You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: It's all in my head!  (Read 4070 times)

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 3
It's all in my head!
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:01:34 AM »
I have a slightly irrational fear that my blades are going to snap when I jump.  :blush:
They're Club 2000 (which I didn't really want) and seem quite flimsy.
I think part of it is because I weigh just over 11stone (but look "normal" because I'm 5'10) and these are "beginner blades".
This fear is holding me back jumping as I worry that I'll land and then my blade will just break off.

So, imagine you're in my position.
Would you wait until they're dead and buy new blades or
Would you go and buy new blades anyway?

I was thinking Coronation Ace or something along those lines (although, apparently, the coaches at my rink prefer MK but I'm a slight oddity anyway...)

Oh and I would love to ask my coach but he's pretty useless at this stuff! (He doesn't even know what make his own skates are and still reccomends buying skates a size bigger than your street shoe... Great coach though!)

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: It's all in my head!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 05:58:33 AM »
You're not going to break a blade; the only one that's going to snap a blade is a big guy doing huge double, or higher, jumps and landing hard.  Plus, there would be "warning signs" on the blade such as metal fatigue lines - which a sharpener would notice.

Club 2000 are decent entry-level basic blades. If you're wanting to upgrade, then, sure, a Coro Ace would be fine, or you could get the equivalent in an MK - but, if it's just because you're worried about snapping them, then, don't worry about it  :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
I had to convert the weight, we don't use stone over here, but I think you are okay for beginner jumps. It isn't going to break. 

However, I also wouldn't wait until they are dead.  I switched from my Mirage (similar level) blades to a freestyle-level blade once I was doing jumps regularly, even though I only did salchow, toe-loop, and waltz jump.  The bigger toe pick made me feel more secure in the jumps.  If you can afford to upgrade them, you may see improvement.  My biggest area of improvement when I went to better blades was in turns, and speed in spins. 

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 10:02:14 AM »
I would say it's irrational fear.  Blades really only break if they are defective or if the skater is doing high-level jumps.

What boots are you wearing? The Club 2000 was a stock blade on the now-retired Riedell Gold Medallion skates.  That combination was fine through single jumps, even for heavier skaters because the boot had a lot of padding and support.  If you are wearing Gold Medallions, they might be broken down given their age and your height/weight.  The boot will break down before a blade breaks.  You can either take it to the pro shop to have it checked out or try this test: bend the upper part of the boot outward at the ankle.  If it's fairly easy to move it 4" or more, the boots need to be replaced.

Edit: I just looked and you're wearing Risport RF3s with Club 2000 blades?  That's a wacky combination - a high-level boot and a low-level blade.  The Club 2000 is a good all-purpose blade.  If you're already working on single jumps, then yes, move up to a Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Professional.  If you're just learning toe loops and waltz jumps now, wait until the boots break down and then upgrade both.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »
Thank you for your comments. I think I must have read about it happening/could happen and *that* law says it would happen to me!
(Plus I take things literally and am quite a worrier!)

Skittl - I could've confused us both an used kilos like my PT does!  ;)

Edit: I just looked and you're wearing Risport RF3s with Club 2000 blades?  That's a wacky combination - a high-level boot and a low-level blade.  The Club 2000 is a good all-purpose blade.  If you're already working on single jumps, then yes, move up to a Wilson Coronation Ace or MK Professional.  If you're just learning toe loops and waltz jumps now, wait until the boots break down and then upgrade both.
I originally wanted Coro Aces with whatever boot the fitter suggested but he suggested RF3s and Club 2000 and he'd spent so much time getting the fit right/trying boots that I kind of felt I had to buy them (the RF3s are great, it's the blades...).
The boots aren't showing any outward signs of wear (except a few scratches) and I'm guessing they'll last for at least another year or two so I'll be "proper jumping" by then, hence thinking of getting new blades now (the boots should last as long as the blade if I do that, was the thinking).

Other reasons for changing:
- My 3-turns used to be really secure but they're more hit and miss now
- I used to be able to spin easily but they're not so easy now (but I'm not a spinner - I'm a 100% MITF with jumps on the side person!)
- If I change now, as an adult, I'll get used to the blades while I'm learning the jumps rather than learning the jumps then having to adjust (I won't outgrow them)

If any of that makes any sense...

ETA: It's my birthday soon so I wouldn't be paying anyway!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
Honestly, if it makes you feel better, you could upgrade, but the club 2000 is fine for your level, you're definitely NOT going to snap the blade (you weigh less than I do, and I wouldn't worry that I could damage any pair of blades), and even if you do move up to Coro Ace's or Pro's in the future you wouldn't have a huge adjustment because the rocker profile is similar.  There's always "some" change in moving from old blades to new blades, but it has more to do with the fact that the spin rocker changes as the blades are sharpened and you have to adjust to it all over again with new blades, but that happens even if you stay with the same model.

BTW, my very first pair of "real" skates as a teenager (14ish) was a pair of Risport Super Cristallo's, which is the older version of the RF3.. I had double star blades on those, which are also beginner blades, so it may seem like a weird combo to some, but obviously it is done, even way back then (I'll date myself, that was 1994).  I learned all of my single jumps except for axel in those skates.  I would have kept the blades for my next pair of skates but they were the wrong size.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:09:19 PM »
BTW, my very first pair of "real" skates as a teenager (14ish) was a pair of Risport Super Cristallo's, which is the older version of the RF3.. I had double star blades on those, which are also beginner blades, so it may seem like a weird combo to some, but obviously it is done, even way back then (I'll date myself, that was 1994).  I learned all of my single jumps except for axel in those skates.  I would have kept the blades for my next pair of skates but they were the wrong size.

OTT - In 2003, we bought a pair of Super Cristallo's with Club 2000 blades attached to them (in the period of "making lots of mistakes because we knew nothing about skates and we didn't go to a real fitter") for our DD.  Weird.  What I found out later was that b/c the Super Cristallos weren't selling well, some store/distributor sold them off in a job lot with the cheapest blade they could find.

On the bright side, if anyone wants a completely non-broken in pair of Super Cristallo's in a Size 6 (used for LTS for a 65 pound child  88)) - they're sitting in my closet!

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:54:51 PM »
My friend the Big Guy, weighed close to 280lb (6'3") was doing singles. He BENT blades (parabolics) once, but he never broke them.

Evan Lysacek did break a blade and hurt his arm, but he was doing quads and probably skating 30 hours a week (who knows what that level skates).

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
My 165 lb kid has fracture lines in Gold Seals, doing 2A and triples - we actually figure it's the flying deathdrop that's killed them, though.And they're due soon for replacement anyways.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
Evan Lysacek did break a blade and hurt his arm, but he was doing quads and probably skating 30 hours a week (who knows what that level skates).

I know he wears Grafs, and I can't keep track of what kind of blades he's using.. he was using paramounts at some point, but I've seen plenty of pictures of his skates with what look like Gold Stars or Pattern 99's (not the same season).  I've heard rumors that he'll be wearing blades from skate science this coming season, but as those are relatively new to the market it may be nothing more than grandstanding from them that he even has a pair of their blades.

Regardless, any skater pounding out quads is likely to do some damage to their blades at some point.  However I still don't think that it's really that likely for a skater working on singles to have a catastrophic blade failure beyond the blade separating from the sole of the boot (which I have seen happen, but that is more of a boot/sole issue).

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 03:52:57 AM »
Regardless, any skater pounding out quads is likely to do some damage to their blades at some point.  However I still don't think that it's really that likely for a skater working on singles to have a catastrophic blade failure beyond the blade separating from the sole of the boot (which I have seen happen, but that is more of a boot/sole issue).
If I've not moved the screws (the blade has been moved by my coach) that's unlikely to happen.... right?  :blush:

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »
If I've not moved the screws (the blade has been moved by my coach) that's unlikely to happen.... right?  :blush:

That only happens when the soles of your boots are wrotten.
If you're drying your boots everytime you use them you won't have an issue.
I learnt to jump on club 2000 blades and aren't that much lighter than you are.

I think you probably have a fear of jumping and have rationalised it as a fear of your blades breaking.
Jumping is scary, but if you're just starting out, just start with little jumps. Are you comfortable doing bunny hops? Or just skating backwards and jumping up and down (no rotation)?

Offline angelgirls29

• Ice Warrior
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 05:57:38 AM »
Sarah - 1994 was a good year!

I think you probably have a fear of jumping and have rationalised it as a fear of your blades breaking.
Jumping is scary, but if you're just starting out, just start with little jumps. Are you comfortable doing bunny hops? Or just skating backwards and jumping up and down (no rotation)?
I don't mind jumping - it's the landing because of the blades. When I stand at the barrier, I'll jump and only touch the barrier when I land. It's fine when my coach is there because he can sort me out if my blades break and he knows it's just the landing.
I used to like bunny hops and still sort of do - if my blades become un-attached, the most that will happen is falling on my knees/face.
I'm fine just skating and jumping up and down as long as I don't go too high as the higher you jump the heavier your landing therefore the more likely the blade is to break.

I think if I get the Coro Aces, I'll trust them more and so I'll be able to do what my body can do rather than holding back.
Also, I don't think my soles are rotten - I waterproof them and get my coach to check the blades don't wobble every few weeks (he's used to it...).

Oh and another reason I think the Club 2000 were reccomended - my old skates had a 10 1/3" blade (iSk8 ones off eBay...) and the Club 2000 are 10 1/3" whereas the Coro Aces would be 10 1/4"?

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 07:40:31 AM »
If the worst that is going to happen when doing bunny hops is falling n your knees / face what do you think the worst that will happen when you're doing a waltz jump or a small salcow?

There is little difference between Club 2000 and Coronation Ace blades. If anything Coronation Ace is a scarier blade as there's a bigger toe pick and if you're not secure on your edges, there's a bigger risk of catching the pick and falling. I was jumping Flips on my Club 2000s before I changed blades and the change was brought about by needing new boots and the boots needing difference sized blades.

By all means upgrade to Coronation Ace (or equivalent) but if you're worried about blades breaking, you can have the same thoughts with Aces.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
Oh and another reason I think the Club 2000 were reccomended - my old skates had a 10 1/3" blade (iSk8 ones off eBay...) and the Club 2000 are 10 1/3" whereas the Coro Aces would be 10 1/4"?

No, once upon a time all of MK's blades were sized in thirds (Wilson as far as I know has been measured in 1/4" increments for a very long time).  Sometime in the mid 90's they changed over to 1/4" increments... but you still see those blades because a lot of shops had quite a lot of inventory.  Even my rink still has some in their stock (in less common sizes - quite a few under 8").