You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Suggestions for "Power Snacks"?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
Suggestions for "Power Snacks"?
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
Here is my situation: I skate about 5 hours/week, work out about 5 days/week. I'm 6' and weigh between 145-150. I was pretty stable at 148 but have dropped a few pounds in the past weeks. I think it is because I'm a crappy cook and I work fulltime, so lunch is like 2 wraps a muffin and juice at Timmies drive thru. I always eat a big breakfast, 3 scrambled eggs, toast, coffee, juice, vitamins. But supper is a light meal, a sandwich or something. Anyhow, I cannot eat large meals anymore...I went to a banquet for work and had one decent plate, plus dessert....didn't get my money's worth ;D I think if really made a proper lunch and supper this wouldn;t be an issue. What I'm looking for are suggestions for pre-packaged single-serving, eat-on-the-run, not full of chemical crap foods. I've never tried anything like a "meal in a glass" shake thing. Does anyone have suggestions, stuff they like? It should have lots of nutrition/protein etc. I'm not into crunchy granola stuff... :P  I'm kind of a grazer. My target weight is 150, I've been around that since I was 20.

Oh, and it has to be available in Canada... :)

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Suggestions for "Power Snacks"?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
nuts, string cheese, fresh fruit - these tend to be snacks for my skater.

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:03:35 PM »
Not sure about single serve packages but I've premixed almonds and dried cranberries before.  I thought it was delicious and easy to do in baggies.

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
I eat these little granola square things. They have dark chocolate on them, and they're really good for you! My breakfast is usually just a cup of jello and a bottle of water somedays, but I find that granola is very filling! (and good for you!) Have you tried some dried fruit? My rink has vending machines full of the stuff. It does look a little gross, like shribbly space food, but it's not half bad.  ;)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
I've started to pack little bags of chia seeds.  Then I can add them to drinks (realy not bad in apple or orange juice) or yogurt.  They really keep you full and they have a big following for those looking to avoid hydration.  This is what they are reporting online: Why should you should eat chia now? Because just 2 tablespoons of chia seeds has:
Five times the amount of calcium in milk (plus boron which helps you absorb it)
Three times the amount of antioxidants in blueberries
Three times the amount of iron in spinach
Three times the amount of fiber in oatmeal
Two times the amount of protein of any other bean, seed or grain
Two times the amount of potassium in a banana

I'm not sure it's true... http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3061/2

But it doesn't hurt and it's easy to carry around.

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »
Wow :o  Those chia seeds sound awesome! I'm going to track them down... never heard of them and I've been grocery shopping for myself for 20 years.

Offline karrot

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
Jerky!!  Any meat is good. Dried cherries and almonds mixed together, or a cut up apple with nut butter.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
In winter times I absolutely need to eat warm food for a meal. Thermal cup is my best friend on an extended rink trip.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
I like o bake energy ball - peanut butter, flax or oats, honey and then you can add chocolate chips, cranberries, dried fruit, nuts, etc. can freeze if you make large batches.