You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: too much pride!!  (Read 9170 times)

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
too much pride!!
« on: August 21, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
I've had all kinds of issues with my feet over the past year--terrible, horrible metatarsalgia that took months to find an orthotic that would even fit into my skate. I would teach from the side, and didn't skate/practice for myself at all. It's much better now but if I'm on my feet a lot on any given day it takes more than a week for it to calm down & subside.

Even so, 2 hours is pretty much my limit now to how long I can even bear to be in my skates, especially if I'm teaching someone where I'm just standing around & not moving much. I used to teach 4 hours after having practiced an hour myself, with no problem. Now that isn't even a remote possibility.

It's definitely the skates that have caused this problem. There is NO ROOM for even a slightly padded insole.

I've thought about the Jackson Softec skates, to use them for teaching. I've heard the blade is decent, and that they are super comfy & padded. But my pride is keeping me from trying them! I'd feel silly wearing them, even if it is just for teaching. I think I need to get over this hangup, as my current situation really needs to be resolved. I'm also concerned about being able to demo things in them.

I could wear leg warmers pulled over them so maybe they wouldn't be very noticeable..... what do you think? Has anyone tried them? I have students on silver dances and junior moves--how much demonstration is even possible in those skate/blades?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: too much pride!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Those are my friend's skates!  She loves them and said it feels like wearing sneakers.  She is just skating for fun though - chasing her kids on the ice.  No jumps or spins.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
My coach has two pairs of boots. Dance and hockeys. If you're a high level skater and he's partnering he'll always wear his dance boots. Anyone else, he'll wear the hockeys. I've even seen him to toe-loops in hockeys (not sure how that's really possible but anyway).
The decision between hockeys and dance boots tends to be on when he can get blades sharpened (if he knows there's a test coming up and he can't get his boots sharpened in time he'll preserve blades by only skating in hockeys unless he needs the dance boots, otherwise he doesn't really care that much). Otherwise, he'll only wear the hockeys if his feet are hurting.

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »
I know a very respected coach who wears the Softec boots.  I have never given it a second thought when I see her on the ice.  You only have one pair of feet - I'd wear what makes you most comfortable.  Your students want your expertise and knowledge - they don't care what boots you are wearing.  If having these boots allows you to spend more time with them, I am sure they would be enthusiastic supporters!  This coach demos spins and single jumps in them just fine. 

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:07:19 PM »
Have you considered black boot covers? I love the line it creates especially if you wear black pants.

My group freestyle coach swears by his Jackson "recreational" skates. They look like black figure skates, just slightly fatter maybe. IIRC it was softec with a price tag below $200. He'd wear them for LTS lessons, and occasionally for freestyle. Whenever spins and jumps are involved he'll change into freestyle skates, don't know about moves in the field.

He's been persuading Partnering Coach to consider having 2 sets of skates too, standing in dance boots for long hours is killing his feet and wasting expensive dance blades.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »
You definitely need to take care of your feet!!!

I have been eying those soft-tec boots for a while, LOL - and our rink just got new rentals that look really comfy - you wouldn't be setting yourself back much trying them.

My coach is much older and she has trouble with her skates - she wears two different boots - her old Harlick on the good foot and a much bigger Reidel on the other.  They are different heights and the blades are different but she has adjusted - we tease her all the time but you know at the end of the day you have to go with what you are comfortable in.

Sorry to hear about your feet.  My feet hurt all the time too but my skates feel okay...

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 03:35:29 PM »
What are your current boots?  My Klingbeils have custom orthotics that are thickly padded and very comfy.  My new Edeas have such thin soles that I was in agony within an hour.  I took the orthotics out of my Klings and put them in the Edeas.  I was going to get them molded for more room above my toes, but I haven't had to.  I wonder if you could get the toe box stretched on your current boots, to leave room for more comfortable orthotic insoles.
My glass is half full :)

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
I'm in SPTeri Dance boots. There's so little room, even a very thin gel pad made it so tight I couldn't stand it. I finally found a metatarsal pad that goes just behind the ball of the foot, in the arch, and that fits & it has made a big difference. But the issue is still there & flares up too often.

I called my skate shop & they're ordering me a pair to try on. If they don't fit or I don't want them they'll just put them into inventory. I'm hoping they'll be workable! I can always put on the others if I need to demonstrate something that I can't do in the Softecs. The blade is a Mark IV, which at least has the same rocker as mine, so that will help too.

I'm also thinking of calling my PT guy to see if there's anything he can do to help.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 06:05:49 PM »
I'd second the boot cover look if you're concerned about the "professional" appearance of the softecs.  You can tell your students (and anyone else who asks!) that they're helping keep your feet warm.  No need to disclose what's under them...

As to blades:  the Mark IV is a beginner freestyle blade, and I think you skate on dance blades usually?  If you don't like the Mark IV, can you maybe find a skate pro who can switch the blade out for you?  I know the softecs have PVC soles, and many skate pros won't touch that, but it might be worth asking around - a decent blade will make a big difference to how capable (? not sure of the word I'm looking for here  :D) the boots feel under your feet.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 06:22:13 PM »
I've had all kinds of issues with my feet over the past year--terrible, horrible metatarsalgia that took months to find an orthotic that would even fit into my skate. I would teach from the side, and didn't skate/practice for myself at all. It's much better now but if I'm on my feet a lot on any given day it takes more than a week for it to calm down & subside.

Even so, 2 hours is pretty much my limit now to how long I can even bear to be in my skates, especially if I'm teaching someone where I'm just standing around & not moving much. I used to teach 4 hours after having practiced an hour myself, with no problem. Now that isn't even a remote possibility.

It's definitely the skates that have caused this problem. There is NO ROOM for even a slightly padded insole.

I've thought about the Jackson Softec skates, to use them for teaching. I've heard the blade is decent, and that they are super comfy & padded. But my pride is keeping me from trying them! I'd feel silly wearing them, even if it is just for teaching. I think I need to get over this hangup, as my current situation really needs to be resolved. I'm also concerned about being able to demo things in them.

I could wear leg warmers pulled over them so maybe they wouldn't be very noticeable..... what do you think? Has anyone tried them? I have students on silver dances and junior moves--how much demonstration is even possible in those skate/blades?

Sorry for being ignorant, but what's wrong with those skates? Why should people care? Don't they look like regular figure skates?

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 07:44:18 PM »
They look like tennis shoes!! ;D ::>)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 09:26:39 AM »
What are other options dedicated for coaches, outside of Jackson softec? :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »
What are other options dedicated for coaches, outside of Jackson softec? :)

Jackson actually makes a boot they call a coaches boot.  

I have to say, I've never seen a coach in a Softec, it would probably make me question their ability, because we have 'counter employees' who occasionally help "coach" learn to skate, and they do it in the Jackson softskate (not quite the same thing) that has the purple linings, and they are not good coaches.  To me, cheap skates = not enough staff, rush someone out on the ice.  The rink bought their skates so that they wouldn't teach in rentals (which they did at first...)

Current students probably would not judge the skates you wore, they know what kind of coach you are, but prospective ones might.  Wear boot covers if you get comfort recreational skates.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Yah, here are the Softec boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Softec-Elite-Womens-Turquoise/dp/B007P4ZNT2

Not likely to engender confidence in my coaching abilities, that's my fear. But it's kind of coming down to, either wear something like this, or teach from the side the majority of the time, which I HATE doing. I'm going to give them a try. I can at least wear them for working with lower level students & group classes.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 01:19:33 PM »
Yah, here are the Softec boots:

http://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Softec-Elite-Womens-Turquoise/dp/B007P4ZNT2

Not likely to engender confidence in my coaching abilities, that's my fear. But it's kind of coming down to, either wear something like this, or teach from the side the majority of the time, which I HATE doing. I'm going to give them a try. I can at least wear them for working with lower level students & group classes.

This is what I was thinking - that if you need to put on your dance boots for your upper level skaters you can just switch out.  I see a LOT of coaches at my rink doing stuff like this - wearing hockey skates for tots classes and then switching to figure skates when necessary.

I'd be curious t know how it goes in the Soft-tecs just from the "how do they feel" angle with respect to your low back cutouts and lack of ankle padding in the dance boots.  Wondering how these things will feel on your feet/ankles?

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I'll keep you posted! The shop said they'd come in 2 weeks or so. But they have a pair I'm going to try on, one of the lower end versions, just so I can see if the size is right.

I'm also assuming that these will be WAY less stiff than my regular boots, so we'll see how I feel about that! Also don't know how the heel height compares.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
Jackson actually makes a boot they call a coaches boot.  

Selling for $500+  :o  88)

I'd be curious to know how it goes in the Soft-tecs just from the "how do they feel" angle with respect to your low back cutouts and lack of ankle padding in the dance boots.  Wondering how these things will feel on your feet/ankles?

Ditto. Will you kindly post a review on adjusting for softec boots from dance boot and vice versa? Maybe also on demonstrating low level freestyle? Thank you in advance!

I've heard it hurts more to idly stand in dance boots compared to freestyle boots, not sure if it's because of the lower back cut AND shorter blade tails. I know I can skate for hours but cannot stand for more than 10 minutes!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »
Sorry for being ignorant, but what's wrong with those skates? Why should people care? Don't they look like regular figure skates?

They look like tennis shoes!! ;D ::>)

What market are softec skates tailored at? TBH the exterior design looks too bulky and casual, more like public skating skates. Maybe it's intentional so skaters end up with the more expensive boots  ::>)

In terms of support, did Jackson ever mention what level of skating is recommended in those? There are quite a few models in the softec line.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
They're marketed to the recreational skater, who is doing very low level (beginning) skating in them. I tried a pair on last week, yes they are very bulky. Actually the lowest level ones seemed the closest in cut to real skates--but the ankle stiffness isn't much. The "elite" have stiffer ankles, but are cut very high up on the ankle, almost into the calf. I'm not sure those will work. I'll wait till the ones they ordered come in, and then we'll see. I may end up in the lower level ones anyway!

On the flip side, I went to see my PT today. I have plantar faciitis, from the ball of my foot all the way through the achilles tendon. He did mean things to my foot, and gave me a bunch of exercises/stretches to do at home. And he thinks we can get it under control & healing fairly quickly, hurrah!! I should have gone in to him sooner.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 07:47:38 PM »
Ouch, Pheonix, PF is not something to mess around with (my husband is a long distance runner and has issues from time to time with this).  His sister is a PT and sent him a bucketload of different foot things to do to keep recurrence. I highly recommend once you are mostly recovered you maintain those exercises to keep it from recurring.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50:44 PM »
On the flip side, I went to see my PT today. I have plantar faciitis, from the ball of my foot all the way through the achilles tendon. He did mean things to my foot, and gave me a bunch of exercises/stretches to do at home. And he thinks we can get it under control & healing fairly quickly, hurrah!! I should have gone in to him sooner.

I have PF in both feet, along with heel spurs.  I second the "keep doing the stretches" advice.  It makes a world of difference.

I've been going to the PT for my ankle issue, which turned out to be a body alignment/overuse injury.  Within three weeks of starting, my skates felt different and much more comfortable.  I might not need the blade adjustments I have done by the time I'm finished.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
My coach, who was a former Olympian, wore Softec skates after she had her double hip replacement surgery.  She wore them at first because they were the only skates that would fit her feet.  She said they were very comfortable and the only reason she went back to her regular skates was because they were too worn out after a couple years to provide any support.

Offline supra

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 06:55:54 PM »

A very good Russian (ISU world level) guy coaches at my rink and occasionally wears them. Not all the time, just sometimes. Probably see him in them approximately 1/10 times I see him.

EDIT:
I believe the most I've seen him do is singles in them.

Another edit:
http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=ypMmGMIwJbewl4pYvAznfA1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E Those are the ones he wears, a bit higher end than the $60 purple lined ones. It's a good middle ground between full out custom coach boots and cheesy soft skates. Might be worth a go. I'd only buy those men's ones, since they look less cheesy than the women's ones, and are the only ones with a real blade. Might be available in white if you ask Jackson, swore I've seen them in white before. But other than that, boot covers.

Have you considered Edeas? I own a pair, but I've not skated in them yet (no blades yet) but they're quite comfy (aside from possibly needing to be punched on one foot for my toes) and have memory foam lining, and they're light, too. Supposedly the Ice Fly feels like a sneaker, but I have the Concertos which are more traditional boots in the same stiffness (but still lighter from not having a leather sole.)

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
Several of our LTS coaches wear the Softec.     They say "these are warm" and people accept that.   

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 11:02:52 AM »
Any updates, phoenix? :)

I'd only buy those men's ones, since they look less cheesy than the women's ones, and are the only ones with a real blade. Might be available in white if you ask Jackson, swore I've seen them in white before. But other than that, boot covers.

Black looks nice. If I end up getting a pair for myself, I'd prefer the guys' version!