You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What half jumps are there?  (Read 5216 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
What half jumps are there?
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
Just curious. I tried googling around and couldn't find anything specific. I know they exist but I'm interested in them and if I want to look at them on youTube I need the names.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: What half jumps are there?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
half-loop (technically a full rotation but lands on inside edge of other foot), but you can do half of a loop, and land facing forward.
half-flip
half-lutz
Ballet jump
Mazurka
Falling Leaf
waltz jump
A bell jump is a single rotation axel, so not really a 'half' jump, but smaller than the 'normal' one.

Those are the only ones I know.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »
side toe hop (called a toe tap in the ISI program, I think)
half walley

on the side toe hop, Isk8NYC wrote:  Side toe hops are really sideways jumps that have almost no rotation, but technically they are half-rotation jumps.

Interestingly, I found Isk8NYC's comments on a yahoo.com Q&A area about figure skating, and they had copied her explanation straight from skatingforums.com.  Her explanation turned out to be part of a very nice thread on half jumps, with a bunch of videos:  http://skatingforums.com/index.php/topic,425.0.html  (Unfortunately, the yahoo text links to the old skatingforums.com, so the link prompts one to log in and fails in doing so.)

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »
There are eight potential takeoff edges.  For each takeoff edge, there are four potential landing edges (since you have to be going the opposite direction.  That gives 32 jumps as defined by edge.

Jumps can rotate two directions.  That gives 64 jumps.

Jumps that take off backwards can have a toe assist on the takeoff, the landing, or both.  I suppose you could allow toe assists for jumps that take off forward, but that would be weird.  That gives 128 jumps.

One can't enumerate all the air positions, so those should not be used to identify jumps (such as split half flip).

If you don't want to count mirror image jumps, divide by two.  If you could do mirror image jumps, you'd want them counted.

My current favorite half jump is Davis and White's right back inside counter jump into twizzles.

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 06:47:35 PM »
half-loop (technically a full rotation but lands on inside edge of other foot), but you can do half of a loop, and land facing forward.
half-flip
half-lutz
Ballet jump
Mazurka
Falling Leaf
waltz jump
A bell jump is a single rotation axel, so not really a 'half' jump, but smaller than the 'normal' one.

Those are the only ones I know.

Yes, generally speaking, a "half" jump is any standard jump takeoff that is just 1/2 turn in the air and lands forward on the right toepick instead of the right back outside edge (assuming CCW jumper). 

The exceptions:

Half loop - a misnomer referring to a full loop jump landed on the LBI edge instead of RBO edge.  This counts as a single loop under IJS. 

Waltz jump - Since you are taking off forward and doing 1/2 revolution, you land backward on the RBO edge.

Half axel (also called a bell jump) - Actually a full revolution, since you take off forward and land forward on the right toe.  But it's 1/2 revolution less than a single axel.

A half jump by any other name:

Falling leaf - This is what SHOULD be called a half loop, since it's the loop jump takeoff, and landed forward on the right toe.

Mazurka - Technically, this is a half toe loop, since it takes off like a toe loop and lands forward on the right toe instead of going all the way around.

Split jump - typically done from a flip entrance, making it a half flip with a split position in the air.  It can also be done from a lutz entrance, making it a half lutz with a split.  A split jump done from a loop takeoff is called a split falling leaf.

Never seen:
Half salchow.  Never seen one!  Sounds extremely awkward. . .

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
There are eight potential takeoff edges.  For each takeoff edge, there are four potential landing edges (since you have to be going the opposite direction.  That gives 32 jumps as defined by edge.

Jumps can rotate two directions.  That gives 64 jumps.

Jumps that take off backwards can have a toe assist on the takeoff, the landing, or both.  I suppose you could allow toe assists for jumps that take off forward, but that would be weird.  That gives 128 jumps.

One can't enumerate all the air positions, so those should not be used to identify jumps (such as split half flip).

If you don't want to count mirror image jumps, divide by two.  If you could do mirror image jumps, you'd want them counted.

Interesting numbers, but you have to go a bit further with your creative statistics.  There's a difference between statistical permutations and combinations.  A Lutz becomes a Toe Loop simply by reversing the rotational direction, ie. turning CW instead of CCW, a Walley becomes a Salchow, a Flip becomes a Toe Walley, and vice versa.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:26:01 PM »
I don't really count jumped turns as half jumps...

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:07 PM »
A Lutz becomes a Toe Loop simply by reversing the rotational direction

A clockwise lutz is lbo! -> rbo
A counterclockwise toeloop is lbo! -> lbo

With the method I was using, I count those as different jumps because they have different landings.  Since IJS doesn't count half jumps I'm not using the IJS rule that the landing does not matter.  "Half toe loop" as far as I know could have any kind of forward landing, so it might be several different jumps.

There are no permutations involved.  If you did a permutation, then the landing would be before the takeoff.

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
I don't really count jumped turns as half jumps...

All jumps that rotate are jumped turns.  For example, I saw a video once of Tuktamysheva performing a 3 revolution back outside twizzle with a lutz entry to warm up for her triple lutz.  Exactly the same technique.

waltz = drop FO 3
loop, flip, lutz = bo twizzle
salchow = step down to BO twizzle
axel = waltz+loop

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 04:27:33 AM »
I have an old skating book which has drawn up a  table of all the possible jumps. It lists starting edge and landing edge and differentiates between turning with rotational direction and counter rotational but basically lists all turns and gives the names for the different jumps.
It would therefore list a waltz jump as a jumped outside three turn with a change of foot and there would also be another entry for a jumped outside three turn.
Basically any turn you do on the ice you can jump. And once airborne you can do any numbers of revolutions from half upwards.