You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Insoles and Pronation?  (Read 7787 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Insoles and Pronation?
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
What kind of insoles help/resolve pronation? Im thinking of getting yellow superfeet. Do you think they would be worth the money?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Insoles and Pronation?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:21:49 PM »
What kind of insoles help/resolve pronation? Im thinking of getting yellow superfeet. Do you think they would be worth the money?

Sorry to blog roll, but here was my solution, and I did use yellow superfeet.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2012/03/pronation-nation-inside-boot.html

You may find strengthening the foot and ankle useful to. It helped me.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2012/03/footcersize.html
I now skate with only a tiny tweak in my right boot, and with my blades straight down the middle
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »
Sorry to blog roll, but here was my solution, and I did use yellow superfeet.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2012/03/pronation-nation-inside-boot.html

You may find strengthening the foot and ankle useful to. It helped me.
http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2012/03/footcersize.html
I now skate with only a tiny tweak in my right boot, and with my blades straight down the middle

So did superfeet really help you? And on one of my skates, I think the blades are misaligned. Should I get these checked out? Going to rainbo tomorrow.

love your blog btw :love:

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 09:47:58 PM »
I've never had a problem with misaligned blades. I think I'll leave that discussion to others who have more experience in that area. I think we recently had a thread covering that area. Try searching for "misaligned blades"

I found the superfeet were the only insoles that let me put in-boot adjustments in. They're very sturdy.

Thanks for the compliment.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
Wait! So did superfeet help you? And whats blade shimming?  ;D

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
Wait! So did superfeet help you? And whats blade shimming?  ;D

Sorry, I edited my previous post while you were typing. I liked the superfeet, but in and of themselves I don't think they helped my pronation. I started with some in-boot adjustments, then backed off. I only have one boot with an adjustment now.

As for  blade shimming, that's where your technician puts a piece of leather or a thin metal washer between the boot and the blade. If you pronate, the shim goes on the outside edge.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »
Sorry, I edited my previous post while you were typing. I liked the superfeet, but in and of themselves I don't think they helped my pronation. I started with some in-boot adjustments, then backed off. I only have one boot with an adjustment now.

As for  blade shimming, that's where your technician puts a piece of leather or a thin metal washer between the boot and the blade. If you pronate, the shim goes on the outside edge.

Was there a difference when you had superfeet compared to the insoles your skates come with?
So how would the blade shimming help you? Should I mention that to the technician at Rainbo Sports when I go?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 10:02:46 PM »

I pronate and with my previous pair of skates (Jackson Classique), the fitter at Rainbo got me both the yellow insoles and the shimming. When I got my current skates (Jackson Competitor), the yellow insoles carried over but the fitter did not have to do shimming. He did not explain why but it worked out.

A group coach once said stiffer boots help to fix pronation. Of course, too stiff boots are never a good idea. Folks at Rainbo are great, trust their expertise!

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:08:01 PM »
I pronate and with my previous pair of skates (Jackson Classique), the fitter at Rainbo got me both the yellow insoles and the shimming. When I got my current skates (Jackson Competitor), the yellow insoles carried over but the fitter did not have to do shimming. He did not explain why but it worked out.

A group coach once said stiffer boots help to fix pronation. Of course, too stiff boots are never a good idea. Folks at Rainbo are great, trust their expertise!

Going to Rainbo tomorrow. How much was the insoles plus the shimming? And would they be able to do that to a skate that has PVC outsole?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 10:24:13 PM »
Going to Rainbo tomorrow. How much was the insoles plus the shimming? And would they be able to do that to a skate that has PVC outsole?

Superfeet were $40 in the running store. Shimming's cost me $10 and $20 and time on ice to check them out. No idea what rainbo will charge; what it is, it is.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 01:25:13 AM »
Can't remember price of superfeet insoles, but rainbo did not charge me a penny for skates adjustments because I bought the skates from them.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:59:12 AM »
I have right-side pronation because of past injury. What I do is set my right blade to the inside instead of right in the center. Makes a huge difference. You just need to make sure the blade setter keeps it exactly parallel to center.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »
But my question is, Will they be able to do shimming to a skate that has a PVC outsole? Lets hope that they dont charge me too if I can get a shimming. They're the only skate shop I go to!

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
You should call them first.  Many pro shops refuse to adjust the blades on PVC-soled skates, but you've already heard that, since you're asking so insistently.

By the way, you have to make an appointment for adjustments.  Don't just walk in off the street.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
You should call them first.  Many pro shops refuse to adjust the blades on PVC-soled skates, but you've already heard that, since you're asking so insistently.

By the way, you have to make an appointment for adjustments.  Don't just walk in off the street.

Yes! I'll have to go there first and talk to them to see what we can do! Thanks!

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »
Update! Went to rainbo and Jodi adjusted my blades for free! Also bought superfeet! Can't wait to test it out on the ice!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:35 PM »
The one advantage I had of going to where I paid for blade adjustments was that they were located in a rink, and would make adjustments rinkside so I could test it and be observed. Sweet!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »
The one advantage I had of going to where I paid for blade adjustments was that they were located in a rink, and would make adjustments rinkside so I could test it and be observed. Sweet!

Envy envy envy. We don't have anything like that around here though.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »
Envy envy envy. We don't have anything like that around here though.

I found it amusing because my tech would make the change while I was still wearing the boot. He had me stand up at the boards (off-ice), then I would bend my knee and he would tweak the blade. This is the same stance a horse takes when you work on its feet. I neighed once just for laughs, but he'd never been around horses so I just looked stupid.

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »
I found it amusing because my tech would make the change while I was still wearing the boot. He had me stand up at the boards (off-ice), then I would bend my knee and he would tweak the blade. This is the same stance a horse takes when you work on its feet. I neighed once just for laughs, but he'd never been around horses so I just looked stupid.

;D  :)  :D