You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Bitten by the bug!  (Read 2234 times)

Offline karrot

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Bitten by the bug!
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:18 AM »
Howdy there!

So I'm new here... just been lurking all week. :) My husband and I just decided to take up skating again for the first time since we were teenagers (we're 30+ now) and we've started going to the rink every week on one of our days off.

So by now we've braved every type of rental skate available and still managed to lap that rink a couple hours at a time with huge grins on our faces. :D  Holy crap, those blades are dull.  So we're gonna buy super nice new skates in a couple weeks, and went into the rink's pro shop to get fitted after today's public skate. After extensive Internet research this week, I thought the Jackson Freestyle would probably be the most appropriate boot for me since I'm both tall (5'9") and of a medium build (150-155 lb.) Also not a first time beginner. My feet were measured in the shop and, to my surprise, turned out the same as the measuring I'd done at home (I measured to 6.5 B both times.) I guess the reason I was especially surprised is that I wear a 6.5 shoe anyway and I was expecting the skate measurement to be smaller, maybe a 6. When I tried on the skate, it felt great! Just the right amount of support for my little ankles and feet. The boot felt a little long, though - when I kicked my heel to the back, my toes weren't touching the end of the boot inside. For me, that extra space isn't even normal in the shoes I wear. The boot felt lovely and so snug everywhere, but I'm afraid that if I got a boot that was a little too long, it would be huge inside once broken in. Perhaps I should see if they have a 6 B or C in stock next week? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Re: Bitten by the bug!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:09:44 AM »
Hmm I wouldn't want a skate that's too long...is there another pro shop where you can get your feet measured again?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:46:39 AM »
You have tiny feet compared to your height. I'm a loooooot shorter than you and wear US size 6-6.5 in street shoes, size 5 in Jackson skates. How long is your foot?

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:16:45 AM »
I wouldn't get skates that are too long to begin with.  Try a 6B and if it's too snug, have it stretched. 

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 09:16:35 AM »
If you can try on a smaller size, do it. I'm on my second pair of Jackson Freestyles because my first were extraordinarily big on me. I wear a size 10 street shoe, but I'm probably more like a 9.5 wide, but it's very rare to find that size. My first Freestyles were a 10C and I took some nasty spills from my foot slipping forward inside the boot and I got some really bad foot cramps from shoving bits of towel in the front of the boot.

When I went around to various skate shops looking to be refitted, I was measured on the Jackson measuring stick and my foot came up to the 9.5 marker, but I knew that my skates were more than half a size too long on me. I finally convinced the guy I originally ordered them through to get me an 8.5 and 9 to try on. I went with the 8.5C. I can't imagine having gone with something bigger because I've even had some heel slippage in these, though re-heat molding seems to have helped.

Also, welcome to the ice and welcome to skatingforums!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
My skate size (Jackson freestyle) and street shoe size are the same but I found I needed a wider skate (C) than I do in shoes.  Will the shop order you a pair in a wider width so you can compare the comfort of the fit?

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you've done quite a bit of research already. Like everyone said, definitely try out a smaller size. If you're already feeling that there's space, it's definitely too large.

Edit: Just for comparisons sake, I wear 8/9 street shoes, and 7C GAM (similar to Jackson) skates.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
I wear a 7.5 or 8 street shoe and a 6.5 jackson.. I would presume you need a 5.5 or a 6 for a good fit.  If they feel too long, they ARE too long - you should practically feel like your toes are hitting the end of the boot, but without being scrunched up.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
Welcome to skatingforums, and welcome back to skating!

See if you can pull the sole out of the skate (it may be glued down in there) and put your foot down on it to get a better sense of where the foot is.

I was measured several times and always came back as a 6.5 in Jacksons. I went through two pairs of Freestyles in 16 months -- they kept breaking down. Finally someone else at a highly recommended pro shop two hours away measured my feet and said I was actually a 5.5. I was nervous about ordering them, but guess what, they fit.

If you're just planning on skating around the rink and not doing more advanced single jumps or taking lessons, Classiques might work just as well for you, and they're cheaper. Of course, it's also nice to have something slightly more advanced if you can skate in it, in case you decide you do want to get more serious.

Offline karrot

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
You have tiny feet compared to your height. I'm a loooooot shorter than you and wear US size 6-6.5 in street shoes, size 5 in Jackson skates. How long is your foot?

Yup, my feet and ankles are quite tiny. It's why I feel most comfortable in a moderately stiff boot, even as a second-time beginner. :) When I used my own tape measure on the floor to measure my feet at home, I was wearing tights under a thin pair of trouser socks and both feet measured to 9 3/8 in., which is squarely between sizes 6 - 6.5 on the Jackson chart, I think. When I stood on the insole of that skate boot in size 6.5 B though, it was probably almost half an inch too long at the toe. Perfect width-wise though. Yesterday, when I was fitted while wearing only one layer of trouser sock, the measurements on the Jackson stick were all wack. Maybe from having been wearing those worn-out Softec style rentals for the previous two hours.

Thanks for the assurance everyone! I am going to call ahead before we go to the public skate next week and see if they have any smaller sizes/different widths for me to try. If the 6B is the right length at least, I think the width will probably be tweaked just enough in the heat molding procedure and in breaking in.

Oh, and I am glad to see that the newest Freestyle skate outfit comes with a slightly upgraded blade this year - the Aspire instead of the Mirage. Is it enough to prevent me from wanting to save 60 bucks by buying last year's model on Amazon though? :\

My husband's lucky - seems fitting him with a sweet pair of hockey skates is a little simpler. :) We're both stoked on our new hobby! I'll probably want to take group lessons right after the holidays to make sure I don't teach myself any bad habits.