You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: 2013 Skating Resolutions  (Read 16699 times)

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: 2013 Skating Resolutions
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »

2. find out if USFS has record of my prelim freestyle & figures tests from 30 years ago, or get them to "take my word for it" (I refuse to do them over again)

When I came back to skating after 20 years off I contacted USFS and they had records of my tests that were passed in the '60s - they have it all - it might take them a while to dig it out... but honestly no one has ever asked for any proof - I just started testing where I left off!

Good luck!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 06:43:27 PM »
USFSA has notoriously good record keeping IMO :)

You can email member services and they'll be happy to help you even if you are no longer an active member - your club's membership chair may be able to look you up - if you're already in there, of course.

Offline DrillingSkills

• Dreaming of Diamond Dances
  • Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
This is my first time setting New Year's skating resolutions, so let's see how this turns out in a year...

Definitely feasible:
1) Pass junior silver skills (if it weren't for all 8 loops I'd be a happier person!)
2) Pass my last senior bronze dance and at least 2 junior silver dances (probably Keats' Foxtrot and American Waltz).

Slightly ambitious:
1) Pass senior silver skills.
2) Pass the other 2 junior silver dances to complete the set.
3) Get my pre-injury freestyle skills back (singles up to Lutz with 2 jump combinations, basic spins, camel-sit-change-sit spin)

In my wildest dreams:
1) Pass gold skills (they're phasing these tests out, no date announced yet, and I'd hate to have my senior silver skills and then gold something else).
2) Start working on new/not previously successful freestyle skills (flying camel, layback, Axel, first doubles).

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »
USFSA has notoriously good record keeping IMO :)

You can email member services and they'll be happy to help you even if you are no longer an active member - your club's membership chair may be able to look you up - if you're already in there, of course.

The club contact person said there are no records from that long ago. A couple months ago I e-mailed USFSA member services and never got a response - I'll have to try it again.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
2012:

1. Take and pass Senior Moves on 1/14. No :( I am still working on them having failed in January and June
2. Compete at Empire State Games and land a clean axel. Kind of. I competed at Empires and landed the axel, but it is temperamental
3. Land double sal clean. i am still working on the clean part
4. When #3 is complete and consistent, test Intermediate Free.  I haven't even considered it
5. Start real work on 2 toe and 2 loop. I have started on 2 toe, not so much with 2 loop
6. Start dance when #1 is complete.  I know the Dutch waltz :)

1. Take Senior Moves again and finally pass them
2. Land double sal in competition
3. Keep working on double toe and land
4. Work on double loop
5. Test the first 6 dances

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »
I didn't make resolutions last year so let's see....

1) Skate more.  If they keep the schedule the same, I should be able to practice twice a week on a pretty empty public session.  I need to make it a priority though or it won't happen.

2) Skate a duet with my daughter in the spring show.  We'll see.  She is almost 14 and goes back and forth on this.  I think it would be fun to do though.  This is on the resolutions because we have very different views on music, moves, etc.

3)  Get a 1 foot spin down.

4) Learn either toe-loop or salchow. 

5) Back inside 3's

Offline KillianL

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 11:32:29 PM »
Ooh, fun!  I missed the 2012 planning.  I got married, my husband deployed, and I got BUSY.  which leads me to objective No 1! 

What are your skating goals and objectives for 2013? 
1) I hope to be more active on the forums in 2013.
2) I would like to increase comfort with turns and add non-essential content to programs for appeal.  I stopped skating shows, competitions, and such because I regarded my programs as uninteresting due to lack of extra content.  I feared extra content and always made my poor coach cut it out for me.  Now that my fear is less and my ability greater, I implored her to ignore my pleas to cut out extra content on my "bad" days.  She has packed my Open Silver FS full of it and I'm keeping up so far.  I need to only NOT chicken out right before competition!

What do you want to achieve or master? 
1) I want a solid lutz.  Every time.  In combos.  I know I can achieve this!
2) I need to master the fast back scratch exit, and make it attractive instead of coming to a near stop.  This is also doable.

Acquisitions of equipment, resources or materials?
1) My skates need to be replaced or refurbed.  I  trust NO ONE in my local area after a bad fitting two years ago set me back a major amount of dough for oversized semi-custom skates.  When my husband returns from OEF deployment, we're going to venture to Chicago and visit "the Yoda of skates", Skating Magazine's own Mr. Edge.  I asked about Edea and got a detailed email in response utilizing a lot of good logic as to why he DOESN'T fit them.  That bred a lot of trust.  And I already had plenty from reading his columns for years.  I'm excited! 
Off-ice training?  Testing, competing, demonstrating, coaching?

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 01:30:06 AM »
  I asked about Edea and got a detailed email in response utilizing a lot of good logic as to why he DOESN'T fit them.

Interesting... Seeing so many elite skaters in Edeas, I am surprised at his response.  Would you mind sharing his rationale?

Thanks!

Offline KillianL

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 11:09:37 PM »
You bet.   :)  He does not fit or sell the Edea boots, citing the following reasons:

1. They only come in 1 width........because of this he says he cannot guarantee the fit of the boot.
2. You can't level the soles and heels to any blades........because of this it's nearly impossible to get the proper blade alignment on them.
3. The heels and soles are extremely narrow.........if a skater needs their blades mounted to the far inside or outside.........can't be done.

I have read Edeas can be heat molded, but that to gain width, length is lost.  For me, #3 would be the most likely dealbreaker.  I pronate big time so my blades are way to the insides, on both feet.  Based on what I understand about Edea blade mounting, you've got to be able to get tools inside the boot to affix the blades - so a sole mount too close to either side of the boot is going to be a problem.

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
I'm eager to see how I'll be doing after a year of unlimited ice time- provided that I keep my job. :)

Skating Goals:
1. Pass Intermediate and Novice MITF.
2. Test Juvenile and Intermediate freeskate.
3. Score level 4 spins in competition.

Off-ice:
1. Go to ballet whenever I don't work.
2. Go to the gym every week.

Offline treesprite

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 5
  • Returning from a past skating life.
    • Ice Skate Forum
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »
You bet.   :)  He does not fit or sell the Edea boots, citing the following reasons:

1. They only come in 1 width........because of this he says he cannot guarantee the fit of the boot.
2. You can't level the soles and heels to any blades........because of this it's nearly impossible to get the proper blade alignment on them.
3. The heels and soles are extremely narrow.........if a skater needs their blades mounted to the far inside or outside.........can't be done.

I have read Edeas can be heat molded, but that to gain width, length is lost.  For me, #3 would be the most likely dealbreaker.  I pronate big time so my blades are way to the insides, on both feet.  Based on what I understand about Edea blade mounting, you've got to be able to get tools inside the boot to affix the blades - so a sole mount too close to either side of the boot is going to be a problem.

Thanks for this information. A couple of people have tried telling me to get them because they are lighter (my Jackson EPs are really heavy). I hadn't planned on getting them, but now I think I will take the idea completely out of the future picture. I have to have split widths and have to have the right foot blade set inward. 

KillianN,
Did your blades have to be off-set to the point where they go over the edge of the boot?  If so, did any shop give you grief about doing it?

Offline eillie

• Total GOE: 0
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »
Looking at other people's skating resolutions is pretty motivational!  But as for me, I haven't been skating for long, and I guess I'm not taking it super seriously (yet).   :)

1. Start taking private lessons with a coach.
2. Be able to do a one-foot (scratch?) spin, just because I think it looks pretty cool!
3. Work on flexibility and balance off-ice with yoga.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
I picked 13 for 2013  ;)

1. Improve 3 turns backwards and forwards, inside and outside so that they are large and nice enough to pass Silver Moves test.

2. All spirals have free leg above hip height.

3. Pass USFS Silver Moves test.

4. Pass ISI Siver FS test.

5. Sit spin with the butt below 90 degrees.

6. Axel - land one!

7. A consistent backspin with 10 revs feet crossed.

8. Master ISI FS 4 Dance step.

9. Learn brackets.

10. Have a consistent spin combo of foward camel (5 rev), back camel (4 rev), foward sit spin (5 revs).

11. Improve the height and flow of all my single jumps and combos.

12. Have a consistent camel layback combo.

13. Skate a competitive Bronze program with style and expression.

------I would also love as a bonus to be able to do a hydroblade and a twisted sit spin.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 02:56:53 AM »
Keeping my 2013 Skating Resolutions simple and very generic:

- Be more confident in my own skating abilities (or, if you want to put it another way, be less of a head case)

If I can get that, then a lot of other stuff is going to follow.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 08:50:27 AM »
I think we should all resolve to have more fun in skating.  Goals and resolutions help us achieve, which is fun in a different way. Still, spend a little time appreciating the ice and the skills you have.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 02:40:47 PM »
I'm going to go easy:

1. Pass PB MITF and FS (January)
2. Consistant one foot-->scratch spin
3. Get half flip to full flip
4. Compete.

Goal one is met!  I passed MITF and FS this morning.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 11:42:41 PM »
I think we should all resolve to have more fun in skating.  Goals and resolutions help us achieve, which is fun in a different way. Still, spend a little time appreciating the ice and the skills you have.
I absolutely agree. I didn't put this down for my goals, but more than anything I just want to rediscover the magic in skating.

Offline lemongranita

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »
My first post here, hello!

1. Get a consistent test-passable sit spin
2. Score points for a jump (any jump) in IJS competition
3. Attempt an Axel
4. Be ready to put in for Field Moves 3

Offline KillianL

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »
Thanks for this information. A couple of people have tried telling me to get them because they are lighter (my Jackson EPs are really heavy). I hadn't planned on getting them, but now I think I will take the idea completely out of the future picture. I have to have split widths and have to have the right foot blade set inward. 

KillianN,
Did your blades have to be off-set to the point where they go over the edge of the boot?  If so, did any shop give you grief about doing it?

On the Riedells I have now, the blade on the left boot is mounted exactly in line with the inside edge of the sole, but not over - I didn't need quite that much correction.  I mounted them myself, so I didn't get grief from anyone.   ;)  Ultimately, I scrapped the Edea idea altogether.  I just snagged a pair of Riedell Gold Star 375s (current year model), brand new for $300.  The seller advised they're factory "seconds" because of a shallow scrape off of the white upper that was made when the tech finishing the heel slipped with the sander.  I had the seller send a photo first (attached) and I've done much, much worse with my own toe picks.  They're otherwise pristine!  For almost 50% off I will be happy to live with that factory-formed scar.  :)  Now to choose blades... sigh.  I don't love my coro aces, but I haven't tried anything else.  Coach says Gold Seals, I say OUCH! to the price.  TBD.

I digress... my conclusion as far as the Edeas go is that they're probably fine for folks with "normal" feet.  Several girls at my rink with nice-looking feet (no bunions, corns, calluses, bone spurs, flat arches, etc.) use them and love them.  I had an opportunity to try a pair of Edeas at resale, owned by one of these teens who has the same street shoe size as me, and I couldn't even get into them.  They seemed to be the same width from toe to heel, and my feet are much wider at the forefoot than at the heel.  Upon further reflection, I've noticed these same girls also go through the Edeas awfully fast - a pair a season, and they're just doing doubles.  One of the girls uses the highest Edea model and tears through them every few months (and she JUST started working Axel/doubles).  This didn't inspire confidence in the Edea brand.  Riedells may not be perfect but they do stand the test of time, and being leather I can punch them out to accomodate my special foot anatomy.  :laugh:

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2013, 11:13:55 PM »
Only two goals for me:
1. Get healthy. Recover fully from injury to my knees and lower back.
2. Attempt my first test, adult pre-bronze moves.

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
1) Pass gold skills (they're phasing these tests out, no date announced yet, and I'd hate to have my senior silver skills

WHAT???  I hadn't heard that!  Although it explains why I've seen so many people pushing through skills tests.  I guess I better get cracking!

Offline DrillingSkills

• Dreaming of Diamond Dances
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 09:28:37 PM »
WHAT???  I hadn't heard that!  Although it explains why I've seen so many people pushing through skills tests.  I guess I better get cracking!

I first heard of it shortly after I passed prelim about 3 years ago. At the 2011 AGM, they said they would be replaced by something called "Fundamentals", probably incorporating the stroking exercises currently done as part of the freestyle elements test. In September, I seem to recall reading that they'd be kept at least until the 2013-2014 season - I'm hoping that was inclusive. As of October, there was no firm date set, only a promise that members would be informed ahead of time (how much, I don't know). Good luck!

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 12:33:08 AM »
I first heard of it shortly after I passed prelim about 3 years ago. At the 2011 AGM, they said they would be replaced by something called "Fundamentals", probably incorporating the stroking exercises currently done as part of the freestyle elements test. In September, I seem to recall reading that they'd be kept at least until the 2013-2014 season - I'm hoping that was inclusive. As of October, there was no firm date set, only a promise that members would be informed ahead of time (how much, I don't know). Good luck!

I can only hope that what they replace it with will be much better - I've heard so many complaints (having to retest all three sections after failing one part, unlike dance, etc).  While I would say that they could use some work, this sort of skating test is extremely useful.  I hope they keep the goal of developing skating skills (turns, etc)... it'd be a shame to have to changed to power stroaking/skating which is what the free tests include in my opinion.

However, in the mean time, I better rattle off some tests before they change them or I will have wasted a whole lot of money  :-[  This does explain why I've seen lots of kids taking lots of skills tests, lol.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »
Well, I achieved one of my goals - I now have several skater friends at my rink who I chat to and practice with if we're on the ice at the same time  :love:
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »
It's the last day of January, so I suppose if I'm going to post goals for this year, I should go ahead and do it!

1. Skate in two local competitions, March and September. My goal for March is to not self-destruct. My goal for September is to skate clean.
2. Test silver moves and pre-bronze dances in April (and pass)
3. Test bronze free skate, probably in the October - December time frame (and pass! - with an eye towards Nationals in 2014.)
4. Start axel and double salchow (and land them--haha! But this is my number one desire.)
5. 15 revolution scratch spin (I did a 12 rev one the other day, so this may actually be achievable)
6. consistent back spin and sit spin with centered 4-6 revolutions each
7. 3 revolutions on camel spin and maybe layback spin
8. CCW outside spreadeagle
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.