You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Insulated boot covers  (Read 3782 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Insulated boot covers
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
I've started to skate for a couple hours plus at a time, and I was wondering, what with winter coming, if insulated boot covers make a difference?

My feet aren't particularly sore after I get off the ice, but I was thinking that with boot covers helping keep my feet warm, I might feel inclined to skate a little longer.

I saw the edea ones, and I really liked them.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Insulated boot covers
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:11:28 PM »
One of our coaches had the white ones that make your skates look like "smurf feet".  Said they didn't work because the "cold" comes up from the ice, not so much from the surrounding air.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »
One of our coaches had the white ones that make your skates look like "smurf feet".  Said they didn't work because the "cold" comes up from the ice, not so much from the surrounding air.

I was looking at those online. Thanks for saving me some money. Maybe I can put a thin layer of something under my present superfeet (they've flattened out), my toes are so cold. What I really need is something that is like a toe cap that covers the front half of my boot, (top and bottom) to keep my toes warm.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 08:48:31 PM »
I saw something called thermal insoles; they were silver in colour ... the work like an old dog bed we had, where the body heat is reflected "back" to keep feet warm ... maybe something like that ...

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
I saw something called thermal insoles; they were silver in colour ... the work like an old dog bed we had, where the body heat is reflected "back" to keep feet warm ... maybe something like that ...

I used a pair of thermal insoles in my old hiking boots, and they were great.  I have the Ice Lights neoprene boot covers, which help for about the first half hour.  The best thing I've ever found, was to put boot warmers in before leaving the house.  I made them myself: fill an old pair of knee highs or socks with uncooked rice.  Tie them off at intervals into thirds or fourths.  Tie the top, of course.  Throw them in the microwave for a minute or so, and then into your boots.  Be careful not to overheat, as then your boots may be un-shaped.
My glass is half full :)