You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: First Pair of Skates?  (Read 1437 times)

Offline tzbb

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
First Pair of Skates?
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »
I have recently gotten my Gamma badge and up until now I've been using hand-me-down skates from family members. I'm looking to buy my first pair of skates and my pro shop recommended the GAM Horizons. I'm concerned that these skates won't last me for too long (and I definitely want them to last more than 2 years as I'll be spending $200 on them). I've been landing waltz jumps for quite a while and I've also started working on toe loops before the summer. Will I be able to learn the rest of the single jumps in these gam skates? If not what other skates should I look into?

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
Re: First Pair of Skates?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:10:25 PM »
I have the same skates as you! How long they will last you depends on your size/weight, how hard you are on your skates and how often you skate. I weigh a bit less than 120 lbs. I used to skate 2-3 times a week for the most part in those, then in the last month or two, 3-4 times a week. The GAM Horizons started breaking down after 8-9 months. But I love jumping and most of my time skating is spent on practicing jumps, so I'm probably harder on the boots. I landed up to my Lutz in these, so learning the single jumps (not sure about axel) is definitely okay, provided they haven't broken down before that.

I don't really know that much about skates since these are still the only one I've bought, so I don't want to offer any bad advice on whether they are suitable for you or not. Just wanted share my experiences :) Good luck buying your own first pair of skates!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:34:45 PM »
You should also talk to your coach or instructor. It's hard for us to make a recommendation when we haven't seen you skate, and the instructor will also have a better idea of what you'll be working on in a year or two.

More than two years seems like a long time to expect skates to last, although that also depends on how you skate and how frequently. It might also be hard to find a pair of skates that aren't too stiff for you now but yet will be supportive enough for the jumps you're landing in two years. I've talked to relatively new skaters who went the stiffest, most expensive route with skates thinking they'd last longer and were so miserable in them they couldn't do anything and didn't want to skate.

Offline tzbb

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:43:11 PM »
Thanks for your responses!

I was actually a little concerned that they were recreational only skates and wouldn't allow me to progress as much in terms of jumping. My coach says to trust the pro shop so I guess they'll be fine.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
They are deemed to be more of recreational skates though I think. But they were still much better (toe picks, boot support) than my actual recreational skates I had before them. Nevertheless, I did manage to learn quite a bit on them, but they're not enough for me now (support wise and the fact that they've broken down so soon since they're not meant to be jumped on so much) and I have to get new boots. Honestly, if I could have know beforehand what my progress would be and if I knew more about boots then, I would have gotten something a little better. But again, it really all depends on your progress and everything. Good luck.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
More than two years seems like a long time to expect skates to last, although that also depends on how you skate and how frequently.

I got well more than five years out of my Competitors.  I started at crossovers and finished at toe/sal.  I was near 200 pounds and skating three times a week.  I actually got more than five years (2003-2011) but life got in the way for a couple of years and I didn't skate.  They had no creases, but the lining was wearing off the tongues and the heel was starting to separate from the boot on one.

I think two years as an adult is a reasonable expectation as long as she isn't skating 10 hours a week doing doubles--and the boots are appropriate and fitted.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)