You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Gash in the toe of my boot  (Read 2522 times)

Offline RosiePosie.iskates

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 37
Gash in the toe of my boot
« on: November 05, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »
Well, so much for re-selling my boots in great condition when I'm done with them :(Somehow my toepick managed to find the toe of my boot in my double salchow today. My air position was really tight and my blade got caught on my legwarmer therefore, I landed with my toepick directly against the toe of my boot.

Anyhow, this funny landing created a deep, triangular gash in the toe of my boot. It's deep, really deep. To give you an idea, you would probably stick the whole post of a stud earing in it. It's almost 1cm in width. Any tips on what I should do? I don't want water to get in there....so I was considering plugging it with sno-seal and then taping over it. Any recommendations?  :)
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Gash in the toe of my boot
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
It happens.  Most every boot has gashes in them.

I've never done anything with mine and my boots have all been fine.  I would actually worry that taping might make it worse if you don't change the tape regularly, because moisture may collect under the tape.  Just make sure to check that the area is dry, at the same time you dry your blades.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
Thanks! Just wanted to make sure so I don't do something wrong to the boots. My skate sharpener said to tape it, so I'm at a dilemma. I might try it both ways.  ??? If I do tape them, I'll make sure to change the tape regularly so that water doesn't get up in there somehow.
Don't practice it until you don't do it wrong, practice until you can't do it wrong.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:01:24 PM »
My skate guy filled it with something - maybe clear epoxy?

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
I would just put tape over it.  I did that with. I did that with my last skates.
And don't worry about gnashing it.  I hady new skates only a couple of weeks before getting the first gash in one of them.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
I've never done anything special to mine.. and I've never had a problem because of the gashes and various dings.. but I have to admit the day I did this one I almost cried... because I took out a pretty massive chunk of my boot.. everything before that had been fairly minor damage.  The one by my heel was from the first fall I had trying a jump when I started skating again 2 1/2 years ago... I think it was maybe the second time I skated in those boots.

I don't think I've done any damage to my new boots yet... but I know it will happen.  My old boots were pretty sliced up over the toes.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 02:03:24 PM »
I've always thought having gashed-up boots gave you some street cred. The most advanced skaters at my rink have very scuffed up boots and ripped over-the-boot or footless tights to go with them for practice.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone! I decided just to tape it and see how it goes, didn't fill it in with anything though.. it almost went through the toe of the boot clear into the inside! My sharpener but something inside to make sure it doesn't become a hole straight through.  ;)

I've always thought having gashed-up boots gave you some street cred. The most advanced skaters at my rink have very scuffed up boots and ripped over-the-boot or footless tights to go with them for practice.

Yeah, I see that alot at my rink too. :) Seems to be a catching fashion trend.  :D

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »
Well, so much for re-selling my boots in great condition when I'm done with them :(Somehow my toepick managed to find the toe of my boot in my double salchow today. My air position was really tight and my blade got caught on my legwarmer therefore, I landed with my toepick directly against the toe of my boot.

Anyhow, this funny landing created a deep, triangular gash in the toe of my boot. It's deep, really deep. To give you an idea, you would probably stick the whole post of a stud earing in it. It's almost 1cm in width. Any tips on what I should do? I don't want water to get in there....so I was considering plugging it with sno-seal and then taping over it. Any recommendations?  :)

My daughter's skates always look horribly scraped up and have a ton of gashes in them. I actually like seeing them a tad beat up because that means she is working on stuff anf earning every mark. :) Her current boots looks great still, but they are only about 6 weeks old. LOL!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
Love the dark green blades sarahspins!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C