You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Temporary vs. Permanent Mounting Screws  (Read 4191 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Temporary vs. Permanent Mounting Screws
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:36 AM »
When you buy a pair of skates, the blade is often mounted "temporarily."  That means that the manufacturer or blade-mounter only puts in the screws that use the slotted holes in the blade plate.  This is to allow the blade to be repositioned if you need an adjustment during the first few weeks of use.

Once you're sure the blades are aligned correctly, you're supposed to have the "permanent screws" installed in the round holes of the blade plate.  This secures the blade to the sole of the boot and keeps the screws from coming loose.  This is especially important if you are using the skates for jumps.  Most fitters recommend against doing a lot of jumps, especially doubles/triples, on a temporary mount.

Some mfgs/fitters use all the holes right up front, which makes adjustments a PITA - the holes have to be plugged first to remount.  PVC-bottomed skates are usually in this case and only a handful of skate technicians will move/remount a blade on PVC, ime.  Leather-soled skates don't phase the fitters, but some are skittish about the plastic-bottomed skates.

Most people buy skates and forget about the permanent screws.  I have a student who is STILL skating on temp screws after a year.  I've reminded and nagged, but I guess she'll have to learn the lesson herself when the blade comes loose.  (That tell-tale sound of a clicking blade while walking is always the giveaway.)

If you're sure the blades are aligned properly, and you're skating on a temporary mount, get the permanent screws installed.  Even if you have the permanent screws installed, check them monthly to make sure none have worked their way loose.  Tighten any loose screws.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
Re: Temporary vs. Permanent Mounting Screws
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
I did double jumps on my temporary mount and they were coming loose after less than two weeks.  I waited another month before having the permanent screws put in, just because I was busy and couldn't get over there.  He was not happy with me!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:50:10 AM »
I skated for months on a temp mount because I didn't know I needed to get a permanent one. I finally mentioned it to my coach when I noticed my blades wiggled back and forth.

Evidently I'd gotten used to the wiggly blades, because I couldn't spin for weeks after I got the permanent mount.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:37:05 PM »
Thanks for the useful info, FigureSpins!

Would you have to go back to the original fitter to permanently mount the screws? Or would any other pro-shop guy do?
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
Thanks for the useful info, FigureSpins!

Would you have to go back to the original fitter to permanently mount the screws? Or would any other pro-shop guy do?

Any knowledgeable pro shop can do it; the shop that sold the skates usually does it for free.  Another shop might charge a fee since they're servicing someone else's sale.

FYI: my student dropped her skates off for sharpening and I reminded her to ask them to put in the screws.  She remembered!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 02:12:31 AM »
Thank you FigureSpins!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/