skater, lesson, skater....etc. It gets complicated when there are more lesson skaters than single skaters. :/) My problem is that the music area is a MESS. No-name CDs, blank CDs, old CDs, one person having 10 CD cases without CDs IN them(fact!), broken cases everywhere, people can't find their music and so on. Then when I decided to make a file box to put the CDs in to try and get some semblance of organization, my super said no reasoning that it never works. Well, I'm there to MAKE it work! What do I do? What can I do to make it better?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: How to Ice Monitor?!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:49:03 PM »
My problem is that the music area is a MESS. No-name CDs, blank CDs, old CDs, one person having 10 CD cases without CDs IN them(fact!), broken cases everywhere, people can't find their music and so on. Then when I decided to make a file box to put the CDs in to try and get some semblance of organization, my super said no reasoning that it never works. Well, I'm there to MAKE it work! What do I do? What can I do to make it better?

Rink music is great but I doubt many rinks have the incentive and budget to install it.

The way it works at our rink, at least in theory, skaters MUST put their music CD in a "to play" basket before session starts, ice monitor plays music and leaves CDs in a "return" basket for the skaters to pick up. I would consider lots of the things you describe as abandoned. Gather them in a box, put out a note, and throw them away if unclaimed in a week or so.  :angel:

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »
The club I skate at loads all of the music onto a lap top and plays it that way for regulars.  I'm not sure how they keep it organized - they seem to only have a couple problems when programs change over at certain points in the year - but it's usually up to date and seems to work well.  At the bigger club in the city, you have to take your music with you when you leave the session.  Probably so it won't get all messed up.

When I was a kid, we had a white board system with 'pro' and 'skater' categories and you just put your name under skater or your coach put your name under pro if you were in a lesson.  I'm not quite sure on the bumping rule but I don't think it was quite so complicated as you described.  Probably didn't keep track of who was doing the bumping, just who was bumped if that makes sense so that they didn't get bumped like fifteen times.

I've also seen a list system where coaches can bump the list if they're giving a lesson but outside of coaches requests, skaters music gets played in rotation unless they wave it off.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
Sounds like you are already a superior monitor.

At my rink, the thing to know is that the music is much louder in the control room than on the ice, and you must speak very loudly and clearly when using the microphone.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
If you're thinking about buying something to organize the CDs, like a case, go to a thrift store.  Best prices.

Good work.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Kitten23

• Future Adult National Champion
  • Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:21:12 AM »
I've been an ice monitor for three reluctant years.  Here's how we do it:

You sign up with the monitor at the beginning of the session.  The monitor signs you up because some coaches will sign up a skater four or five times using variations of the skaters name.  Ex:  Cassandra: Cassie, Cass, Sandi, Sandra, CJ Lastname, etc.  Sneaky, eh?

When I play the music, if I'm handed a cd with no name, I hand it back immediately and say "I can't play this.  Find a sharpie and get back to me.  I'll hold your spot."  I call out the name twice.  No response, I go on.  Since I also skate the session, waiting around wastes my time and my time is valuable.

Once your program is played, your name is crossed off.  If you skipped and want it played later, after everyone goes once, you go.  However, your spot has been changed and you are now at the end of the list.

That's how I do it.  Good luck.  It's a thankless job.
Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes it's the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

http://competitiveadultfigureskater.blogspot.com/

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
I'd just refuse to accept CD's without names on them. . .

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
I'd just refuse to accept CD's without names on them. . .
Or put a marker in the box and have them write their name before you'll accept it.

There's really no good reason why this can't be organized if you're not trying to skate during the same session.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
And put up a sign that says "No Whining".

My rink doesn't have problems because the coaches won't tolerate whining, hogging, etc over the music.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »
It already sounds better than my rink's system. CDs are lined up along the board near the music box. After the skater does her program, she or her coach is supposed to play the next skater's CD. She takes back her CD and puts it at the end of the line (if she wants to skate it again) or to her stuff.

We don't have a mic so you have to watch for your turn or remember who skate you after. This can be a problem before a competition, because coaches are allowed to bump.  Lesson, lesson, skater, lesson, lesson, skater. They lose track and just keep bumping.