You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lunge and boot damage  (Read 5349 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Lunge and boot damage
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:45:41 AM »
When doing lunges, which part of your boot gets damaged? Coach ok'd my lunges, and I am pretty sure my blade is not touching the ice during the lunge. However, now the leather sole has some damage in it due to contact in the ice, might be during lunge prep or lunge exit, or during the lunge itself. Is this damage expected?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Lunge and boot damage
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
I think it's during the lunge itself and a lunge mark at where the boot drags on the ice is perfectly normal. I use boot covers and try to mend the lunge mark area as needed.

Offline Bunny Hop

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 37
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
My first skating boots, which were made back in the days before internal padding, heat moulding etc, were worn thin in the spot I used to lunge, and the side of the sole was also worn away, but at least I knew I was lunging correctly (well, semi-correctly) and not dragging the blade! I used to put electrical tape over the spot to try and preserve them. Nowadays, you can get special 'skate tape' to do the same thing.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:23:44 AM »
The side of the leather sole has scuff marks from my lunges, from where it scrapes as I get down and up into the lunge.   The white part of the boot, which drags during the lunge, stays in okay condition, but I don't do them a lot.  Some kids wear that down.

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »
Yep, mine have a scuff on the leather sole too and a small area on the boot where it rubs. I just make sure the scuff on the sole stays waterproofed and don't worry about it otherwise.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
The upper on my last pair of boots was worn down quite a bit from lunges.  It was an ugly gray color and all of the painted leather had worn away.  I got new skates recently and, while working on my new program, my coach asked which lunge I like to do.  I informed her that I do not do lunges in these skates.  Maybe next year.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:56:38 PM »
I used to put electrical tape over the spot to try and preserve them. Nowadays, you can get special 'skate tape' to do the same thing.

Oh yeah, I forgot about skate tape! Should have done that with the lunge mark too :)

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
I would recommend putting some skate tape on the inside part of your skates to protect them when doing lunges.  I also tape up the toes of my skates because they take a beating as well. 

Offline spiralina

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 10
  • lutz of love!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
http://penguinspecialty.com/products/sk8tape.html

I'm not usually one for gimmicky products, but Sk8 Tape is good stuff. It seems pricey but each application lasts for ages, and each roll will tape a pair of boots 2-4 times (depending how much you tape), and it leaves much less residue than other types of tape as the adhesive is designed to function at ice rink temperatures.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

The white part of the boot is undamaged -- it's just the sole which has scuff marks. jjane, how do your boot covers work? In my case, the lunge takes them off the boot.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »
Would someone please be so kind as to take a photo of their skate tape covered skates for me to see?
I'm considering whether I should tape mine as the scratches and dents on my skates are increasing, but I want to know if I'll actually prefer the taped up look.
Thank you very much in advance!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »
I have friends who taped their skates very nicely, I did not even suspect they were taped at all.

The white part of the boot is undamaged -- it's just the sole which has scuff marks. jjane, how do your boot covers work? In my case, the lunge takes them off the boot.

All my lunge marks are on white leather parts, sole is not affected. My boot covers always stayed in place, but they also only cover the leather part, not the sole. And I did have the lunge spot taped when I bought my skates, just forgot about them lol.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
I second the Skate Tape recommendation.  I have had the same application of tape on my boot for over a year and haven't had to replace it (which reminds me, I really need to Sno Seal my skates again; that's the only time I take it off).  It really is good stuff.  Mine covers both the white boot and brown sole on the inside ball area of my left boot where it rubs on the ice during my Ina Bauer (which I do every time I skate).  For lunges, you would want the tape a little higher so it protects the white part on the side of the boot.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »
Hmmmm never thought about ina bauers. Did not see anything on the sole when I compared left and right boots.

The upper on my last pair of boots was worn down quite a bit from lunges.  It was an ugly gray color and all of the painted leather had worn away.  I got new skates recently and, while working on my new program, my coach asked which lunge I like to do.  I informed her that I do not do lunges in these skates.  Maybe next year.

I got my skates used and the toe box area was all gray. Had to cover them completely with sk8tape lest water leaks in...

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »
how do your boot covers work?

I have lunge-holes in my boot covers.  Electrical tape is good.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:32:24 PM »
I have lunge-holes in my boot covers.  Electrical tape is good.

I am not sure if she meant to cover the soles with boot covers? Guess it's possible if one takes a bigger piece of stretch fabric and do it like the over the boot tights, with hooks under the sole? :)

Also what kind of residues do different tapes leave on the skates? I have never replaced the sk8tape on the toe box since I got the skates about 2 years ago, there are obvious black traces around the tape.

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
Has anyone ever used beige Sk8Tape on the sole? Does water lodge in between the sole and the tape?

And if I don't do anything about the scuff marks, do I have to re-Sno-seal the damaged parts often?

Thanks!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »
And if I don't do anything about the scuff marks, do I have to re-Sno-seal the damaged parts often?

That would be a wise idea :)

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »

Thanks!

Yep, I Sno seal as soon as I see a new scuff. The skate shop recommended Sno sealing every 3 months, I think some people who skate a lot do it as frequently as once a month.