You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Blade Decisions  (Read 5516 times)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Blade Decisions
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:50:53 PM »
Hey guys!

So for my birthday, mom agreed to pay half of my new blades. She's known I've needed them for a while and has told me to get them. I've been set for months on getting Wilson Gold Seal Revolutions, but now that the time has come to actually order them I am scared to. Mostly because I'm scared that if I don't like them I will be out a lot of money. I still want them, but that is looming over my head. I'm afraid to take the plunge. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who owns them and haven't found many testimonials online.

My back up is to get gold seals. I'm currently skating in the Jackson equivalent of the gold seal (Legacy) but they're just not holding sharpenings like they used to and I've been looking to upgrade anyways. Mom asked why we didn't when we got my skates and I told her because the boots alone were pricey.

So I'm torn. Buy the ones I've wanted for months, or chicken out and get gold seals? What are your thoughts?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Blade Decisions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »
The regular legacy?  That is comparable to John Wilson Coronation Ace and MK Professional (per Kinzie's Closet).  http://www.shop.kinziescloset.com/product.sc?categoryId=39&productId=392

The Supreme is comparable to Gold Star/Gold Seal.

I'd talk to your coach first.  :) 

Offline davincisop

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 11:40:45 PM »
I moved to a new city a few months ago and am still coach less unfortunately.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 11:50:36 PM »
My daughter has the Supreme and loves them.  It took her awhile to find the sport for spins but now has some  really nice spins.  She said things felt effortless that used to be harder.  But there was an almost 2 month learning curve.

I guess I'm saying she have never regretted a blade upgrade.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:16 PM »
I went from  Matrix Legacy (Coronation Ace equivalent) to Matrix Supreme ( Gold Seal equivalent).  It took me a while  to adjust to the new rocker, and my Legacy blades were almost new (so no flattened rocker issues).   I noticed that the Supreme rocker gave me more of a spring on jumps, especially waltz and toe loop and footwork seemed easier.  Spins were the longest to get back as the spin rocker is very different from Legacy, but they felt faster right away.
In my case, though, I was dealing with a different brand of boots and a different blade all at the same time, so I am not sure how the blades alone would feel.

Overall- I like the blades now, but  in the beginning I was worried if I had made a mistake.  I sharpen them about the same as the Legacy, though the Supremes are supposed to have a more hardened edge.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
"but they felt faster right away" yes, that is what she experienced too.  So it was all a little out of control in the beginning.  Biggest overall improvement were any "inside edge" spins.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
Honestly, I don't think you really need the revolution at your level (and I mean that with no disrespect at all - we're at about the same level so that applies to me too), but I know it's your choice.. I just don't see that there's any benefit to spending $150 more over the normal gold seal (as far as I know the blades are still the same carbon steel, the only difference is the carbon fiber runner).  I do think upgrading from your legacy bladess is a completely reasonable decision though, but I think it should still be a somewhat practical decision in terms of benefits of the blades and not just because the revolutions are "cool" :)

Current prices from Kinzie's Closet:

Matrix Legacy (would hold a sharpening longer than the non-matrix blades) $239

Ultima Supreme $249; Matrix Supreme $390

Wilson Gold Seal $523

Wilson Gold Seal Revolution $673

And to add another in the mix the Paramount 440 Gold Seal profile are exactly $500 after coupon (P440GSPH)

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
Honestly, I don't think you really need the revolution at your level (and I mean that with no disrespect at all - we're at about the same level so that applies to me too), but I know it's your choice.. I just don't see that there's any benefit to spending $150 more over the normal gold seal (as far as I know the blades are still the same carbon steel, the only difference is the carbon fiber runner).  I do think upgrading from your legacy bladess is a completely reasonable decision though, but I think it should still be a somewhat practical decision in terms of benefits of the blades and not just because the revolutions are "cool" :)

Current prices from Kinzie's Closet:

Matrix Legacy (would hold a sharpening longer than the non-matrix blades) $239

Ultima Supreme $249; Matrix Supreme $390

Wilson Gold Seal $523

Wilson Gold Seal Revolution $673

And to add another in the mix the Paramount 440 Gold Seal profile are exactly $500 after coupon (P440GSPH)

Just to throw another option into the mix - the Eclipse Pinnacle is a Gold Seal profile and $380. I skate on Wilson Gold Seals, got a deal on them and needed blades right before the Pinnacle came out - however next time I need them I will try this because the price is so good. A handful of skaters at our rink use the Eclipse Infinity and really love them. I switched from MK Pros to Gold Seals (new boots and blades) and the biggest thing was spins - took me a month to feel comfortable on the rocker.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »
The rocker on the gold seals is really, really different.  It WILL take time to get used to.  And quite frankly, it's a lot of blade.  I know I switched from a very old flatted blade of a completely different profile, but wow.  I felt like a newborn giraffe the first time on the ice with them!

I'm happy now I made the switch, but a LOT of a adjustment was necessary - especially on spins, as everyone else has said!

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
I went from pattern 99 to gold seal. I hated the gold seal at first and took me forever to learn how to properly use them. Now I love them and looking to sell my pattern 99. I wouldn't waste the money on the revolution ones. I think they are a gimmick to be honest.

Offline tookyclothespin

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 08:03:24 PM »
Just to throw another option into the mix - the Eclipse Pinnacle is a Gold Seal profile and $380. I skate on Wilson Gold Seals, got a deal on them and needed blades right before the Pinnacle came out - however next time I need them I will try this because the price is so good. A handful of skaters at our rink use the Eclipse Infinity and really love them. I switched from MK Pros to Gold Seals (new boots and blades) and the biggest thing was spins - took me a month to feel comfortable on the rocker.

I just got the Eclipse Pinnacle blades a week and a half ago and they are awesome!  I upgraded from MK Vision and I can tell a huge difference.  Spinning does feel different on the 8' rocker as opposed to 7', but not in a bad way, it actually feels easier, at least on this blade...the way I described it to my friends was that it feels like I am spinning on butter instead of ice, it just feels like there is less resistance.  There wasn't really a learning curve period for me, it just felt like a natural switch and all of my spinning skills easily transferred.  My sit spin and back scratch feel the best.  Sit spin especially feels way faster!  I love it.  Moves/footwork also feel better, like the edges grip the ice better than my MKs did and it's not just because they are freshly sharpened.

I was going to get the Eclipse Infinity because I didn't think I really needed the Pinnacle but through my pro shop they were a little cheaper than the list price and because of that it was only a $30 increase for the Pinnacle over the Infinity.  My coach recommended the Pinnacle for toe jumps so I went ahead with it and I'm glad I did.  I really do like the toe pick, it has a lot more grip for toe jumps than my old MKs.

Overall, I'm really satisfied and I think it was a great choice.  I was skeptical to change brands after a really long time with MK, but knowing several other skaters with Eclipse blades helped me feel confident about the decision, and I'm not looking back!

Offline tookyclothespin

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
p.s. I did not mean to sound insensitive AT ALL to anyone who has had a longer adjustment period for switching blades!  I just wanted to clarify that.  I'm sure it depends on a ton of factors so one shouldn't count on either a fast adjustment period nor a slow one, because you never know.  I honestly thought it would take me a long time to get used to having new blades (and boots--the boot adjustment has been harder on me) because I had my old ones 14 years and I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to skate in anything else when I placed the order for the new ones.  If you're reading and your situation is similar, yes, skating skills DO transfer to new skates, don't be afraid! ha.

Offline davincisop

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »
I had a two session adjustment from my majestics to legacies. 7 ft to 8ft rocker. I think adjustment periods are different for everyone. I ended up ordering gold seals and they will be here next Tuesday and I'm really excited. I'm expecting an adjustment period but I'm going to use that time to home in on bettering my MITF. :)

I can also use that adjustment time to get my guy friend back out on the ice. ;)