You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Figure skates for plus size beginner female skater  (Read 14928 times)

Offline Lindy31

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Figure skates for plus size beginner female skater
« on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:19 PM »
Hi everyone!

I am a 31 year old adult bitten by the skating bug.  I am currently working on the basic 5 level and I am ready to invest in some "Big girl" skates-literally.  I am 5'8" and weigh 275.  I have been using rentals but they just aren't consistent enough at my rink.  I know I'm going to continue with skating and I'm sure I would progress faster with the right skates.

I've slowly started to lose weight since I started skating but I know I'm going to have get a stiffer boot than someone of average weight.  My local pro shop only stocks Riedells and even the wide width is painful.  They are willing to special order skates but I don't have a clue where to start.  I don't want to spend more than $500.00 for the boots and blades.

I wear a size 11w street shoe and appreciate any advice you can offer.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
Re: Figure skates for plus size beginner female skater
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »
You may find that Jackson's tend to run wider (have a squarer toe box) and have more space in their C width. I can't wear Riedell's in the same size I wear Jackson boots. I had Riedell's, broke them in and was still in terrible pain - I couldn't stay on the ice without arch cramps for more than 10 minutes at a time. I tried everything and it didn't work. Another adult skater with a wide-ish foot suggested Jackson's to me and I'm so glad she did! I was giving up hope... Now I can skate until my legs give out but an hour on the ice with no foot cramps is heaven.

Whatever you choose, make sure there really is enough (not extra but enough) room for your foot. I went through three different pair of boots before landing, metaphorically, in my Jacksons. The various fitters (all of them experienced) did not fit my adult foot (on a body which needs to be lighter admittedly) properly - fitted them like they were fitting a skinny 11 year old. It's not the same.

Once you get bitten by the skating bug...well, you obviously know. Good for you!!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:24 PM »
The best option, of course, would be for you to try on a few different brands and sizes before you invest hundreds of dollars in something that might hurt your feet.  That depends on your location, and how able you are to travel to a shop that has a lot of boots in stock (sadly, these places are becoming more and more rare).  Where do you live?

Also, many areas don't have pro shops but do have coaches who are also fitters (though some only sell a certain brand).  Ask at your rink (your LTS teacher, or a coach) if someone locally does fittings.  If you have to special order, better to do so through a dealer!

Offline Lindy31

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »
Thanks for the response!  There is another pro shop about an hour and a half away from me, they don't stock skates in my size and when I asked about special ordering skates wanted me to pay full price plus shipping in advance.  My local shop will special order anything I want to try on and I only have to pay the shipping, my only problem is I'm not sure what to tell them to order!

I've asked around and couldn't find anyone NOT wearing Riedells.  I'm sure there are some but they aren't hanging out with the LTS crowd. 

I don't want to over buy but I don't want something that's going to break down in 6 months.  I'm hoping this pair will last through basic 8.  And of course hoping I'll be significantly thinner by then.

Is there a specific Jackson model I should start my search with?  I looked at their website but I don't understand their support levels.

Oh, and I live in Ohio.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
Does the rink have an experienced fitter- that would be the best in terms of figuring out what support level boot you would need.
 You will need to be carefully measured- and you can't do it yourself. 

Some things to consider: Are your rentals soft?  If so, how do they feel on the ice?  Can you get a good knee bend in them?  Are you doing any jumps yet? If the rentals feel good, I would perhaps get a boot that is slightly stiffer in Jackson.   You can call Jackson and ask them what  their support level is comparable to as far as the rentals go.  There are only a few boot makers that make  rental skates and I would think the stiffness would be similar across brands.

If the boots are too soft- then get 2 levels above.  You really do not want to overboot (get a much stiffer boot than you need) at this point- it will significantly hamper your progress. 

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
Thanks for the response!  There is another pro shop about an hour and a half away from me, they don't stock skates in my size and when I asked about special ordering skates wanted me to pay full price plus shipping in advance.  My local shop will special order anything I want to try on and I only have to pay the shipping, my only problem is I'm not sure what to tell them to order!

I've asked around and couldn't find anyone NOT wearing Riedells.  I'm sure there are some but they aren't hanging out with the LTS crowd. 

I don't want to over buy but I don't want something that's going to break down in 6 months.  I'm hoping this pair will last through basic 8.  And of course hoping I'll be significantly thinner by then.

Is there a specific Jackson model I should start my search with?  I looked at their website but I don't understand their support levels.

Oh, and I live in Ohio.

Im a bit chubby, and I have jackson marquis (elle for women) skates, so far I've had no problems with them. It has alot of padding in the ankle area. Im surprised you have to pay for shipping when you wanna order skates from your pro shop. The place where I bought my skates and other skating stuff, you come for a fitting then they order the skates for you. Then they contact you when your skates arrive. If it doesnt fit you dont have to buy it, they'll order another pair for you. From what I've heard some skaters have gone through Freestyle 2 (ISI) with these skates.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
I don't have any experience with Jackson skates, but here is a size chart that may help you:

http://figureskates.discountskatewear.com/t-jackson-sizing.aspx

Edit: Don't order based on this chart, but this is a good place to start!

They also have sizing for other brands as well.

Adult skaters in general need stiffer boots than kids at a comparable level.  For some adults even the rec boots don't offer enough support, and I think that might be the case with you.  However, super stiff boots will only inhibit progress and lead to injuries.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help here.  :)

If you do need to order boots and blades separately, make sure NOT to over blade yourself!  Get something simple and inexpensive.  If your foot size never changes and you progress, you can always buy a new set of blades for more advanced skating.  However, if you do loose weight like you plan to, your foot size will likely change (either in length, width, or both), and you'll need a different set of blades anyway.

Used blades are also a great deal, but you need to know your boot size before you can buy the blades.  Some manufacturers are inconsistent with their sole sizes, so it's best to have the boots in hand first.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:49 PM »
In addition to being wider in the toes Jackson also tends to have a higher instep, so that may help if some of your width is actually volume.

If you can get very accurate measurements of your feet in terms of length and ball width I would contact Jackson directly and ask for their advice regarding sizing.. some models (like the Freestyle) may be available in other widths for a small fee, but you won't know unless you ask.. it may also be possible for a stiffer boot to be built softer.  Then work with your pro shop to get what you need, or consider traveling to other pro shops (it would even be worth driving a few hours and making it a day trip).  If you can fit a D width and don't need something wider, I'd suggest the Elle because it is available in a stock D width, however it may not be supportive enough for very long - it really depends on how you skate more than how much you weigh, but at about $200 with a blade it might be something to consider if you are willing to accept that those boots may need to be replaced sooner than expected - because in the long run that is better than spending more on boots that are too stiff, and you'd at least have some kind of benchmark to determine what stiffness to get with your next boots.

sk8great - the Elle is not the comparable model to the Marquis, that would be the Classique... the Elle is something different, it was designed to introduce higher level features (such as a leather sole, which makes replacing or re-positioning blades possible) in a lower level/stiffness boot.  I would suspect that for an adult it may not offer enough support beyond basic skills levels, but it might - it just depends on the skater and what they are working on in addition to how hard they push their equipment.

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »

sk8great - the Elle is not the comparable model to the Marquis, that would be the Classique... the Elle is something different, it was designed to introduce higher level features (such as a leather sole, which makes replacing or re-positioning blades possible) in a lower level/stiffness boot.  I would suspect that for an adult it may not offer enough support beyond basic skills levels, but it might - it just depends on the skater and what they are working on in addition to how hard they push their equipment.

Ohh! I thought they were the same since they both have Mirage blades. thanks LOL  ;D

Offline Lindy31

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:53:49 PM »
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for, thank you so much!  I'll try to respond to your comments in the order posted, sorry if this is a little choppy.  I'll see if I can get someone to help me measure my feet tomorrow so it's accurate and contact Jackson.  I have total Flinstone feet, wide and flat. 

My rink is 99% Riedell, I skate 3-4 days a week and I've not yet found someone wearing something other than Riedells.  I'm sure there are a couple but they're past LTS.  I've been looking into buying my own skates since the beginning of December, I've asked almost everyone there and they all recommend Riedell.

They have Riedell rentals too,  I ask for a mens 8.5 so they aren't too tight.  There are 1 or 2 decent pairs in my size but the quality of the edges varies dramatically from day to day.  I can't get a good knee bend in them, they're really stiff.  My feet aren't exactly comfortable but they aren't actually painful.  I'm not jumping, and I've been told I skate aggressively.  I'm hoping to be done with Basic 8 by the end of the year-I'd like my skates to last that long.

My local shop was pushing the Riedell Gold Star boots.  They hurt my feet like crazy and are over $500 dollars just for the boots!  That's where I got the $500 dollar figure from, I don't want to go higher than that!  I have not heard the term over blade, I can't imagine what they would have suggested to go with those boots  :-\ 

Thanks again for your help everyone!  I'll be sure to let you know how my search goes.

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
Eventually I am going to have to move up to a stiffer boot than my Jackson Elle but I must say that for six months they've been terrific. I give them another 9 months to a year. I'm over sixty and not the faster learner but really working on the details of good/strong stroking, lots of pump drills, working on edges, starting crossovers, turns, spins. So far the boots are just great - good enough fit and not so stiff that breaking in wasn't a death march and they have remained very comfortable without a lot of fussing around. I know that more experienced skaters need a stiffer boot and I may need a little step up in my next boot but the Jackson Elle has worked well as my entry level boot. And the price is right too.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:28:45 AM »
I'm a little taller than you and plus sized, too. I wear 9.5 or 9w street shoe. I am working on Silver Moves and free skate. I have all my jumps through the lutz, starting axel soon. I have Jackson Première boots with MK professional blades. I just bought both new (had the same combo on my old skates) for $550 incl. tax and new guards.

I had Reidells starting out.  I just many problems with them. I am a between a wide and a regular in Reidells so the fitter put me in wide. As they broke in, I had all kind of problems with my foot slipping around and always having to retie my laces.  Eventually the holes where the laces go, broke from me trying to get them tight enough.

I really like the toe box better in the Jackson. The Reidells always pinched my toes after awhile even having them punched out. Not sure what the boot is right below the Premiere...that might be a good option for you.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:52:13 AM »
The boot right under the Premiere is the competitor, which may be too stiff.  Under that is the Freestyle.

the Jackson Elle has worked well as my entry level boot. And the price is right too.

That is really good to hear.. they are still relatively new but I haven't seen many people even online talk about them much.

I firmly believe that it's better to buy too little (within reason) boot as a beginner and have to replace them when you know you need more, than to buy too much straight off and struggle... most of that has come from teaching LTS, and seeing kids in skates that are much too stiff because the pricing in low level riedells are a little weird and I think a lot of parents shop online and think they are getting a "better" skate by spending the $20-30 or so more to get the next model, not realizing that all they are doing is buying a stiffer boot that may not be appropriate for their child's level... I've seen a lot of kids in basic skills outgrow their skates at my rink before they ever break them in.  On the flip side I've also seen a lot of kids in skates (from big box stores) up into low freestyle levels and I can't believe they can actually skate in them.

All rental skates are actually in men's sizes, however when you were fitted you probably tried on ladies skates, which can tend to run narrower - did the shop have any men's boots in stock in your size you could try?  Sometimes the difference between a man's and woman's last can make a big difference, even if the numbers on the fitting chart aren't much different.  Men's boots can be special ordered from Riedell in white if wearing black is a concern.

The gold star boot is much much too much boot for you right now.  I would think you need to be looking at the 121RS or 133TS at the most for now (the 255TS may be another option as well, but it's more expensive and really aimed at low level freestyle).  The rough equivalents in the Jackson line are the Classique/Elle or the Freestyle.  Even at a maximum retail cost (not online discounts) you wouldn't be looking at anything much over $200, though if you need a special width or some other modification there is usually some fee associated with that.  When you start considering boot and blade options separately (as FigureSpins mentioned, like the Premiere + mid range freestyle blades) you will be into the $500 range, but that would be for everything, not just boots.   You will know when you really do need $500 boots, and it won't be because a pro shop is trying to sell them to you :)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:55 AM »
They have Riedell rentals too,  I ask for a mens 8.5 so they aren't too tight.  There are 1 or 2 decent pairs in my size but the quality of the edges varies dramatically from day to day.  I can't get a good knee bend in them, they're really stiff.  My feet aren't exactly comfortable but they aren't actually painful.
If some of the rental Riedells are difficult to bend your knees in I wouldn't buy too stiff a boot of whatever brand even if you are larger than the average skater. If you can't bend your knees in them then you'll struggle to learn things even if they last a little longer.

Another thing to bear in mind is your weight loss. If you loose a bit more weight over the next few months, then your skates may not continue to fit properly. I started skating at a similar weight and lost quite a bit of weight relatively quickly and my skates went from fitting well, to being much, much too wide, all within about 6 months. I had to get rid of lots of pairs of shoes too! You may find you need to replace your skates sooner than a year if they no longer fit well enough... even if they are not completely broken down.

Good luck! :D

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 06:27:18 PM »

Another thing to bear in mind is your weight loss. If you loose a bit more weight over the next few months, then your skates may not continue to fit properly. I started skating at a similar weight and lost quite a bit of weight relatively quickly and my skates went from fitting well, to being much, much too wide, all within about 6 months.You may find you need to replace your skates sooner than a year if they no longer fit well enough... even if they are not completely broken down.

I second this.  I went into Jackson Marquis after a couple of months of fighting rentals.  I wore them less than a year before my heels started slipping.  I hadn't lost much by the scale, but was definately changing fat to muscle.  It IS possible to have your feet get skinny too.  I also second getting a less stiff pair first.  I love my Jackson--I'm on my second pair of Competitors-the next pair will be Premier with a split last to accomodate my foot shape.

And, I started at 5" 4" and 200+.  I say + because I changed scales and didn't mark the difference from the first to the second.  I think it was about 35 pounds! And the second was comparable to the hospital scales.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Lindy31

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 07:32:21 PM »

Another thing to bear in mind is your weight loss. If you loose a bit more weight over the next few months, then your skates may not continue to fit properly. I started skating at a similar weight and lost quite a bit of weight relatively quickly and my skates went from fitting well, to being much, much too wide, all within about 6 months. I had to get rid of lots of pairs of shoes too! You may find you need to replace your skates sooner than a year if they no longer fit well enough... even if they are not completely broken down.

I firmly believe that it's better to buy too little (within reason) boot as a beginner and have to replace them when you know you need more, than to buy too much straight off and struggle...

...The gold star boot is much much too much boot for you right now.  I would think you need to be looking at the 121RS or 133TS at the most for now (the 255TS may be another option as well, but it's more expensive and really aimed at low level freestyle).  The rough equivalents in the Jackson line are the Classique/Elle or the Freestyle.  Even at a maximum retail cost (not online discounts) you wouldn't be looking at anything much over $200, though if you need a special width or some other modification there is usually some fee associated with that.  When you start considering boot and blade options separately (as FigureSpins mentioned, like the Premiere + mid range freestyle blades) you will be into the $500 range, but that would be for everything, not just boots.   You will know when you really do need $500 boots, and it won't be because a pro shop is trying to sell them to you :)

I spent the afternoon googling skate fitters *don't tell my boss*  and I found askmredge.com.  Has anyone dealt with him?  He will be a couple hours away from me next week, and he fits several different skate brands.  I thought it would be worth the trip to see what he recommends. 

I didn't know what level Gold Stars were recommended for until I got home and googled them, I just thought anything that was sold as separate boots and blades is too advanced for me.  Thanks for the confirmation.

I actually didn't think about my feet changing sizes, I've worn a size 11 shoe since middle school, it makes sense that they might lose width though.  If I have to buy new skates because I've lost weight in my feet that doesn't bother me as much as if I buy a too soft boot and they break down early because of my weight.

I went to weight watchers tonight, down another 3.1 pounds!!!  Some women diet to look good in a bathing suit, I want to skate in leggings! :-)

Offline Willowway

• Zamboni Driver
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 08:57:21 PM »
Lindy - the fact that he deals in several brands is good (no single brand loyalty) although none of them may be right for you. Just don't be afraid to say "that's not perfect" (you're entitled to as good a fit as you can find, within a reasonable price range); way too often skaters, especially us newer ones, say "yes" because someone else (a fitter) expects us to or they feel okay in the showroom.

Also, discuss trying a skate out and the procedure to return them if you don't like them, you're in extraordinary pain, etc. - you really don't know how any boot is going to work until you get on the ice with it.

And as sarah said above, don't overboot - overbooting is an evitable money-waster. Over-sizing or undersizing (in length or width) usually proves to be wasted money too.   Tomorrow will take care of itself when you get there and need another boot. For now look for a reasonably priced boot that yout think can get you through this transition year - you're learning and you're body is changing. So if something can get you to the next level well, then you've won the entry level boots sweapstakes! 

I hope you're taking someone with you to bounce ideas off - always a good idea.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
I think Mr. Edge would be worth the trip myself.. over the average pro shop fitter.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 10:48:07 PM »
I'm sending you a PM.  I have an idea.