You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ankle sleeves for ankle support  (Read 5565 times)

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
Ankle sleeves for ankle support
« on: August 27, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
Has anyone ever used these ankle sleeves for support? (not for sore spots/breaking in boots)
http://www.mcdavidusa.com/Product/431R/MCDAVID_Level_1_Ankle_Sleeve.aspx

I'm not considering it because I've injured my ankle, but more for prevention. My boots (GAM Horizon) are either starting to break down or are not stiff enough for me now, probably both. I have to lace them really tight, and after I've been on the ice and my feet have "settled in", I have to relace them again. If I don't, then I sometimes wobble when I land a jump, or I wobble and can't really jump off the edge from the right foot (ie. I can't do the loop jump). It's fine once I relace the right foot, so I don't think it's my technique problem (I hope).

I did not have this problem when I first had the boots, but I don't know if that's just because I wasn't jumping as hard/high back then. They've always fit very nicely, so it's not a fitting problem. The ankle bend place is also creased. My coach said that I'll probably need new boots by winter at the latest (that's so soon!). I want to put off spending a lot on new boots as late as possible, but don't want to hurt my ankle, so was looking into some kind of ankle support I can wear with the skates.

So back to my question. If anyone's used these ankle sleeves, or anything similar, do you feel that they help with ankle support at all? Are they thin enough to go into the boot if my boots are already well-fitting? I guess the upper ankle area is slightly looser now on the problematic foot, so there's a leeeetle bit of space there.
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Ankle sleeves for ankle support
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:20:57 PM »
Those are beginning level recreational skates... not quite suitable for freestyle levels, especially landing any jumps or looking to progress.  It's probably time to look at upgrading, rather than figuring out a "bandaid" solution to fix boots that just weren't meant to withstand what you're doing in them.  Looking at new boots sooner rather than later would be wise.

Offline Janie

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 02:30:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice Sarah!

I've been looking at this comparison of skating level and boots, and realized I probably need much stiffer boots now:
https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skates.html

But another reason I don't want to buy new skates right now, asides from the money, is because I really want to test pre-bronze MITF and freeskate end of November (I won't be skating much till almost end of September, so that just leaves Oct & Nov), so I don't want to be breaking new boots in during this time. I know it's definitely better for me to just get new boots soon, but I'm hoping I can use these till at least December.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 03:04:44 AM »
Unless you are way overbooted it normally takes just a week or two to feel comfortable on the ice again (and for some, only a few sessions).  When I didn't switch mine out before my test session it was because I only got my blades in about a week before I tested.  If I'd had a few weeks or more and could have gotten more sessions in I would have switched earlier.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:55 AM »
Change your skates now.  You'll be spending so much money on the test - why gamble on the skates lasting that long?  I've seen skaters get a retest because their broken-down skates made them wobble like Weebles on their edges.  It takes about four-six hours to break in a pair of skates.  There will be plenty of time to do so before the test session.

ETA: Hadn't realized that the GAM Horizon is a rec skate.  Your skates are shot and you need to upgrade sooner, rather than later.  Replace the skates now because you need a freestyle boot/blade and there will be a longer adjustment period.  As sarahspins says, don't overboot yourself. 

Get the skates heat-molded so they fit better from the beginning, and have the blades checked/sharpened right away so you're set to take the ice.  You can even wear them (with guards) around the house to help speed break-in.  Do not wait until after the test - you're already struggling and it will only get worse as you continue to skate in broken-down skates.  THe ankle sleeves won't solve this problem.

Using broken-down skates is a quick route to ankle pain.  I think ankle sleeves change the fit of the boot and provide no support compared to a new boot; duct taping the boot or taping your ankle is better than ankle sleeves.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »
What Sarahspins and FigureSpins say... Change your boots now! If you are having such obvious signs of breakdown now as you've mentioned above - it is very possible your current boots may not even last until your test!

I know the cost of new boots is inconvenient, but think about this... The last thing you need going into your test is wondering if your boots will be suppportive enough to land a jump or hold an edge without wobbling! Think of how annoyed you would be if you found out (3 months down the line) that some of the problems you may be having now, are down to your boots not your technique!

I tried to keep my last pair a little too long last year and the last month+ was just a complete waste of time and money for ice & lessons etc, looking back on it! The 1st skate in my new, much stiffer skates and a lot of the problems with elements or edges etc I'd been having, completely disappeared! It took a couple of sessions to get used to the differences (mainly due to my blade being moved to a new position) and get a little more knee bend but then I was good to go!

Personally I'd change them ASAP so you have plenty of time to get used to them before your test and not risk having to change them at the last minute before your test anyway.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:11:46 AM »
November test is a long time away, change the boots now :) Those back inside edges require strong pushes and no wobbles!

if everything works perfectly then less than one week for break in, but sometimes it takes longer if the skater needs to punch out some spots, align the blades differently, or get shim inserts etc. For me it usually takes a month and a few trips to the pro shop before settling in the boots.

But again, November is still far away, happy boots shopping! Hope you have good fitters nearby.

Offline Janie

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:54:12 PM »
It's not really as bad as it sounds. I only wobble sometimes on jump landings and loop takeoffs, nothing else so far. :sweat: I don't think they're that broken down yet.
But I took all of your advice (thank you all!) and talked to coach today about what boots I should be getting if I get them now. (Now I have some other problems regarding coach's advice but I'll be going completely off-topic so I think I'll start another thread for that)
I will be gone for a bit more than two weeks and it's not like I'll be buying skates the second I'm back, so I still have a while to look around and scare up some money :-\
Thanks again, Sarahspins, FigureSpins, taka and jjane45!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
Looking at the chart that you are referencing, and knowing only Canadian levels - I would say that their recommendations are iffy at best - as many of the boots seem to be poorly matched in terms of skating skills. The only really good thing I see on the page is the disclaimer that your height, weight, etc must be taken into consideration.

If you really want to use such charts, go to the actual manufacturer's websites and review their recommendations - it'll be a bit more accurate.

Offline Janie

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »
Oh I didn't realize they'd have them! How silly. I will take a look. Thank you!!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 08:15:19 PM »
I thought that the only reason the boot shaft gives you support is bec it is connected to the sole. It keeps the sole pressed against the foot. I've worn ankle braces while I skate. They support the muscles of the ankle only. They don't do anything for the boot stability.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/